Wisconsin Robin won't start

cjet69

Tractorologist
This engine is on our wood splitter. I fired it up after sitting for 2 months and it ran 30-45 secs. then quit. I get the occasional pop out of it or a hard yank back on the pull rope, but it will not run now. I checked spark and it looks good. Dropped the bowl off the carb to check for water or crud and found nothing. I tried cleaning the plug and starting fluid with only a slight pop once and a hard kick back. Most of the time it pulls over with no sign of life. It almost seems like the timing is changing when it will pop once and after a few pulls it will kick back hard. I can feel those in my shoulder pretty good. Normally I would only suspect a flywheel key on an engine that can be stopped abruptly like a lawnmower. Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• 100_4821-m.jpg
    100_4821-m.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_4822-m.jpg
    100_4822-m.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_4823-m.jpg
    100_4823-m.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_4824-m.jpg
    100_4824-m.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_4825-m.jpg
    100_4825-m.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 9
The only way it could be off is if the flywheel key sheared. I would have to pull the flywheel /starter tin cover off, remove the flywheel nut and see what the key looks like.
Hi cjet I just found and downloaded a parts manual for the engine and it has a magneto k=kind of like a B&S with the mag coil mtd above the flywheel and the flywheel is keyed my guess is the the key sheared as your thinking I'll upload the manual you may have it but here it is

Attachments

• Wisconsin Robin Parts.pdf
    989.2 KB · Views: 3
Hi cjet I just found and downloaded a parts manual for the engine and it has a magneto k=kind of like a B&S with the mag coil mtd above the flywheel and the flywheel is keyed my guess is the the key sheared as your thinking I'll upload the manual you may have it but here it is
Thanks GB. I didn't have a manual for this engine.

I bought a new wheeled line trimmer from Menard's on close out. B&S engine. Would not start. Took it to my regular dealer and found the key partially sheared. Was that way from the factory. Warranty covered it. My guess is the flywheel nut wasn't torqued down and they didn't catch it when the removed it.

Pulled the rope starter and shroud off to get at the nut. Popped that off with an impact and after getting out my cheaters it appears that nothing has moved. I can see some rust on the crank where the keyway slot is and it is not disturbed so the flywheel had not moved. I put it back together, and on the 3rd pull it started and ran like it always has. I don't know what to say. I spent 2 hours trying to get this going yesterday after it died. If it was flooded, I would think cleaning the plug, clearing the cylinder, and a shot of starting fluid would have taken care of that. Anyway, its running now. Now I need to wash this egg of my face. ;)

Attachments

• 100_4826-m.jpg
    100_4826-m.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_4829-m.jpg
    100_4829-m.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 4
Pulled the rope starter and shroud off to get at the nut. Popped that off with an impact and after getting out my cheaters it appears that nothing has moved. I can see some rust on the crank where the keyway slot is and it is not disturbed so the flywheel had not moved. I put it back together, and on the 3rd pull it started and ran like it always has. I don't know what to say. I spent 2 hours trying to get this going yesterday after it died. If it was flooded, I would think cleaning the plug, clearing the cylinder, and a shot of starting fluid would have taken care of that. Anyway, its running now. Now I need to wash this egg of my face. ;)

Hehe. Oh well. That’s happened to me on different things. Good that it’s going.

Noel

I have an old cast iron Briggs 10 hp on my spliter. Was using it and it flat died. Had gas, had oil, ? Pulled rope and it fired & ran for about 3 seconds and died. Found the ground wire from the coil had broke off right at the connector. Would make contact enough to start but the vibration would move it away from the connector. Simple fix but a pain to find.

Back