Workin' the Hay

cjet69

Tractorologist
I hopped on our Farmall H and tedded some hay that got a little rain on it. Looks like we are going to save it. While I was tedding, dad mowed the next field 100_9625 (Medium).JPG100_9626 (Medium).JPG100_9631 (Medium).JPGwith the Case IH 485 pulling a New Holland 477 haybine.

I was on my own today and with another possible light shower coming in we made the decision not to rake or bale today. I was just outside and a few drops were starting to fall. Hope it only a very light, quick shower. All of the forecast's now show nothing but sun for the next week or more. Hope this time they are right.

Things are moving right along now with good weather. The barn is over half way filled at this point. We mowed the neighbors fields across the road yesterday and have 2 more to mow a couple miles away. If needed we have an optional field if the barn isn't full. Hope to finish up in the this week. I'll try to get a few more pics/vids.

As a young boy growing up on a farm, I still remember the taste of the hard-earned cold beer with the men as the last bale was stacked in the barn.

The heat, the dust, the sweet smell of the hay, the hard work...I yet to have a beer in the last 40 years to even come close.

That will put hair on your chest. My cousin and I were the barn stackers when we we younger, hot dusty July day, barn loft was 110-120*. Price we paid for our parents to let us have horses.
I have to go this week and purchase about 50 bales and then put up in the barn, I am sure dreading it as I have to climb a ladder about 3 steps witha bale in hand for the last few bales, my knee will be screaming when I'm done.

I worked in a few hay lofts when I was in high school and that was nasty work. Our system now is pretty easy compared to that. We only stack 5 high on edge because of the low roof line in the converted chicken barn. I am always walking on a wood floor so I am not falling through holes between bales. Here is a vid showing the loading and unloading of the bales with our New Holland Stackliner taken in 2011.

I like this new setup guys ! Here is what I have been up too as well!
Good too see familiar faces over on this new sight. Thanks to Alan and Brian for the invite, I almost forgot about the warm feeling amongst friends.
Welcome Keith!
That is quite a few bales there!

Thanks, about 3000 bales. I was hoping for more but the fields just aren't giving it up, or should I say the baler is making the bales tighter and heavier... thats a good topic for a thread... THE BALER FROM HELL...

Hey cjet I like your haying operation really liked the video I've seen those New Holland stackers but never in action not many here in MN mostly big rounds or the big square bales here now

Back