Ag tires on a 917H

I find it amusing that while every farmer Ive ever known considers it a Royal PITA to fill and add chains to the AG tires on their full size farm tractors... the GT folks on these forums still insist that it works good on an 800 lb tractor.. makes no sense to me but hey, it looks good.

Well it seems to be a complete pain ita to get these tires mounted.

First place i tried said they cant do smallerthan 13", how convenient. :rolleyes:

2nd place I called first and the guy i talked to said bring em by anytime. Then i get there and a manager type guy greets me at the counter, everything was good til he realized i already have the tires. Then it was, oh well let me see what you have. So we walk out to my truck and upon seeing them he tells me it will be a minimum of 68 bucks per tire to mount them. :rolleyes:

Well it seems to be a complete pain ita to get these tires mounted.

First place i tried said they cant do smallerthan 13", how convenient. :rolleyes:

2nd place I called first and the guy i talked to said bring em by anytime. Then i get there and a manager type guy greets me at the counter, everything was good til he realized i already have the tires. Then it was, oh well let me see what you have. So we walk out to my truck and upon seeing them he tells me it will be a minimum of 68 bucks per tire to mount them. :rolleyes:
That's why I have my own machine!

I asked on facebook so now Ive got a few other places to try ar the advice of some friends, but wont have another chance until saturday

They dont make any money tieing up their worker and machine for a mount job on a tractor tire that are more of a pain in the butt than a car tire..

Find a small mom and pop shop that has a tire machine.

A couple tips.
Leave the new tires in the Sun as long as you can.
Use alot of Dawn Dish soap mixed with water.
Have at least three prying tools. Pry bar and two large flat tip screw drivers / tire tools.
Use a knee to press down on the tire to leverage the center rim space.
You will sweat alot! but it can be done.

OH and make sure the tread is facing the right way! I had to do over one.

Attachments

• 0 Hulk II.jpg
    0 Hulk II.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 6
What Larry said, and I use a pair of vise grips clamped to the rim edge to keep the tire from coming off, say the left side, while I'm prying the tire on around the right side. Hopefully that makes sense.

Noel

well lance not around here..... they seem to want "new" price for anything ATV and usually 3/4 worn out or more....
and though I know that they were made in 12" it seems that about 95% of what I see come up as for sale is for a 9 or 10"
Same here DT used atv tires are ridiculous around me. I've been trying to find some reasonable for my Mtd990. It's been sitting for almost a year. I gave up the other day & bought a used almost new pair of 15" truck snow tires. I'll keep looking because I like the look of Lance's 990 with atv tires.

What Larry said is key let all of them bake in the sun all day if you can. I've changed them so hot you can't lean on them when you get to the wrestling phase.

I could care less about the back tire "looks". I go for how well they work. Ag tires loaded on the Bolens G12 mainly for garden plowing. Ag tires on the H16XL with front blade and Ag tires on the 1512 Cub with 35lb weights for mowing. All 3 work very well for their respective duty. To keep them from spinning out SLOW DOWN. Give the tires a chance to grip & bite in before they spin out. Cub also serves as the snow thrower tractor and it gets chain on then. No chains - no go.

Seems to me if you have to load the tires or add chains then the tires themselves are not really working all that well.... I do all the same chores, and probably more, as anyone else and I do it with ATV tires... not loaded and no chains.

Seems to me if you have to load the tires or add chains then the tires themselves are not really working all that well.... I do all the same chores, and probably more, as anyone else and I do it with ATV tires... not loaded and no chains.

BUT - your same chores are under completely different conditions. What works in one area may not work well in another. Different machines require different setup to get the job done. It is not the chores being done, it is the conditions surrounding doing that chore. This makes your statement invalid in my opinion.

Back