We should have a dedicated tool forum

MFDAC

Tractorologist
But I will put this here.

I had to go to work this morning and had a chance to look in the scrap pile.

This Reed 24" aluminum pipe wrench was in there, so I had to grab it.
Looks pretty good at this angle.
DSCN3704.JPG

Sorry, distracted by the Bristol night race a moment!
Flip it over and the lower jaw is broken. Hook jaw is still pretty good.
DSCN3705.JPG

A closer look shows a big "hollow" area in that jaw! I would think it should have been solid steel.
DSCN3707.JPG

I ordered a new lower jaw. I don't do much plumbing that needs this big of a wrench, but they are still handy to have around anyway!

DAC

yup. and you get to 14" and above in pipe wrenches you will quickly grow to appreciate the aluminum versions vs the iron ones especially if you gotta climb around any, while lugging them along, to get to the job at hand. In a hole, 100' and 6 flights of stairs up top of a bridge crane (from my millwright days in the old steel mill), they get heavy QUICK. and REED used to be a fantastic brand. I didnt know tehe were even still around.

yup. and you get to 14" and above in pipe wrenches you will quickly grow to appreciate the aluminum versions vs the iron ones especially if you gotta climb around any, while lugging them along, to get to the job at hand. In a hole, 100' and 6 flights of stairs up top of a bridge crane (from my millwright days in the old steel mill), they get heavy QUICK. and REED used to be a fantastic brand. I didnt know tehe were even still around.
Yes, Dodge, in a spot where you can only position the wrench with one arm, aluminum wrenches are a lifesaver!

Yeah JB, hitch balls are on top the list at home! Hope I don't have to switch back and forth much anymore with the convertible ball hitch I just installed, but not with this wrench! It will help when I service the variable speed pulley on the MF12G too, sometime this winter!

DAC

I have the steel ones. No aluminum here. They start around 12” to 24”. Some I bought. Some were my fathers and some my uncles, mother’s side. I call the big ones alignment tools for the cheap front axles on some lawn tractors.

Noel

Back