1972 F350 bumpside

He kept trying to get on the page, I think it is called simply "Old Ford Trucks", but was never able to. He also has a '56 Ford pickup, and I got my '55 GMC from him.

Here's the pictures. I'm not a Ford guy but the VIN doesn't look odd to me, but obviously the truck color is! I sure appreciate all you are doing to help, Rusty!

DAC
Factory ordered colour? Theft deterrent

Has he tried the Fordification groups or websites ? There is one for the 61-66 "Slicks",one for the 67-72 "Bump sides" and one for the 73-79 "Dent sides".
Both websites and FB groups.
There is also another big 67-72 group called "Bump sides".
I will take a look at the decoder at the 67-72 Fordification website.
I'll tell him about "Fordification" web sites. Is "Bumpsides" a web site or FB page?

Thanks for the info.

DAC

I'll tell him about "Fordification" web sites. Is "Bumpsides" a web site or FB page?

Thanks for the info.

DAC
"Bumpsides" is a big FB group.
But you will find guys from The Fordification sites hanging out there too.
Fordification has both 3 great websites and 2 great FB groups.

Thanks again, Rusty. I'll let him know.

What have you been doing on yours? Decide on what you will do with the bed?

DAC

Thanks again, Rusty. I'll let him know.

What have you been doing on yours? Decide on what you will do with the bed?

DAC
I have been so busy I have barely looked at it for a few days.
I did take it for a short drive a few days ago.Then ran the bed up just because.
I am still debating on taking the dump off of it.
It definately needs paint and body work. I need to hit it with cleaner wax again.
But overall its very solid for a Indiana truck and has less rust than most 15 year old trucks around here.

Attachments

• 20191102_162918.jpg
    20191102_162918.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 4
A few pictures from the web. A Bumpside F350 can make a pretty cool vintage rig to putt around in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190821-114132_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-114132_Facebook.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20190821-222221_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-222221_Google.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20190821-222003_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-222003_Google.jpg
    445.9 KB · Views: 8
I hate to be the sour one here but my father owned one of those trucks that he had more patience with then I would have. Don't remember the year but it was that body style and a 3/4 ton camper special. Had a 360 engine in it what was a dog with a capital D. He was continually trying to keep it from pinging and knocking when pulling a hill. Tried water injection, dual exhaust, different timing, you name it. It was just a Dog. And to top that off it jumped out of park one time and backed over his leg and broke it. Probably would have killed him but he was able to roll mostly out of the way.
His next truck had a fuel injected 460 and that thing would pull a house. Ford got it right with that one.

You will find lemons in in any brand,year or model.
Just go up to the GT subforum and post a thread asking "What is your least favorite brand,and why ?"
You will hear all sorts of "The troubles I had with this brand and model and I will never have one again" stories.
It's just the way life works.

That pink was a factory color? That is pretty cool. I bet that truck would be worth something to a collector if its a special order truck..

I have been so busy I have barely looked at it for a few days.
I did take it for a short drive a few days ago.Then ran the bed up just because.
I am still debating on taking the dump off of it.
It definately needs paint and body work. I need to hit it with cleaner wax again.
But overall its very solid for a Indiana truck and has less rust than most 15 year old trucks around here.
I could put that truck to work just like it is! My gravel driveway would be the envy of the neighborhood if I could haul my own gravel---LOL! Gravel prices took a big jump this year since it's so wet and so many roads aren't paved. Very high demand. Trucking it is still the most expensive part though. It does look very solid and would be a great driver no matter what you decide to do.

I hate to be the sour one here but my father owned one of those trucks that he had more patience with then I would have. Don't remember the year but it was that body style and a 3/4 ton camper special. Had a 360 engine in it what was a dog with a capital D. He was continually trying to keep it from pinging and knocking when pulling a hill. Tried water injection, dual exhaust, different timing, you name it. It was just a Dog. And to top that off it jumped out of park one time and backed over his leg and broke it. Probably would have killed him but he was able to roll mostly out of the way.
His next truck had a fuel injected 460 and that thing would pull a house. Ford got it right with that one.
Glad your Dad was able to minimize his injuries, Chris! I remember a lot of Fords in that era wouldn't start in park unless you reached over the steering column with your left hand and pulled the lever up when you hit the key with your right hand! They all did have quirks and lemons, but sure got a lot of mileage out of making fun of those Fords that needed "the reach" back when I was a kid!

That pink was a factory color? That is pretty cool. I bet that truck would be worth something to a collector if its a special order truck..
We do know that the truck was painted at the factory that color. Weather or not it was a normal factory color from which anyone could choose, the owner doesn't know yet. I think it was a special order for Mary Kay cosmetics, but there is also no record of that yet either. Just my memory from seeing this truck when I was in high school and the truck was only a year or two old. Hopefully with the sites Rusty gave, he may find some better info.

Jerry also said thanks for the help, Rusty!

DAC

Its ridiculous how much it cost to truck gravel!!

My buddy needed to gravel his pretty long driveway. He already owned a 3/4 ton truck. He figured out with the amount of gravel he needed he could pay for a dump trailer and break even with the cost to gravel his driveway if he had it trucked. He still had the trailer and has redone his driveway a couple times now with it. Pretty good investment.

Bad thing is with a truck like this 2 tons is plenty heavy. You just can't haul enough heavy dense product like rock/stone/gravel to make using a ton truck feasible unless you are just doing a little patching.

I ordered a new 1972 F250 4x4 that was delivered in December 1971 just in time for winter driving. It came in not the burgandy color I had ordered but RED, wasn't going to take it but they knocked some good money off. It was rust proofed by the dealer before i took delivery too.

It was a 360 powdered dog with a 4 speed tranny of which 1st was the granny gear. I loaded the 11' Wolverine slike in camper on it to take our yearly fishing trip to Canada. got there sparking all the way. I got in the habit of timeing it with a vacum gauge and useing add octane to stop the constiant spark knocking.
in 18 months the valves in the engine were bad and will admit Ford footed the bill on that.

By 24 months the bed had holes in it so big you could throw a full grown herford bull thru, Ford would fix that how ever so I should have stopped at that.
Came out later Ford had been useing cheap chinese steel.

At 27 months I traded it for Another Ford a 1974 250 4x4 360 4 speed trans. Right color this time Beautiful black with lots of XLT chrome. Good Year rust proofed this one and did a really good job. Engine didn't spark knock like the 72 did but the USA was on the verge of lead gas, so ford had advance notice to make changes.
Problem was it was useing a quart of oil ever 165 miles.

The truck today has a rebuilt 390 engine out of a 1968 Mercury station wagon my dad found. but I decided to do a self build and it pulled really well with the camper loaded on and a pair of 14'and 12' fishing boats in tow.
Got 19 MPG loaded too running a 780 CFM double pumper Holley.

But my family all Ford people never bought another Ford car or truck. My dad went GMC truck and a Jimmy SUV, Brother and two sisters went Jeep (AMC then) my other sister got a fish bowl AMC Pacer and I liked that car my self. I also went Jeeps till I wanted a newer PU than my 74 Ford. then I went Dodge in 91 with a cummins. Best truck I have ever owned.
Should have never traded it for the 98 Dodge with a cummins the first truck I didn't order the way I wanted it.
4:10's with a 3/4 ton cummins powered 5 speed just it to low for what i do.

:D Al

After Dad's 1971 F250 w/390...... he got a 1979 F250 with a 460 and automatic. Very good truck after he rerouted the fuel line in the engine compartment. Originally, it was routed too close to a heat source and caused it to vapor lock when we'd stop for a break while pulling a travel trailer cross-country. VERY aggravating problem until that got fixed. I remember one time in particular when Dad was so mad that he just about told the local Ford dealer to haul it in and sell him a new truck. Glad he didn't, because after that was fixed, that was an AWESOME truck that I WISH I still had today. He sold the truck in 2001 and it only had 70,000 miles on it, looked like new. But I didn't need a truck at the time, dang it!!!D8680893-9461-4D68-8A4B-6119E355F673.jpegC426A92F-9912-46FD-9178-14272D38B1E0.jpeg

Love the old pictures Paul! Good lookin' Fords! I dig the old family history with pics like this. Nice campers too! Top one looks like it may be an Airstream? Avions were every bit as good as the Airstreams. I've got a couple of long-time family trucks but they are GMC's.

DAC

Love the old pictures Paul! Good lookin' Fords! I dig the old family history with pics like this. Nice campers too! Top one looks like it may be an Airstream? Avions were every bit as good as the Airstreams. I've got a couple of long-time family trucks but they are GMC's.

DAC

Thank you! Yes, the top one is a mid-70's Airstream, the Avion in a 1981(?) 34V. My dad's experience with travel trailers (and trucks, for that matter) is what led me to get our 1995 Ford F250 extended cab truck with a 7.3L PowerStroke diesel, and our 1987 Avion 34W. Avions are built like a tank compared to an Airstream, but Fleetwood quit making the silver ones in 1989/1990. I followed my dad's advice of, "If you are going to tow anything more than a utility trailer, use a 3/4-ton."

My "favorite" uncle had a blue 3/4-ton GMC that I really liked. I still like the GMC's, and like the newest styles..... they look like tough-working trucks again! I'd have one in a heartbeat!
IMG_1440.v01.jpg

Last edited:
That's a fine looking setup too, Paul! I worked part-time at a friends camper sales and service business back in the '80s and 90's. He was a Fleetwood dealer at that time. The Avions very rarely came in for service! I almost bought a salvaged Avion from him. It had been laid on its side and skidded a ways. Very little damage inside, and a skin job, windows and door on the right side would have had it good as new. A person came in and wanted to buy all the interior fixtures and he couldn't turn that down. We gutted the inside and he made a pretty nice profit from it all. Then he donated the shell to our local speedway so they could use it for a back stretch concession stand!

Our families GMC connection goes back to 1960, and I guess I followed that trend!

DAC

My uncle's GMC was a 1970 or 1971.... tough old truck!!

I would highly recommend an Avion if someone is even remotely considering an Airstream. Save your money and get a much better trailer in an Avion. The money you save will pay for LOTS of travel/camping!

You like old pics??? Here's one the shows Dad's 1971 F250 before it was painted all black.... we were in the LA area in 1971. Me sitting a the table....
A few weeks earlier, we were on our way back to Oklahoma from NY and I woke up in the middle of the night puking my socks up.... appendix inflamed. Rode home the rest of the way in that camper shell, hugging a bucket. This pic was taken a few days after I got out of the hospital. We had arrived in LA..... dad took my stitches out as I was looking out of the rear window of the Nomad...... looking at the pool I was about to jump in!!!

58F9EE96-06F3-4A1F-B092-694A60362C2A.jpeg

Last edited:
Back