Other 2021 Black Hills Steam and Gas Threshing Bee

Looks like a great show Doug. Those old Farmalls sure were great machines. Thanks for sharing.

jhn9840
John

Jumpins one week Harley's the next week tractors. Neat.

Noel

They don't waste any time between events, although I don't think the Threshing Bee is much of a tourist draw. Hopefully next year it will be a bit cooler like this year was. We will probably take the '55 and maybe even a couple garden tractors for the parade. What I really need to do is get our old camper ready and stay the weekend just to see what all goes on! Biggest issue is there's no running water there.

Nice Farmall H.

Noel

Yup, she's pretty nice, huh?

DAC

Great pictures.
I'm a little amazed there's so much of this old iron still around. Not just there but throughout the country..
I was amazed to see this much old equipment running! It's one thing to see cool old iron just sitting but almost everything we saw was running condition! Glad there are folks preserving this stuff, restored or original, even if they require some updates to keep them running!

DAC

This big old beast gave us the biggest "wow" of the parade. It was so massive coming at us, not very fast either---LOL!
DSCN3478.JPG

Then when it got in front of us I was thinking, "where's the engine"---LOL!
DSCN3479.JPG

It says "Avery" on the radiator cowl.
DSCN3478 cropped.jpg

DAC

This big old beast gave us the biggest "wow" of the parade. It was so massive coming at us, not very fast either---LOL!
View attachment 41175

Then when it got in front of us I was thinking, "where's the engine"---LOL!
View attachment 41176

It says "Avery" on the radiator cowl.
View attachment 41177

DAC
I think that's a Avery 40-60 or 40-80. Back in the day they use to number them by horsepower rating, lowest number is drawbar pull hp, and the highest is the belt pulley hp. While the horsepower rating may seem low, the gearing and torque in those beast could pull a house off it's foundation.

That Avery was at the Pageant of Steam in NY a few weeks ago. You are correct it's huge. Especially when you are in a golf cart.
That is a long way to haul that big old beast! New York to Sturgis, Steve! Obviously they must at least remove the rear wheels. It would be interesting just to see how it is transported!

DAC

The trucking cost some of these people are paying must be out of this world. There is a lot of really large and heavy equipment at some of the shows.
I can't imagine there is any payback for touring with a tractor like that Steve! Must have deep pockets and a love for sharing the history of that Avery!

DAC

Back