Wire Wheel For My Bench Grinder

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
I used my last one up last week. It was kind of sad it was the last one my dad gave me. He was a retired machinist and kept me supplied most of my adult life with stuff like this. They were unbranded but lasted forever.

I shopped around for a couple of days, there’s so many out there. The Dewalt sounded good at $14. on Amazon especially ordering it Friday night and it came early this morning. As soon as I pulled it out of the mailbox I thought wow this is heavy. It’s made very well. I’ll probably start using it tomorrow cleaning parts to my White 1855. I’ll do a follow up once I use it.
4450AF29-E4C2-4264-A4D0-D195367DFD92.jpeg

It is odd some seem to last forever while others start shooting wire out right out of the gate. I have one too i bet is going on 35+ years. Curious how the Dewatt will hold up. I know I've used some that were almost dangerous to use.

It is odd some seem to last forever while others start shooting wire out right out of the gate. I have one too i bet is going on 35+ years. Curious how the Dewatt will hold up. I know I've used some that were almost dangerous to use.
Bill I grabbed one at HF for my right angle grinder back in the winter to finish up a little project. I knew it wouldn’t hold up for long but I needed something quick. After about five minutes I looked down at my shirt and I looked like a porcupine.

Bill I grabbed one at HF for my right angle grinder back in the winter to finish up a little project. I knew it wouldn’t hold up for long but I needed something quick. After about five minutes I looked down at my shirt and I looked like a porcupine.
I remember Cummins tool that use to come around sometimes and they had some real dannies...
Kind of like HF was back then only with wheels attached..

I use one regularly at work cleaning up parts to reuse, I hate that thing. I always end up with a couple wires stuck in my belly.
Reminds back years ago when I used one a lot to clean up valves when doing a couple backyard engine rebuilds, that was a dirty job.

Looks like a good choice, Jim! Good price too! Last fall I think it was I decided to get a 8" for the bench grinder I got out of the scrap trailer a year or two ago. Got one at Menards but it is probably Chinese. About the same price you paid for the DeWalt. So far, the wire wheel is doing fine. No shots to the belly with wire yet! I went to turn it on the other day to clean the valves from the K181 from the JD110 and the switch broke! Dug out the very old Skil 6" that was replaced by the 8" Delta. The wire wheel is still in great shape. The grinder and wheel are about the same age as Bill's. All I can read on the 6" wire wheel is "Made in U.S.A". Can't remember what brand it is. Need to fix that switch on the 8" now.

Bill had to mention Cummins Tools---LOL! Way before we had HF here those tool trucks used to set up sales here at least annually. That's where I got my first auto dark welding helmet that I recently replaced with a new Vulcan.

Anyway, a couple years ago I dug another 6" bench grinder out of the work scrap trailer. Guess what---it's a very old Cummins! I don't use it but it still runs fine! Just has nearly worn-out stones on it.

DSCN5408.JPG DSCN5409.JPG

DSCN5410.JPG

DAC

I have a wire wheel setup still at old shop that is exceptionally soft. It doesn't lose wires that I've noticed and the wires are so delicate that I can actually polish aluminum and brass without ANY marks left on the metal. I can even press my thumb on it and doesn't leave a mark at all. Bought it at an auction years ago and use it ONLY when needed as I hope it will last me till I'm below the dirt. I'll see if I can find maker and number to see if it's still available.

I have a wire wheel setup still at old shop that is exceptionally soft. It doesn't lose wires that I've noticed and the wires are so delicate that I can actually polish aluminum and brass without ANY marks left on the metal. I can even press my thumb on it and doesn't leave a mark at all. Bought it at an auction years ago and use it ONLY when needed as I hope it will last me till I'm below the dirt. I'll see if I can find maker and number to see if it's still available.
The 8" wheel I got at Menard's had "fine" on it, Daniel. Said it was for polishing. The wires are definitely longer and thinner than the wheel on the 6" grinder. It was the only 8" wire wheel they had. Still seems to work good.

DAC

Last edited:
Back