Won a John Deere Mower Deck at Auction

cjet69

Tractorologist
The local auction had this JD 42C mower deck listed so after looking at it I put a bid in on it along with a couple other JD decks. The 2 other decks went for more than I wanted to spend for the shape they were in. As the closing time neared, I kept watching and waiting for the last-minute bids to top my high bid. In the end no one else bid on this deck so I got it for a bid of $5.00. With buyer's premium and tax, it comes to $5.97 total. The fuel to go pick it up will probably be more than that. Tomorrow is the second day of the auction, and I am bidding on a couple more items so we will see what happens.

Attachments

• 42C-1.jpg
    42C-1.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 10
  • 42C-2.jpg
    42C-2.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 42C-3.jpg
    42C-3.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 10
Kind of fun isn't it ?
On line auctions can get a little crazy at times though. Real easy to just sit there and tap a button..
The price of stuff sure jumped when they started the online auction. You can still get deals every now and then but few and far between. It could be easy to over bid with this online stuff.

And then they throw the soft closing into the mix makes it real interesting. I have a strong dislike for that buyer premium BS and won't partake in their rip off. They charge the seller and the buyer when they are working for the selle
That soft close can sure extend out the time even though they just add 2 minutes with the last-minute bids. I just figure the tax and buyers premium into the price I am willing to pay.

No tax here. 95% of the auctions don't have the buyers premium for live auctions. Few tried it several years ago but attendance went way down so they quit it real fast. Some will add 4% if using a credit card. Couple othesr have a % added for on line auctions to cover the listing fee, web site use, etc, which I can understand.

I thought I read somewhere the 42C deck can be made to fit onto a JD 110. I was researching to get a deck on my 110. But I’ve since given up on that project and parted it out. Well I guess I should say I sold all the desirable parts. Grill, headlight bezel, belt covers, engine, and steering tower. The test went to scrap.

Won a second item today for the same $5.00 bid. This is a bagger for a John Deere L110. I also bid on a craftsman bagger but it went to $110 so I let it go. I got the official invoice for the mower deck and it came to $5.93 which is $.04 cheaper than I posted above so this bagger will be the same.

Attachments

• jd bagger-1.jpg
    jd bagger-1.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 3
  • jd bagger-2.jpg
    jd bagger-2.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 3
I actually prefer the online auctions so I don't spend all stinking day waiting for an item to come up for bid. It was usually heavy rain and just above freezing and one of the last items to come up for bid when I attended the old auctions. The only upside was we weren't bidding against the whole country or North America.

Buying blind on one line auctions is not what I want to do much of. Live auctions are usually an all day thing but always enough people around to visit with to eat up the time. Have one this Saturday about an hour away. Farm primitives and collectables that has several cast iron cook ware items listed. Carolyn saw some thing she kind of wants too.

Headed over to pick up these two items this afternoon. At these prices I keep thinking I must have really missed something when I looked at them before the sale. I'll get a better look when I get them home.

Headed over to pick up these two items this afternoon. At these prices I keep thinking I must have really missed something when I looked at them before the sale. I'll get a better look when I get them home.

Yeah I got had a time or two cause I didn't check something out good enough... Not that the price bothered me as much but now you got to get rid of it...and garbage companies around here are getting picky what you throw away..

Got the bagger and deck home and checked them over good. I didn't miss anything as they look just as I thought. The bagger is good with only some small tears in the bags that I think I can fix. The deck is really solid and only missing the lower edge at the grass chute opening. I can easily fix that. I'll probably replace all of the bearings, but I might mount it up and run it to hear what it sounds like. I think it should make a nice deck once its painted. I really feel like I stole these 2 items, but I guess I will just have to live with it.

Attachments

• 100_5002-m.jpg
    100_5002-m.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 100_5003-m.jpg
    100_5003-m.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 100_5004-m.jpg
    100_5004-m.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_5005-m.jpg
    100_5005-m.jpg