Tube questions

dodge trucker

Tractorologist
I have a pair of 24x12-12 on rims, that dont seem to want to hold air very long, one worse than the other.
Because I have so many 23-8.50/9.50-12 around I just got a deal on a box of 10 tubes that size via eBay, only way I could get them at a reasonable price was to buy the box of 10.
Is this size tube close enough to work in those 24-12-12s? Or do I have to buy "that" size?
Looks like the 24-12-12 tube is grouped with 26-12-12.

Sometimes a smaller tube will stretch just fine into a larger tire, but about all you can do is try one out since you got 10 of them. Back in the "tube" days racing at the dirt track, I remember putting 10 inch wide tubes in a 12 inch wide tire to try to get through the night when we had nothing else, and seems like they always worked. Dirt track race tires used similar air pressures to garden tractors, in the 10-20 psi range so lower pressures like that might help too.

DAC

I would do it that tube will blow up as big as it can within the tire. Now if you were traveling down the highway at 70 mph I wouldn’t. Put putting around the yard or farm I don’t think you would know the difference. I recently bought a pair off eBay for my 25x10x12 ATV tires I put on my tractor and I think that range covered several sizes.

I picked up two 18x8.50x8 tires and two 16x6x6 tires. Plus tubes for all four and the four wheels, which I don’t really need, for $30.00. So I only used the tires today. All tubes were good in the old tires. So still got the other four tubes for spares.

Noel

I have a few 18x 8.50/8, 20x10x8 and a couple of 6 inchers I can't think of right now last fall for cheap. Used but I don't care. Good tread and not completely rotted out. I have a Deere LT166 and a Dixon that can use them with spares left over.

These 2 mowers are ones I'm hoping to find new homes for, here soon. I need a couple more things and they can both be put onto CL.
The ones on the 166 were totally rotted out, I got the 1st set expressly for that machine. I see over winter one 18x8.50 held it's air the is flat. So I get to either tube the flat one or play "musical tires" to get them all to hold, but either way is just as good as while being cheaper than buying new for it.

I'm learning the ropes on this website and have a procedural question.

Should I add a question to a 20 month old thread, like this one, or should I start a new thread?

The JD X570 I just bought -a 2018- has a few tire plug episodes in its past.
Should I just buy/install tubes in the tires?

Also, are either the fronts or rears more prone to getting flats over the other?

I'm learning the ropes on this website and have a procedural question.

Should I add a question to a 20 month old thread, like this one, or should I start a new thread?

The JD X570 I just bought -a 2018- has a few tire plug episodes in its past.
Should I just buy/install tubes in the tires?

Also, are either the fronts or rears more prone to getting flats over the other?
Welcome! It probably would be a good idea to start a new thread and introduce yourself, Kira! If your tires are holding air well with plugs, I wouldn't go through the work of installing tubes. If you do decide to do tubes, I would pull the plugs or cut them off so the inside of the tire is smooth. I will say a guess that front tires are a little more vulnerable to flats than rears as they run over stuff before the rears. Seems like I have tubed more fronts than rears.

DAC

Back