Working on fuel pump & carb

MNGB

Tractorologist
The last couple of days I've spent working on a Kohler mechanical fuel pump & a Kohler #26 carb, the fuel pump was on the K301 I just go running and it wasing pumping fuel took it apart and it was very rusty inside the poppet valves looked crusty, this was an early plastic pump the ones that were threaded for the in/out fitting, and guys would over tighten the fitting and crack the top housing well this was in good shape and I had a nother plastic one that had cracked fitting treads so I figure I'd use the top off the rusted pump along with the poppet vales and make one out of the 2 in valve came out of the housing and put it in the other housing and try as I did I could not get the out poppet valve out of the housing bore so I looked the cruddy ones over had them soaking in gas found one that was too bad used a SS brush on it and got it looking ok put it in place put the top back on and tried the pump by hand nothing so I tried bpowing some air thru the pump nothing removed the fitting tried blowing thru them nothing got a pick out and dug around inside the fitting tried air again and rust flew out and it was good did the other one reinstalled the fittings connect the pump to a gas hose turned the gas on and tried the pump y hand gas shot out good, so installed it on the engine and started it and let it run no problems pump done & good
So I got the spare carb I have for 12hp Kohler's had tried this on the engine but gas came out of the carb in opening so I opened it up the carb was really clean inside but the baffle was missing, the float level looked pretty good, so I removed it to check the needle and seat needle looked ok but looked short compared it to a new needle and it was shorter, seat looked ok but a ran a Q tip in it to clean it reinstalled the needle and float adjusted the level and ibstalled a use baffle ( the new ones have not come yet)finished putting the carb back together and its good (but I haven't run it on an engine yet)

I have a couple of the older metal cases ones that I keep meaning to send out for rebuild kits for
Info on the place that had them comes up once in a while on here, I'm gonna have to dig for it.
I've tried a couple of the newer "copy" ones and had zero luck with them, first one flat out didn't work and 2nd one filled my crankcase with gas pretty readily...won't be wasting any more money on Chinese clone fuel pumps

I have a couple of the older metal cases ones that I keep meaning to send out for rebuild kits for
Info on the place that had them comes up once in a while on here, I'm gonna have to dig for it.
I've tried a couple of the newer "copy" ones and had zero luck with them, first one flat out didn't work and 2nd one filled my crankcase with gas pretty readily...won't be wasting any more money on Chinese clone fuel pumps
I've installed 2-3 of the aftermarket ones and have had very good results with them, but I read post where the same gas leaking into the crankcase problem came about

Hi Gary. I have only used one of the plastic pumps and it did the gas in the oil thing like was spoken of. I was real worried that the metal fuel pump would not be rebuildable, and could not find the poppet valves anywhere. Aaron came to the rescue with a website that has the old school pump rebuild parts. Should be able to read the website on the package.

Glad you had enough parts laying around to get the pump working !

DSCN3916.JPG DSCN3917.JPG

DAC

Back