Working on parting out the Ariens GT's

I have 4 cub cadets with the hand control Hydro. I like the hand control better than the foot control. Rest my arm/wrist on my knee and move the hydro with thumb and fingers. The latest purchase is an 1862 with power steering. Rides on the deck wheels all the time where most of the others the deck carries on the under carriage. All in what one gets used to. The 1512 and 1650 are both for sale. Listed on Omaha CL under lawn & farm.

All in what one gets used to.
This is the key to the whole thing. When searching for a tractor I tried different hydro's. The JD with the two foot pedals worked the best for me. As a side note we were covering strawberries Thursday and I wanted my wife to drive the tractor while I pulled straw out of the loader bucket and covered plants. She wasn't going to have any part of that. I did finally convince her that it was easier to drive than her car and she tried it. Didn't take her a couple of minutes to get the hang of it and she was off and running even seeming to enjoy it. Made it a lot easier for me too.
In the end it would seem buying something that works satisfactorily for you is more important than saving a few bucks.

Last edited:
Making progress on the second Ariens will probably get the engine out next Monday or so then the driveshaft and will start on the hydraulic cylinder etc. Got the rear PTO yesterday that was a job and the service manual wasn't much help but its out it looks almost new and its complete except for the switch, I think I'll sell it if anyone is interested here's some pictures

HPIM1707.JPGHPIM1710.JPGHPIM1715.JPGHPIM1720.JPGHPIM1721.JPGHPIM1722.JPGHPIM1726.JPGHPIM1734.JPGHPIM1735.JPG

Yah know Gary I really admire your ability to take photos during your projects. I never think of it until I'm done and then I want to kick myself for not getting pictures. Makes reading these threads much more interesting. Thanks for what you do!

tempting since I have 2 of those machines with rear PTO.... if I needed one "now" I couldnt find one.
one of those with F&R PTO needs a front one, coil cuts out. (I might have a spare for the fronts, hafta look) But I definitely don't have anything spare for the rear PTO.
On fitting the Deere, unless these Ariens were from the 1st 2-3 years they were made ('72-74ish) they would have the same sunstrand hydro that many JD GTs had. so it's a possibility. and I forget which JD (400 maybe?) had the same model rear end as well as the Ariens.

tempting since I have 2 of those machines with rear PTO.... if I needed one "now" I couldnt find one.
one of those with F&R PTO needs a front one, coil cuts out. (I might have a spare for the fronts, hafta look) But I definitely don't have anything spare for the rear PTO.
On fitting the Deere, unless these Ariens were from the 1st 2-3 years they were made ('72-74ish) they would have the same sunstrand hydro that many JD GTs had. so it's a possibility. and I forget which JD (400 maybe?) had the same model rear end as well as the Ariens.
If your talking about the rear with the cast in lower three point arm mounts, then it would be the 400, that's the only model that has them.

Well I got all the parts and pieces of the rear PTO including the wires for ground and power together and put them in a plastic bag, got the front PTO spline shaft5 and bearing cleaned up and bagged also the got busy on removing the engine starter so I could access the mount bolts got the 4 bolts out cleared a path to the tractor and used the PK loader to lift the Kohler out of the frame and its sitting on the floor. Checked out the starter and its working good on the bench

HPIM1733.JPGHPIM1742.JPGHPIM1744.JPGHPIM1737.JPGHPIM1738.JPGHPIM1739.JPG

Attachments

• HPIM1733.JPG
    HPIM1733.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 5
  • HPIM1742.JPG
    HPIM1742.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 5
Well I've stripped all the parts from the 2nd Ariens that I want for now and the frame got moved outside out of the way, now its to clean up the parts I want and put them in the parts room and then its on to the other projects

Back