6hp Craftsman Power Unit Restoration

The last gift my stepdad gave me that I'm thrilled about is the gas tank gauges, and yes they too are NOS like the fittings. I am thrilled to have these...... well at least the one that looks like the original because it looks exactly like the old one, it's NOS and I love NOS stuff, it fits on the tank, and the old one I somehow lost somewhere when I remember saving it while it had dirt and junk in it anyway. I do not at all care if it shorter in length or not like in the 2nd picture, I just care that its the correct style. Sorry but I tend to be picky and nuts like that. The last picture is the other one I got, unfortunately it is the wrong style but that one will go on my 10 horsepower Craftsman anyway.......

guages 1.jpg

gauges 2.jpg

gauges 3.jpg

gauges 4.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Nothin done to the tractor as of late but I just wanted to let everyone know what I found on ebay today. I can't beleive I found this, and it's NOS too. The price just turns me off though at $135.00. I'm tempted to buy it just as a spare but i'm undecided, but I most likely will pass on it at the price........

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

While that is true Kenny and while I appreciate the link, the one you posted is the wrong style I want. If you know me, I am too much of an original nut and like as much as original as possible. Just to let you know too, Bolens1000 is also the same seller that has the one I posted too for $135.00. I told my stepdad about it and he says the sellers nuts. He says "$135.00?!, more like $35.00. It's for a lawn tractor not a car". That said......unless the seller reduces the price, i'm out..

Hi Everybody,

Again like last time not much has been done on the tractor as of late, as I been working on my other 10hp 857 Craftsman and painting new rims for my truck. Baby steps though because today I bought a new fuel line from Tractor Supply for it because when I got it, it had no fuel line. This is actually the 2nd fuel line I bought for this project tractor, because I bought one a few days ago but I already used it on my other tractor as it was giving me fuel delivery problems. I hope to start to working on this project tractor because 1) my other tractor is done now for temporarily, and 2) I wanna try to get it done for my personal deadline of late this year in 2023 or early 2024. This is all for now, I hope to have more updates soon.......

1676697116064.png

Hi Everyone,

Not much of an update on the tractor lately but I took the drive belt off because it was just hanging there on the pulley to take it to get it compared to my 10hp Craftsman belt, I primed some parts for it, and I also got a paint quote estimate as well which will cost around $585.00 with tax.

tractor almost there 4.jpg

tractor apart 6.jpg

paint quote 1.jpg

Hi Everyone,

I got a little update on the tractor. It's not much of one by any means but baby steps as they say. I sandblasted the headlight assembly. Now all that needs to be done is to "body work" meaning sand them with 320 grit, put some primer on them, sand them again and primer them again to get the little rust pits out. This is all for now, more to come soon hopefully in the next week or so......

blasted lights 1.jpg

blasted lights 2.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Not too much on the ol tractor lately as I been working on my 10hp 857 Craftsman trying to get it ready for its first show at the beginning of next month, and of course other projects too. I did however prime and paint the clutch pulley though this past Monday. Picture 1 is when it was in primer and picture 2 is all painted. I'm also currently working on painting the headlight frames as well, which I will post soon too. As I been saying lately, baby steps. This is all for now, more to come hopefully soon......

pulley 1.jpg

pulley 2.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Wow I can't beleive it's been since April since I updated this post. Still nothin' unfortunately done on the tractor but I'm in the process of thinking and potentially buying a kit to rebuild the engine. However for an "update' I was just curious and took the original carburetor apart to see how it looked after sitting for 15 years, because my stepdad is thinking about getting a new carburetor for his 6hp Craftsman and I figure maybe get 2 at the same time instead of ordering at different times. Well........ It's NOT good as I expected, but actually worse than I expected. My opinion is its not repairable so luckily I have my spare engine that came with the tractor when I bought it, so I looked at that one it's better and in my opinion it will get used. Here's the original carburetor when I took the bowl off.........

IMG_0264.jpg

Here is the carburetor off the spare engine.........

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

Your spare looks usable. But I would pull out the Welch plugs and clean in there too..probably 2 on that carburetor.

Thank you for the video Bill, that will be VERY helpful to me as its my first official carburetor rebuild. I'm going to rebuild it the right way and do everything. Speaking of rebuilds, I just bought this carburetor rebuild kit for it.......

1692201555075.png

I'm going to rebuild it the right way and do everything.

Ok, that was sadly false because I ain't done nothin with this tractor in months. But there again life kinda got in the way for me, and I been working on other tractors too when I felt up to it. Hi Everybody, Happy Thanksgiving to you and your families. I hope you don't eat too much today. Nothin really done to the tractor as of late with me going to my kidney dialysis 3 days a week, it raining here the last couple days, and now the holiday today. I did however last week clear it off some because it was getting to be a super storage shelf again, and I moved it out of its spot where its been for about a year and swapped it with my newest '69 hydrostatic Craftsman tractor to hopefully start working on it again before the snow flies. Here are some pictures of it before and after I cleared it off, starting with before.......

1700752817642.png

1700752837395.png

1700752862499.png

I also bought a starter generator rebuild kit from ISAVETRACTORS because I plan to rebuild the generator while I'm restoring the tractor. It probably doesn't need it but I'm not taking any chances, as the member on MyTractorForum I bought it from said the tractor has been sitting outside for about 15 years. This is all for now, hopefully I will have more updates soon........

Hi Everybody.

Still nothin done to the tractor yet but I did however go out today, and went to Harbor Freight because they have a Black Friday sale going on with the Thanksgiving holiday and got a paint gun to paint the tractor with. Although my stepdad said I can use his when the time comes, the deal was too good to pass up. Hopefully it works but now that I have this I'm gettin' excited, sorry but its the little things. More to hopefully come soon........

paint gun 1.jpg

paint gun 2.jpg

paint gun 3.jpg

For the money those HF guns seem to work real well, Eric. I know a guy who does various restorations. He uses those 20 dollar guns and throws them away after he's done with them! I've told him to throw them my way but so far none! I can't bring myself to do that, throw away spray guns!

DAC

Hi Everybody,

I finally started chipping away at the tractor again today. Today I did something I started to do awhile ago then stopped because of rust issues, which was taking the hitch off. I had to have my stepdad help me with it. I got the bolts loose, but couldn’t get the nuts loose to come off smoothly like they’re supposed to with whatever I did. I tried spraying WD40 on it with a normal ratchet socket and wrench and that didn’t do it, then I tried a breaker bar and that didn’t do it either. So my stepdad had to help me get the nuts off with his special ratchet breaker bar which I do not have and that worked, but they broke so I need new ones. I also seemed to look down at the pulley on the transmission for some reason, and I don’t like the look of it so I’ll more than likely have to get a new one but I’ll look at it more when I get to it later on.

35414C44-C6B9-49A6-8322-AC723847CED3.jpeg

8A13AA75-ABA3-43FC-9887-17B7C617309E.jpeg

7006E6EC-A84F-41C4-8AC7-10260E606FA4.jpeg

I have one of the 8-dollar spray guns too, but I think the price has gone up now. Breaking off or cutting bolts is sometimes the only choice, Eric. That pulley might clean up with a wire wheel or bead blast.

DAC

Back