12v Joystick wiring and installation

I ordered and used a solenoid utilizing a rocker switch for the plow winch on my wheeler. The switch is mounted on the left handle bar next to the handgrip and I can run the switch with my thumb even with mittens on. I think using an ohmmeter would help you figure out how to wire it.
The one I use IIRC cost about $40. Solenoid mounts wherever you desire.

That’s what I found also, using relays costs about double. Switch is $15, and I’m out the $10 I spent on this joystick.

I used the DPDT switches for a lot of years and finally got tired of replacing them. Spent the extra $ and have been happy ever since. I'm not trying to put the hard sell on ya, just relating my experience.

I used the DPDT switches for a lot of years and finally got tired of replacing them. Spent the extra $ and have been happy ever since. I'm not trying to put the hard sell on ya, just relating my experience.
Yea you're right. You can buy a lot of cheaper switches that are not rated for the voltage or amperage for the motor that's being used. The one listed above (438PR-MM3) is pretty heavy duty @ 12v , 30amp. More than enough to operate most actuators that we use. Relays aren't needed if switches are internally heavy enough and wire sized accordingly. Just remember a 12v ,30amp rated switch is made a lot different than most 120v rated switches.

Lot of people have the misconception that a switch rated for 120V at 10 amp will easily handle 12 V at 30 amp. Just don't work that way.

Back