2020 garden season

jabelman

Tractorologist
I wil start this one off.
I had several large tulip taken out this winter. making room for the 1st phase of the orchard. I started small, ordered 4 apple, 4 peach, 2 pear, 3 cherry trees from Willis orchards, very nice trees they sent. I planted them 3 weeks ago.
last year I did a big berry garden, blueberry, heritage raspberry, Cabot strawberry, and 4 grapes.
I ordered another set of straw berry plants, some gold raspberry from nourse. should be here 1st week in april.
vegetable garden is going to be huge this year for a few reasons, the kids had a blast selling at their stand last summer. see what happens

Which varieties of apple are you growing? We have trouble with fire blight in our apples, mainly the Fall Red, Honeycrisp, and September Ruby, as well as the crab apples, both Rescue and Dolgo I don't know if the trees come with it or if it's the fault of the location..I live in a small valley without a whole lot of direct wind to sweep disease/virus away. I'm to the point now of just taking them out as they get sick and concentrating on plums and berries for fruit.

All the apples around here get the Red Cedar Rust, a rusty brown blotches on the skin. Don't hurt the apples a bit, just makes them look bad. Not looking for commercial growing, just enough for our family and a couple others. Usually bring a few batches in to the nursing home. They love to get them and what ever they make goes over big. Brought one batch in to the hospital. Cook said, Oh, I thought they would be pealed already. Never went back.

my 8 year old who wants to be a farmer planted some seeds yesterday in containers, we dried a bunch of seeds last fall, see what happens.
It hit me this afternoon, I saved all the old windows from my house and I got a bunch of free 2x6×10s last weekend. think tomorrow we will build a bunch cold boxes, that should keep him busy.

Due to my recent knee injury, my gardening with have to be cut back this year. I had plans to reduce the size of the front (24' x 24') garden to 4' x 24' & just make it a flower bed. Not sure I'll be able to finish that job now, the excess may just have to lay idle. The other 24' square garden will supply all the vegetables I'll need. My tomato seeds are just sprouting as of today in the shop, my hoop greenhouse needs recovered & I'm not able to do that right now!

it's lovely to see all your gardens starting to take shape for the year .great idea for the children's roadside stall too

in the starter raised bed i have 6 unknown fruit trees and have planted a different one out , it's about 5" high now and doing well, the seeds are from fruit i was given by the eldest brother that i juiced in spring
, navel orange and another sort , bush lemon and a smooth skin lemon ,mandarine , lemonade ,purple grapefruit-orange cross , and another i don't remember the name of .
so it's a guess to which one's they are as i just threw all the mixed seed in the bed and took a chance but i also have seperate bottled seeds named too in the fridge in small herb bottles

Shane

tried to be productive today, there was a shady spot on the west side if the vegetable garden, last year I chopped out all the bar berries. today I dug out the roots, I then boxed the perimeter with some dead logs, I cut 16' and drug them out with quad.
this is going to be fern bed garden. ferns are cool looking. I will plant a variety of different ones. I have a bunch at my rental property, I had a real sweet koi pond when we I lived there.

Doing a different way to plant carrot seed with toilet paper(eat your hearts out, hoarders!!) and flour paste. When they are dried good I'll roll or fold them up and store in a coffee can in the fridge 'til planting time. Does anyone know if they should be laid out with the seeds up or down?
Mike

Attachments

• 001 (Small).JPG
    001 (Small).JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 3
yesterday the old man and the kid planted potatoes, they put in a lot of extra this year,
I tilled another row in the berry garden for extra strawberries, and tilled the row where the zinnias get planted. I put the cold frame boxes outside, it's been raining all day and it's chilly. tomorrow get those planted with radish and beets

Drove the Granddaughters RAM around the garden a couple days ago and it was almost muddy yet. Then yesterday we get another down pour for about 10 min. Sure greening the grass up but no garden work for a while yet.

Back