6hp Craftsman Power Unit Restoration

I got both the standard and the metric. These hardware assortments are real handy and convenient to have.
The one I bought at HF was metric, the only one they had at the time. Still managed to find one that fit the slot just fine. It was for the disc brake rotor. The rotor needs to be able to slide on the transaxle shaft.

Hi Everybody,

I got a long overdue update on the tractor. Tonight my stepdad motivated me to start poking at it again because he was working on his. I hardly did anything, I just looked at my spindles since my stepdad took his apart, and they look pretty good. They’re even and have grease on em. I told my stepdad he can use them on his tractor temporarily while he fixes his, and he said maybe. Here are a few pictures, otherwise this is all I did. This is all for now….

View attachment 83340

View attachment 83341

View attachment 83342
Every little bit helps, Eric! Keep hammering away at it! Spindles look good.

DAC

Going back a bit here but I took the belt off the engine shroud and starter generator, see the first picture in post #4. It looks like it is the original belt too, it is worn a bit on the edges so I decided to get a new one so it doesn't break on me while i'm driving the tractor. So technically as a safety precaution, see 4th picture below.....
View attachment 47731View attachment 47732View attachment 47733

Since taking the old belt off, I went to my local tractor supply and bought a new one and the closest one I could match up. It is a little longer than the original but I think it will work. I am planning on mocking up the shroud and putting the belt on to see if it fits, if it doesn't it will get returned to tractor supply.....
View attachment 47734

Hi Everyone,

I’m replying to my post here above from page 1. I bought the correct belt today from tractor supply. I just had a gut feelin that the Toro one in my above post was the wrong size, and I just bought a 3/8X33 inch one for my hydro Craftsman and it fit perfectly so I wanted more of them. I went to Napa for them to use the big belt measuring tool to see what size the original belt was, and the salesman said they did not have the belt tool anymore. He did however measure it with a tape measure all the way around for me while I was there, and he measured it at 31.5 inches. After that I went to tractor supply and got the 32 inch belt here. After I got the one for the hydro, this is my new go to belt….

73FA7000-489A-4EBF-8817-F5AA4F146F65.jpeg

Back