1974 Wheel Horse C-160

Razorback

Tractorologist
Getting the chance to look at a 1974 Wheel Horse C-160 this week as a help to a lady that we met a few years ago. We met her when we were visiting a friend in a local hospice facility. Her husband passed a few months ago so she is preparing to downsize and move (locally). When she started thinking about his 1974 Wheel Horse C-160, she remembered us and the fact that I like garden tractors.

She would like me to see if I can get it running. All she knows is that her husband was tinkering with it, but has no idea what might be wrong with it.

There is a Wheel Horse tiller, front blade, lawn aerator, as well as a MacKissic hammermill shredder and a Cyclone Rake.

If I can get it running, I might consider purchasing it from her, but I would need to sell a couple I already have...... maybe our 1995 Craftsman GT6000 and the 1966 Cub Cadet 123 w/mower deck and 1A tiller. I would really hate to part with the Cub, but the Wheel Horse has more "stuff" with it.

IMG_3507.JPG

Last edited:
That machine is really in good condition. You won't be sorry you got it.

Thank you for that input. I have always liked the Wheel Horse brand..... now maybe I can get one that has attachments I can really put to use.

I have not done any research as to what kind of hitch these utilized for things like a turning plow. Three-point? Sleeve?

I think this tractor would be a nice match to my pretty, red Speedex 1631!

You are looking at a very nice set-up with that nice looking C-160 and all the attachments!
Keep us posted...shouldn't take much to get that Kohler going!

Went and looked at it tonight. Long story short.... no spark. Gas ok. I had the tractor in neutral, brake set, and clutch in. Spins nice and strong (used my jump box with + on the coil lug). Throttle and choke move freely. But I left my stinkin’ meter at home, so I could not check much. Points look good, plug wire looks good, plug looks good, coil looks original......

I think I have a coil I can take with me next time, along with my meter.

Any suggestions I’m missing?

(I think I am hooked.... this is a great Wheel Horse!)

189602AB-E722-4FE9-99DC-62794EDC4BF7.jpeg8402E5CE-E238-4BD1-B2F6-8A254B958E53.jpegF88B96CF-7416-4962-A1EE-12B6671A5100.jpeg87D5BCC6-184B-44F3-A86B-E6FB8F1BC2D3.jpeg37A8D75A-3389-426E-B288-A8E526F315F3.jpegB1B60264-8311-4969-8F09-E07FA45F1C13.jpegBB482FD0-84C7-4888-8A45-CCE930F440CA.jpeg5F55E5EA-24B3-4731-B8AC-81FB1F94E744.jpeg

The tiller has a mule that mounts to the frame and directs the drive belt down from the clutch and rearward to the tiller. Be sure it is included

The tiller has a mule that mounts to the frame and directs the drive belt down from the clutch and rearward to the tiller. Be sure it is included
Is that the same mule that is doing that for the mower deck?

No, it is a different set-up for the tiller.
Spark or no spark....you better grab that C-160!! Spark is easy enough to fix on a K series!
The only place this C160 is going is home with ME!!
I went back and looked at the picture I took of the tiller..... can’t tell if the bracket that is on the far side of the picture might be what we’re looking for?
F882584A-1BF9-4B35-8157-6129CD037AC4.jpeg

Thant’s very nice package!
You won’t miss the Cub.
The “C” series Wheel horse only used a sleeve hitch.
To get a three point class 0 hitch you had buy a “D” series.

Well, I brought a coil with me tonight and installed it. Didn’t seem to make a difference. Cleaned the points, made sure the safety switch at the clutch pedal worked like it should. Started it, and it ran! I let it run for 10 minutes or so. Shut it off to button things up, tried to start it and it would crank but not run. Kept checking things and never could get it to run. At the end of the time I could spend, it would not turn the starter. I am thinking that the key switch or the starter relay is not working like it should. I really think it was a fluke when it did run for me. (Lights come on with the key in the on position, go out in the start position. ) Reviewing a wiring diagram after I came home reminded me that I need to check the safety switch on the PTO lever.

Does anyone know know where I might find a key switch and a starter relay? I have found similar suitable parts at TSC for my old Cub Cadet 123...... maybe the same?

I am going to "borrow" the starter relay off of my Cub, might see if the key switch will swap, too. Also will bring a known good battery off of the Cub. Maybe tomorrow night I can get this figured out. Hearing it run so nicely was a good shot in the arm!

While I was in her garage I looked closer at the tiller and saw the sleeve hitch and another attachment.... not sure what it was and forgot to snap pictures. I'll do that next time. Saw some tire chains draped on the shredder (you can see them in the picture of the front blade), have not found the mule drive for the tiller, yet.

Good news! The real culprit was at the PTO lever safety switch. First, I used a bungee cord to keep the clutch pedal down (knew from last night that the clutch pedal switch was good and working properly with the pedal).
I used my meter to check continuity from the red wire at the starter switch to the other end of that circuit at the starter relay. No continuity. The tab on the lever that is supposed to depress the switch..... wasn’t (reliably), but if I depressed that switch myself, got a good circuit every time. Noticed there was a bit of slop left to right on the shaft that goes through to the other side of the frame. Removed the c-clip on that side, removed the washer that was under it, noticed it was kind of thin. Found a stash of washers here in the garage and selected one that was about twice as thick as the one I removed. C-clip would still go on nicely. Metered the circuit as I moved the PTO lever and it all worked properly!
I still don’t have a good battery for this tractor, so I stuck my jump box on it, turned the key....... music to my ears!!!!!!!

I like progress!!!

Last edited:
Back