Adding pulse pump to Kohler motor

TAHOE

Tractorologist
Just wondering if anyone has ever added a pulse pump to an engine that did not come with one. The Kohler in the free JD mower I have is knocking real bad, I got a good running engine for it, but it does not have a pump and gas tank is mounted under seat. It has the boss for one, a friend told me to drill into the case and add a barbed fitting to add a pulse pump. I have seen 2 videos on YouTube and they seemed to work, just wondering your thoughts.
I also read not to drill valve cover on the Kohler command single as the pressure inside valve cover is not consistent.
I also wonder if I drill out the boss, would cam have the lobe on it to run the pump from knocking motor and I could just mount it on there?

Here is my block.

20190605_173707.jpg

I would just add an electric fuel pump and be done. The great thing about electric is if engine sits a while the bowl dries up and takes a lot of cranking to fill the carb if it has a vacuum pump. An electric fills the bowl in a couple seconds. Here is what I use. Never had issue with this pump overpowering the float/needle. Less than $9 delivered.

I would just add an electric fuel pump and be done. The great thing about electric is if engine sits a while the bowl dries up and takes a lot of cranking to fill the carb. An electric fills the bowl in a couple seconds. Here is what I use. Never had issue with this pump overpowering the float/needle. Less than $9 delivered.

I would just be worried it would be too much pressure for float and flood carb. I have a couple pulse pumps, that's why I was asking if this would work.

Yes Marty, you can drill and tap a hole for a pulse fitting. I would go through one of the bolt holes and tap with a 1/8" npt tap. The through hole wont need to be more than 1/8". Drill and tap the npt first, then blow out debris. When you drill the through hole, put a small bit of grease on the drill bit to catch the bits of aluminum.

Took longer to get tools out than it did to drill and tap this modification. Now I gotta remove old motor and get this one on. Looks like I may have to change stator as old motor only has one charge wire not the 2.

20190613_192957.jpg
20190613_193023.jpg
20190613_193042.jpg
20190613_193955.jpg
20190613_194410.jpg

Back