Wheel Spacers

Something to think about. They put aluminum wheels on cars and trucks bolted up to steel rotors and drums with no problem.
Never thought about that but your right. More of a corrosion issue when dealing with electricity? Like the main entrance wire coming into a breaker box would probably need to be coated.

Then again, why is there corrosion under the lead wheel weights on aluminum rims?

My oldest son had alloy wheels on his GMC pickup. When they went to put new tires on his pickup they couldn’t get the wheels off. He tried heating them, pounding. And driving with the lug nuts loose and that didn’t work. Can’t remember how they got them off but I think they put anti-seize on them before reinstalling them.
I’ve never had that happen.

Never thought about that but your right. More of a corrosion issue when dealing with electricity? Like the main entrance wire coming into a breaker box would probably need to be coated.

Then again, why is there corrosion under the lead wheel weights on aluminum rims?
My sister's house has aluminum wiring. Every connection has to be coated with a "grease" (for lack of a better term) to stop corrosion and where wirenuts are needed they have to be purple ones with that grease in them. When I worked hi-voltage powerline construction back in the mid 1970's, we would have to use a product called "Alnox" in the compression fittings we would splice the cable together with. It is bare aluminum cable with several steel strands wound through the center for the aluminum to be able to handle the tension loads of weight and wind. 240KV cables were about 2" to 2-1/2" total outside diameter if I remember correctly.

Some of those wheel weights are stuck on using a double sided tape than can absorb water. Eventually it can break down enough to start corroding the aluminum. Then of course the type of weight that hammers on digs through the clearcoat protecting the wheel and the corrosion starts from there. Wheels lead a really hard life!

DAC

My oldest son had alloy wheels on his GMC pickup. When they went to put new tires on his pickup they couldn’t get the wheels off. He tried heating them, pounding. And driving with the lug nuts loose and that didn’t work. Can’t remember how they got them off but I think they put anti-seize on them before reinstalling them.
I’ve never had that happen.
DRY ICE works.

More brake manufactures are now e-coating the drums and discs to prevent the alloy wheels from sticking.

Back