A Belt Idler needed

chieffan

Tractorologist
This is an MTD add on part, 3/8" bore X 3" diameter A belt or the old fan belt idler pulley. Closes I could find was from Northern Tool, 3/8" X 2-5/8 V belt pulley. Took them 2 weeks to figure out they were out of stock and on back order. This idler provides tension on the fan only on a d600 Kubota diesel in a 1512 C C tractor. Everything I found is 5/8 bore X 3" V belt application. Possibly make a V belt pulley work, belt would ride deeper in the pulley but have plenty of adjustment. Anyone have any idea on where to look to find one would be appreciated.

Not sure if it is a single bearing or double bearing. It is crimped in on both sides, lot like the electric PTO clutch bearings are. Another bushing goes on with the bushing built into the pulley but not concerned about that as I have bushings. 20210608_094804.jpg 20210608_094818.jpg It turns again now but rough and noisey. It was seized sold when I took it off.

With crimped in brgs I've carefully ground the crimp off with a carbide bit in my die grinder, knock the old brgs out and use a liberal coating of locktite on the new brgs and bores. Haven't had one come loose yet. The one in the left pic looks like it may be uncommon so can't guarantee availability.

If you press that bushing out of the center, you'll probably find a 5/8" bore for the bearing.

Last edited:
No pressing it out. Crimped in good from both sides. I have seen those Phonex pulleys but they do not state the belt size and no wide at the belt contact point. Only over all width which don't mean much. Might make a 1/2 wide pulley work but no a B belt pulley. That is where I get hung up on all the listings. Waiting for a reply on a couple now. Last one said "We have over 16000 items in our ware house and do not have that information." By-by baby !

Missed that post some how, sorry. I tried that with a PTO clutch bearing. Same bearing number but the replacemend was a tiny bit samaller and fell in and out. Might have to go that route, then try and find the right size bearing. Have a good source in Omaha with Baum Iron. If they cant get it, probably isn't made.

The International part number for that is 1254991C1 and the Cub Cadet is 765-3032 or 956-3032. It's NLA from both but if you have an older Case-IH or Cub Cadet dealer around they may have one left over. When I had to replace the one on my 882 I used a pulley and bushing from Tractor Supply. The website says it's a combination pulley for A and B belts but the V groove is closer to A or 1/2 width belts
Pulley: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...idler-pulley-5-8-in-bore-3-in-od?cm_vc=-10005
Bushing: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...to-3-8-in-steel-shoulder-bushing?cm_vc=-10005

I have checked with the older IH and CC dealers around and none of them have them, and like you say NLA. I ordered one from Phoenix Mfg. Been down for over 4 weeks now and tired of waiting on Northern tool to decide if they have, going to get it or what.

Mcmaster carr has it and lots of other cool stuff

Will check them again but they was one of the first I went to. Thanks.

Searched a different way this time and got a listing for the A belt pulleys. Your right, they did have the exact one I needed. Thanks again.

Last edited:
After checking them again and looking at the CAD drawing, the inside width is 0.50". That is A belt size like they show in the listing. The old sizing of an A belt like the fan belt used on the cars back in the 50-60's no longer applies. Those narrow belts are now 3L, 3X size belts. So-o-o-o-o-o. Back to score one. Have one to pick up at NAPA tomorrow that he found in Mn. Did find one a member on another site provided. But - cannot buy from them. They sell through their dealers only and don't provide any way to find where a dealer is. They say just to check with parts stores that sell belts. Good luck with that in rural America where the closest city is 90 miles away.

Chieffan: It looks like the idler on my old 33" Snapper RER. I know that it uses a 3/8" bolt to secure it. I'm not at the shop now, but it may be 3". There are thousands of these Snappers around, shouldn't be hard to find a dealer with one. Good luck.

Sheenist

Yes, there are a bunch around and available - - but they are about all for a 1/2 V belts, not for the 3/8" 3L belts. 3L belts rind in the bottom of a 1/2" V belt aand not on the side where it is supposed to. I finally found what I needed, have it on and mowed with it for 2.5 hours yesterday. So back in business again.

Last edited:
Back