Wheel Horse rear discharge problems

Gtractor

Tractorologist
Since downsizing and moving to town with a fenced yard, I've started using my C85 WH to mow with and parked my Gravely with the 50 inch cut. The 36 inch WH deck fits through my walk gates and it fits in my compact pickup so I can haul it over to my old chiropractors place to mow. He's 87 and can barely walk - often falling with a moderate case of Parkinson's - so since he helped me so much, without charge, when the city destroyed my back, I offered to mow his yard for free now that he can't.
Well, the WH rear discharge deck has the most chitty cut you could imagine! Looking at the yard afterwards, you'd swear I installed the center blade upside down. It is not! With 3 blades, the outside 2 cut pretty good. The center blade just mangles the grass and globs up the cuttings, letting them out in big clumps after they have been pulverized into a mush that sticks to the bottom side of the deck. Been really wet lately but with only 5 minutes of mowing I have to stop and clear out the buildup. The blades really whirr when the buildup gets bad so I know when to clean out the mess. I don't want to convert to side discharge as then a 36 incher won't fit in my small pickup and the full size pickup sets too high. Also the side discharge won't fit through my walk gates - although I do have a drive through gate.
Took pictures of the under side. The side blades are 12" length each and the center blade is 14" long.
Look at the gap [3 fingers] at the front of the deck and only 1 thumb gap around the sides. A longer blade would offer faster blade tip speed at the same RPM but can't install a longer blade or it'll hit at the sides. I believe the real problem is air flow. Would welding a baffle in the front section help with air flow and therefore blow the cuttings out better while standing the grass up better to be cut evenly? More throw to the blades? Less throw to the blades?
With the front of the center section so open it MAY be dropping globs of wet, cut grass out the front therefore holding the uncut grass down so its not cut evenly. I can't sit in the seat mowing and watch for this.
I have adjusted the governor to where the Kohler really percolates and that helped quality of cut some - but it still sux.
I absolutely love then tractor, but its almost useless with this deck. I don't wanna hafta get a rear engine rider or zero-turn with a one blade, deck, but that looks like where I'm headed if I can't make this thing mow decent.
When they built this deck, it looks like they mounted the center spindle too far back so the baffling is not working for it.
All opinions welcomed.

Attachments

• rear d 2.jpg
    rear d 2.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 34
  • rear d 1.jpg
    rear d 1.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I'm running a 12hp Wheelhorse with a side discharge deck to mow ditches with. They are mowed weekly so the grass is not overly long. I have never been particularly happy with the way it leaves the grass looking. It does OK but it looks like the center blade is duller than the outer two and it's not. Oh well still looks somewhat better than if a goat grazed it down.
I'll be watching to see what you come up with. Good luck.

That 3 finger area sure looks like too much of a gap at that point. Maybe it can't stand the grass up right to get a good cut. I would think it should be the same as the sides, Kris. I'm sure no expert by any means but the baffle would be worth a try!

DAC

Don’t the baffles on a Case RD deck go past the center point of the spindles? I’m wondering if your getting all the clippings from the left blade dumped into the center.
How does the clippings dispersal look out the backside as you mow?

Its all just clumps of pulverized mush. Looks like the grass must have been 3 feet tall even though I mow every week. I think the right side blade actually throws the clippings out OK. Left and center just beat the clippings too much.

I have a 42" rear discharge WH deck, but it's still at Daniel's farm. Maybe if he feels up to it he can turn that deck over and see what the gaps are. I think the baffles should be within 1/2" all the way around the front half of the blades.
@olcowhand
I will do that later today. Grandbaby will be here soon and I'm on Grandpa duty for a little while till Teresa gets home from apple grading.

Thanks Dan!
I think even just the front half of the mulching kit would make the deck work like it should.

Thanks everyone else for chiming in with ideas as well.
I'm gonna try welding in some baffles because at this point I have nothing to lose.

Anyone know the deck width on a Crud Cadet Original or the Panzer decks that are virtually the same? The 2-bladers with a cog belt drive.
I have an Original and a T75 Panzer here but the decks are buried out in weeds at dads place. Just wondering if those decks are 36 inch. They don't have a discharge chute and the sides are flat so they might fit in my lil pickup if I can't make the WH work.

UPDATE:
I welded in some baffles on the front side of the center blade this spring before the grass grew.
A better improvement than I expected!! Still not thrilled but this is doable. The grass comes out the back kinda long like it was cut with a sickle mower - so it doesn't leave the yard looking great, but at least its not just big globs and clumps. The clippings are fairly evenly dispersed. I can tell right where the discharge is hitting the tractors left rear tire so I may need another baffle to discourage that. Can't space the wheel out or the tractor won't go through my walk gate.
Buildup under the deck is still a problem - which makes no sense, since the blades of grass are still in tact for the most part. I was mowing VERY WET grass and vine-type vegetation that would tax any mower.
At work the grass was too tall and about gave the 8 horse Kohler a hernia but that's what I wanted to test my new baffles. It was impressive that it even cut that mess. My yard [2 blocks away from work] hasn't grown enough yet to mow. I have lots of shade.
The doctor I am mowing for has closed out and sold his office but I'm still going to mow at his house. That puts me down to only 4 yards counting my 2, and I'm not obligated to mow at work with my mower after hours - just been doing it that way because looks so much better out by the road. It literally takes 10 minutes including the 2-block drive back and forth. Most of my employers yard I don't do - its rough and better suited for a brush cutter, which they have.
Didn't take any pictures but it was just a 2.5 inch wide piece of metal bent to match the arc of the end of the blade, about the width of one finger away from the blade end all the way around the front - center blade only.
Thanks again for the input!!!

Does the deck sit level front to back?
If the back is lower than the front you will have problems.
If it is level or the front a little Lower, 1/4 inch than the back it will work best.
Measure blade tip, cutting edge to the ground, a smooth surface, using a deep socket, 2+1/2 to 3 inches.

Would it be. You want suggestions. Don’t shoot me for sayin this. Would be that the front blade is cutting more than the other two. Because of, spinning faster, tips for throwing are taller, and the other two can’t throw it out because it’s to much from the front blade. I would think the two rear blades throw the most of the grass out. I’m just giving you my thoughts. Remember don’t shoot me. And what if the two rear blades were faster than the front one. Are you sure that they are the right size blades. And the right size pullyes to keep the blade speed correct.

I have old decks that the spacing things are gone and still seem to work good.

Again. Just giving thoughts. I am no expert.

I had a noma park 2000 tractor once. It articulated in the middle. The deck was out front. 3 blades and rear discharge. Always put most of the grass to the left rear wheel, looking from the back. Put always cut alright.

Noel

Back