Ag tires on a 917H

Lawdawg79

Tractorologist
So im gettin rid of these no traction turf tires. Def need ag tires for my hills and ventures down the trail to my firewood supply area. Pulling around sections of some trees im gonna cut down. Pulling trailer of landscape materials etc.....

I see guys put the 26x12-12s on these, they look good but wont that mess up my deck cut height?

Im not opposed to 23x10.5-12 ag tires, just wondering if the bigger is any better. Or if they just look better.

The deestone D405 seems sufficient for my needs.

Ive considered ATVs, but traction seems like its a matter of opinion with them.

I don't have the experience one way or the other with either on a tractor. But in the bit of reading and research I've done, it seems like the ATVs are kind of an in between, better than turfs, tear up yards less than ags, but not as much traction as ags.

I run the deestones on my Sears, just an FYI, they do run smaller than advertised. My 23x10.50's actually measure 22x9 on stock Sears 8" rim's. They work well though, I used them all year round from snow plowing, garden duty, mowing, etc, don't tear up yard as bad as the turfs did.
I would also look at the BKT TR315, they are decent tires. Although it appears they have change the tread, that size used to have the lugs closer together they use to look like the old Goodyear GT tire.
Tractor supply also sells Hi Run brand, they are decent tires also

You can also look into the "all trail" type GT tire, but I'm pretty Carlise only make these and they can be $$$$$.

I'll probably be the minority here, but....Turfs with chains are just as good as anything else.

In the winter with AGs I still need chains to push snow, and without chains they do pretty much the same as turfs without chains.

I've fallen into the I'd rather run turfs cuttings grass and throw on a set of chains when I need them, rather than have to tear my yard up with ags when cutting grass.

I have too many hilly areas. I tore some of the worst ruts ive ever made mowing with the current turfs just from spinning them. Some grades are steep enough that i wouldnt go sideways on them, up and down only. So i need the traction for around 60% of my mowing and every time i drive from the front yard to the back. Im southern Illinois but i live on the bluffs in a valley.

IMO you'll probably find that AGs will give you a little better traction in certain areas, but when they spin its even worse than with turfs! The cubs throw clods of sod when they spin.

The best thing I ever had for traction is the diff lock on my deere....only tractor I've ever had with one and I use it all the time.

Put ags on. And load them. Put 6 to 8 psi in them. That will work. I run ags on most of my grass cuttin machines and never tear up grass. I also use my 51 Ferguson farm tractor around the yard and houses to cut the grass, and the tires are loaded on it too, and never leaves a mark.
I use gator atv tires on my John Deere 140 H3. They are great.

Noel

Attachments

• 06EC8BA1-D7A0-4E79-AEA6-EFB35D34DB49.jpeg
    06EC8BA1-D7A0-4E79-AEA6-EFB35D34DB49.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 19
  • B98DA9EC-65EC-4567-A045-A827094AFBA9.jpeg
    B98DA9EC-65EC-4567-A045-A827094AFBA9.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 19
  • F12F51F4-0845-419F-B0F3-38BFF37E2235.png
    F12F51F4-0845-419F-B0F3-38BFF37E2235.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
I have the same or similar ATV tires on my Sears suburban, I think mine are 25x10. Can't say how they do, I bought the tractor recently and PO had bought them. Its undergoing complete repaint at the moment. They sure fill up the fenders on mine.
39279967_10212950391301635_778490898601213952_o.jpg
20190614_192505.jpg

ATV tires dont need to be loaded, a set of wheel weights is all Ive ever added. In the summer ATV and AG tires are fairly comparable... but in the winter there is no comparison, an AG tire is useless without chains.... ATV tires work in all terrain and all seasons without chains or excessive ballast.

yes AG are a harder compound rubber and usually have a higher recommended pressure... ATVs are softer and usually only around 8 to 14 lbs. AG=Agricultural meaning they are specifically designed to work in dirt.... ATV=All Terrain Vehicle and they do work well in all terrain... including snow/ice. The biggest bonus tho is that ATVs are easy to find used and cheap because alot of people swap out the tires on brand new quads and side by sides... their take-offs can often be purchased in near new condition for as little as $20 a tire. Its the cheapest traction you can buy.

well lance not around here..... they seem to want "new" price for anything ATV and usually 3/4 worn out or more....
and though I know that they were made in 12" it seems that about 95% of what I see come up as for sale is for a 9 or 10"

Most I have ever paid is $100 for two Kenda Bearclaws, brand new, customer odered them but never came back so the dealer sold they to me cheap. Least Ive paid was $40 for two Duro Red Eagle take-offs in near new condition and not too long ago I got four Carlisle Badlands XTR for $120... also in near new condition.... and Im not the only one... lots of people on several GT forums from around the world are starting to realize they can go this route. There will always be someone that thinks they can ask top dollar for anything but if you want them you can find them for decent prices.

I paid 150 for four gators. Two were 26x12x12. Other two were 26x10x12. This was six years ago.
Have had great luck with them. Maybe a 1/2 “ worn off the center.

Noel

Yall make good points. Considering i may be pulling some heavy trailer loads either up or down hills makes me think Ags are best w the harder compound. wouldn't a set of tire chains give them Traction in winter?

I have some trees to fall and drag around. I also have a swampy area that i sometimes drag brush into. My 4 wheeler has needed 4x4 down there if its wet out.

driving down my steepest Hill today I set the speed too low to kind of crawl down the hill. There's a certain area were I watched the turf tires slipping, thats with no load and dry as a bone out.

But my mind still isn't made up yet. Honestly, a good ATV or Ag would probably do me well for 98% of what I'm going to do.

Back