12v Joystick wiring and installation

Cat385B

Knighted as Sir Cat, Vanquisher of Spam
Staff member
I picked a 2 way joystick to control a linear actuator.
I need to figure out the wiring. No instructions.
It is getting mounted on this:
5FE67BAF-6AF0-42BE-B542-9FA91F3FD478.jpeg
I need to figure out how to get the boot off to slip thru the hole and get it tightened down. My thumb is on a clamp band, there is a tab above it. The lock nut is just below the brown part.

6693293C-9DDF-41CB-8F7F-4D9943A11718.jpeg
To use it as a DPDT switch, I think I have two options.
BD7A3562-CE65-471F-B361-9D24AF478826.jpegFE556C09-C4CE-4848-8738-415980B08C00.jpeg
The two gold screws are the main contacts for + and -. I think I can wire from the power to gold terminals. Then wire the red to the actuator from terminals that are opposite. Top left and bottom right silver screws two pics up. Black would be from top right and bottom left silver contacts. I should add that it is not possible to get the joystick to make contacts across both sides at the same time, no worries there. Or I could wire the power to the opposite silver terminals, and run the leads to the actuator off from the gold terminals. I think.
I just wanted something bigger because I’m usually wearing thick gloves. And it’s way cooler. Also, I don’t want to drill a hole in my dash tower, I want this easily removed.

I ordered and used a solenoid utilizing a rocker switch for the plow winch on my wheeler. The switch is mounted on the left handle bar next to the handgrip and I can run the switch with my thumb even with mittens on. I think using an ohmmeter would help you figure out how to wire it.

I mounted a cheap HF light duty winch on the back to lift the sleeve hitch. Put a switch on to activate a horn when it was close to max height. About $50 did the whole thing.

Edit. Looking at your switch the 2 gold screws do nothing ( I believe) you'll be using the 6 silver terminals.

The joystick has two gold terminals and four silver.
The first wiring scenario I listed is how the diagram you posted is done.

The joystick has two gold terminals and four silver.
The first wiring scenario I listed is how the diagram you posted is done.
Are you talking about the 2 gold screws on the black plastic part.??

I did the same on my walk behind with a locking throttle cable. Encased the housing in fuel hose and filled it with oil to prevent rust on the cable and housing.

After hooking the joystick up to the trickle charger set at 2 amps and playing with the voltmeter, it seems the gold terminals do nothing. No power to any other terminal with the joystick in neutral or toggled either direction.

image.jpg
It seems that I should hook positive to both silver terminals on the left side. Ground to the gold. Here is the contact bar, open, then closed.
image.jpgimage.jpg
I get power across from silver on left to silver on right if positive is hooked up to left silver and ground on gold.
So, I will try hooking positive to both silver terminals on the left in the first pic of this post. Then hook red wire to the actuator to the top right silver and the black to the bottom right silver.

I do like that switch you have. Have a link to it ?. Looks as though it should be there.
I did the same thing to power a electric/ hyro pump on my snowplow. Its a 30amp , momentary DPDT. I added an extension handle to it so you have something to grab with gloves on. The boot around the terminal connections is just black rubber tape similar to electrical tape but bigger and more pliable.

IMG_20210110_055820.jpg

IMG_20210110_055829.jpg

IMG_20210110_055854.jpg

I may be looking at that switch wrong but I believe you need a 3 position not a 2.
Maybe I'm missing something..?
If you need to reverse your motor to run in the opposite direction a 3 position is necessary... ON-OFF-ON. Spring loaded momentary. Which will have 6 poles.

Last edited:
Well, it isn’t going to work how I want it to without adding relays. So I ordered a DPDT momentary polarity reversing toggle switch.
I really need to get it thru my skull to quit trying to reinvent the wheel.
Next up after I finish this up:
I’m going to swap out my light duty axle on my boat-turned-into-utility trailer. 2,000 up to a 3,500. I am also going to change it from a 5x9 into a 6x12.
C2876A60-8654-4224-A84E-05CD07560A32.jpeg035A9CC7-ADAA-4C3C-9170-871B4E9BDB43.jpeg

Back