2 bottom plow build

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
I know, I spend too much time thinking of things to build. But this is one I have wanted to do for some time. A while back, I converted a Brinly 10" plow from a sleeve hitch to 3-point. It's in the middle of this pic.
DSCN4148.JPG

I have a 10" Brinly sleeve hitch just setting there. And there is room on the plow beam of the 3-point for it to fit. Alice pulls a 12" with ease, so why not try 2-10" plow behind her. I will not cut anything on the sleeve hitch plow so it can be converted back easily. Mainly take the sleeve hitch off the front and use those bolts to attach. I spent most of yesterday reclaiming some metal for starting this. This morning I cut some pieces and drilled a few holes. The 2 short pieces in the next pic will be welded together to make the beam mount. The longer piece will get welded to that for the plow to bolt to. I know I'll need cross bracing between the plows, but need it semi set so I can figure those out. Member olcowhand gave me a distance from one plow point to the next of 19". I am going to try for a 9.75" spacing between the two so the second plow cleans the first furrow wall. It's gonna be long, just hope Alice can lift all this. I'm thinking so, but that's a lot of weight back there. Oh well, I can give it a whirl and see what happens.
DSCN4149.JPG

The added weight is why I said go 19" instead of the 22" I set my 2-bottom at. The closer they are, the less weight leverage to deal with. But your hydraulics should lift it fine. Gonna watch how you build it, as I've been thinking of re-doing mine.
Thanks, Daniel! We'll see!
Beveled some edges to be welded together.
DSCN4150.JPG

Set up to weld the mount plates together. Haven't said before, but this is 1/2" X 2-1/2" bar stock.
DSCN4151.JPG

Started welding the mount together. Got it pretty flat as an 0.011" feeler gauge is all that would fit that far in.
DSCN4152.JPG DSCN4153.JPG

Next up was the long piece at 90°. Took a bit to get it standing right.
DSCN4154.JPG

Got it all welded together. Glad I got the old Lincoln hooked up as I ran out of wire for the mig before I was finished. I'm no pretty welder, but they hold (if I weld solid and not just tack welds).
DSCN4155.JPG DSCN4156.JPG

A few more pics for your viewing pleasure! General idea of what I'm looking at in the first pic.
DSCN4157.JPG

I had to put a 1/2" shim under the 3-point plow to get it level. The other seems to be leaning some the other way.
DSCN4158.JPG DSCN4159.JPG

And my front mount is off on the vertical mount a little. May be able to shim that though. Only about 1/8" top to bottom.
DSCN4160.JPG

I may swap plows on the beams to see what happens!

If one plow has a better point than the other, I'd put the best one up front. Reason being the front one hits the ground first, and if the rear point is worn a lot, the first plow will pull it into the ground easy. I had to shim on mine too.
I swapped them around, Daniel! I found a bend at the old sleeve hitch mount. About 1/8" in 5". Took things apart and addressed that.
DSCN4161.JPG DSCN4162.JPG

Another view with the plows swapped.
DSCN4163.JPG

I decided I could weld one hole up in the mount bar and drill a new one to let the plow sit right without using a shim at the front. Got that done and letting the piece cool to drill the new hole. Once that is done, it's on to figuring out the cross braces. That will be fun! I have tomorrow to work on it, then have a customers mower to fix Wed. if the parts show up. Then I can get back into the groove!

I only see one problem with this - cuts your seat time in half. :eek: But then again it leaves more time for thinking up the next project. :thumbs:
Now to see if I can pull it!
I got the back brace made up!
DSCN4164.JPG

Here's the front mounts.
DSCN4165.JPG

And both braces.
DSCN4166.JPG DSCN4167.JPG

Next is hooking it up the Alice for a photo op, then give it a whirl in Arron's garden! It's not very big, have to be ready to pull it out of the ground real quick.

There's a problem there Kenny. The way you did the braces, you can't change the pitch individually. I put my braces all the the pivot point, that way each plow can be adjusted separately.
Okay! Maybe that's why I had issues with depth. I'm gonna loosen bolts and bring the toe of the second one up some. But Alice did me proud and we turned some dirt! :thumbs: I may need some pics of yours to see what you did.
Here I had Alice up on the board for initial adjustment.
DSCN4168.JPG
Out for the photo op!
DSCN4169.JPG DSCN4170.JPG

After plowing Arron's garden
DSCN4171.JPG DSCN4172.JPG

Here's the garden. He has some tree roots down in there and I got hung a few times!
DSCN4173.JPG DSCN4174.JPG DSCN4175.JPG

DSCN4176.JPG DSCN4177.JPG

All in all, I'm happy. Needs more tweaking, think I have the rear plow set with too much toe down as I could see places I was going 8-10" deep!

Back