A Few Tools For Christmas

I’d almost bet they will discount or continue your current discount if you call and threaten to cancel your plan.

Paramount plus, Netflix, and YouTube are all I watch. But my wife is the one that says we have to have cable.
Carol thinks the cable is like loosing a child. I would do it now. Your right I’m sure they will bargain some before they would loose a customer. If I bought anything else it would be YouTube Tv. The Paramount Plus is a fee by itself isn’t it Aaron.

I wore out a couple of those cordless Dremel's 20-25 years ago when I was doing a lot of custom HO slotcar building. The batteries usually gave out before the tool. Used one for the actual building of the cars and another one for cleaning pickup shoes during races. First thing I did will all the Dremel's is get rid of the wrench chuck and go to a finger tighten one. My old single speed corded Dremel from the early 1990's is still going strong. I built a variable speed outlet for it using a ceiling fan rheostat.

Unless something else comes up, I have to stick with cable to get NASCAR and NHRA live. Worst part is in our location there is no competition. In town there are two providers that you can play back and forth. Can't do dish as I was told that the house and the shop would have to have two separate accounts. I watch very little TV other than racing season. Wife always has something on to fall asleep by and that is usually one of the streaming services, Prime or Roku. Oh another thing I do like about our cable is the "local on the 8's" on the Weather Channel is actually local.

DAC

That is the big trouble with those streaming things. Mostly movies and very little live programming. I check on several some time back and to get the main channels we watch would cost more to stream. I know nothing about those Fire Sticks except the name and it plugs into a TV some place.
Kids have some kind of TV service but the remote has about 9 symbols on it with a big button in the middle with the 4 compass points on it. The digital DISH receiver is so complicated to do anything with it takes a full size manual 1/2" thick. Takes 10 min to try to program it to record something and watch something else so we don't bother doing it. More technology stuff that some computer grue come up with. Sure didn't have any issues when we had the good old VCR tapes.

I am thinking about subscribing to "Flo Racing". Non stop racing action, and they carry some of the biggest dirt track events in the country, Right now they have the biggest races for Miro Sprint cars going on in Kenny's back yard in Tulsa, OK. All live racing. It's a 6 day event with over 1,000 cars attempting to get a "Golden Driller" trophy. Kids as young as 12 are racing up to "seniors in their 20's! This is the "pre-show" to the big one in the Tulsa Sports complex. In January, the "Chili Bowl attracts the veteran Midget Racers, NASCAR and World of Outlaw stars, USAC stars, you name it. Chili Bowl is the Indy 500 for Midget Racers. I have still not pulled the trigger for 150 bucks a year, but I think by typing this, I may have talked myself into it---LOL! That is possibly my Christmas present to myself.

DAC

I am thinking about subscribing to "Flo Racing". Non stop racing action, and they carry some of the biggest dirt track events in the country, Right now they have the biggest races for Miro Sprint cars going on in Kenny's back yard in Tulsa, OK. All live racing. It's a 6 day event with over 1,000 cars attempting to get a "Golden Driller" trophy. Kids as young as 12 are racing up to "seniors in their 20's! This is the "pre-show" to the big one in the Tulsa Sports complex. In January, the "Chili Bowl attracts the veteran Midget Racers, NASCAR and World of Outlaw stars, USAC stars, you name it. Chili Bowl is the Indy 500 for Midget Racers. I have still not pulled the trigger for 150 bucks a year, but I think by typing this, I may have talked myself into it---LOL! That is possibly my Christmas present to myself.

DAC
That includes MavTV too which has a lot of dirt track racing

That includes MavTV too which has a lot of dirt track racing
Do you subscribe to it, Jim? MavTV carries the Knoxville Nationals, the biggest dirt races in the U.S. As you know I like asphalt racing too and they have a lot of that covered on Flo too! What's coolest about it is that the qualifier races are covered by this network, not just the main events.

We have MavTV Select on Roku but it's pretty lame.

DAC

I did some checking on the fire sticks and the streaming services. To get one channel we definitely want would to $90 a year, for one channel ! We don't watch movies so 95% of the Fire Stick stuff is dead material for us. Going to stay with Dish - much cheaper.

Do you subscribe to it, Jim? MavTV carries the Knoxville Nationals, the biggest dirt races in the U.S. As you know I like asphalt racing too and they have a lot of that covered on Flo too! What's coolest about it is that the qualifier races are covered by this network, not just the main events.

We have MavTV Select on Roku but it's pretty lame.

DAC
We have MavTV as an upgrade on our cable. My problem is if I ditch the cable what hopefully would be one subscribed channel should I replace it with to get what we both want. After doing some research I’m beginning to think after getting this fire stick just keeping the cable we have. It might work for both of us especially if they don’t raise the price or even lower it now.

I did some checking on the fire sticks and the streaming services. To get one channel we definitely want would to $90 a year, for one channel ! We don't watch movies so 95% of the Fire Stick stuff is dead material for us. Going to stay with Dish - much cheaper.
What channel are you looking for Roger. Your not looking well enough at the fire stick. So far I’ve installed 38 channels all free and like I mentioned each channel has thousands of movies and tv shows. Yes they are a lot of channels you have to subscribe to but I’m not interested in those just the free stuff.

That is mainly what I would want is the free channels. Main ones would be RFD ($89.95/year), History, Weather, ESPN, Fox, CBS Sports, Discovery,NFL, Also local channels for news and weather. Lot of them say "local" but local to where ? ?

You are lot more savoy to this kind of stuff than I am by far. If I don't understand it I can't use it. Highest rated Fire Stick I found was Amazon so that is where I looked. Cable bill now is About $120/year for 240 channels and 75% of them are junk stuff.

Another thing that concerns me is when ever I try to watch something on You Tube all it does is load bit and play a bit, load bit play a bit. For that reason I only use You Tube as a very last resort. Looks to me like about the same thing on streaming something.

Last edited:
Your interests are much like mine that’s why I’m thinking about just keeping the cable we have and try to get them to bargain with me. So far it looks like to get what we both like on cable would cost us about the same by switching to a different channel like YouTube Tv, Discovery +, or a couple more I looked into. We only sit down in the evenings to watch a few hours before bedtime anyway.

Good to know we am not clear out in left field in what we watch. Not counting the NASCAR races, NFL on Sunday afternoons, a few hours in the evening to relax before bed time is all I watch also. Cable/satellite Co.'s like to brag about all the channels they provide when the majority of them I doubt anyone watches. Might get a Fire Stick just to play around with during inclimate weather.

Last edited:
Good to know we am not clear out in left field in what we watch. Not counting the NASCAR races, NFL on Sunday afternoons, a few hours in the evening to relax before bed time is all I watch also. Cable/satellite Co.'s like to brag about all the channels they provide when the majority of them I doubt anyone watches. Might get a Fire Stick just to play around with during inclimate weather.
I’ve been watching Columbo and the Fugitive lately. The Amazon fire stick also has the Roku channel free. It has a lot of free choices on that alone.

Back