And this one.

The 48 - 54 Chevrolets had a nine foot bed available. They were one ton pickups.
That may be true with one ton 1955-1959 also. I've never seen one but there should have been a demand for them!

The fella that has the orange GMC I posted yesterday, seen this in his yard today. And while stopped to take that picture saw a 67 four door chev goin along.

Noel

Looks like he's got another nice one there in the yard too!

Speaking of motor homes, I've got a "Born Free Detachable Motor Coach" sitting here we have never camped in yet. My wife's Uncle stopped by one day and unloaded it. He said "the wife can't get up in the bunk any more, so it's yours now"! Like I needed another project! The camper is a 1972 so it's actually perfect for my '72 GMC. I need to build a specific back bumper for the truck that has mounts in it and a couple of forward frame mounts for the camper to fit securely, then wire it and put a trailer brake in the truck. It's in better shape that the truck though! That's a whole nuther story!

DAC

camper move 003.jpgcamper move 004.jpg

My dad bought. anew 1956 Ford 250 that had a 8 foot box. I also think thre short boxes are built for city slickers to lazy to wash there own stuff and only use it to carry a couple garbage cans to the curb 75 feet away.

Really today unless you go into the dealer ship and order a pick up you will only find city trucks. All are loaded with a bunch of usless crap, carpenting (ever try to get cow manure out of it.) leather seats cold in the winter and hot all summer but of course city trucks have air too. they have slush box tranmissions so if you have a weak battery you can't park it on the barn mow ramp to roll start it.
It is always a delite to go to the Burton Mi home depot, on any given day some one will buy a load of lumber, load it up. then go to drive out the traffic light stops them on the hill. when th elight turns red a they dumpthe lumber right in the drive way. good thing there is a scond drive way to the wst a bit. Best one was about 50 sheets of dry wall dumped in the drive way and the street.
Bet they had to buy at least 25 new sheets to replace the busted up stuff.

Ford in Canada for years in Canada were Mercurys, Dodges were Fargos also.
When we were going to Canada fishing I thought I would some day buy a Mecury truck. Never have though and now not easy to find.

this 1971 Ford with 11' wolverine slid in camper had a custom built rear bumper. two tubes hung from the frame and two long tubes slid in and out of the hanging tubes and use pins to hold it. Had a fold down step in the center also.
We towed a 15' Saftey mate runabout behind th ecamper plenty of times.

Al

Last edited:
My sons buddy just bought this truck yesterday. 1992 Dodge, 250, diesel, 4 speed automatic, power windows, air and other goodies. 2 wheel drive. In nice shape. Was a California truck new, then went to BC, Canada then to NS, Canada , then PEI.

Noel

Attachments

• 4E933C25-1843-435B-AD64-B7FB204D3AD1.jpeg
    4E933C25-1843-435B-AD64-B7FB204D3AD1.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 3913FA11-F9A1-4EAC-9541-E65F5DD2D153.jpeg
    3913FA11-F9A1-4EAC-9541-E65F5DD2D153.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 53FF8B6E-64AD-4211-BDF3-A55176266F37.jpeg
    53FF8B6E-64AD-4211-BDF3-A55176266F37.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 5
My sons buddy just bought this truck yesterday. 1992 Dodge, 250, diesel, 4 speed automatic, power windows, air and other goodies. 2 wheel drive. In nice shape. Was a California truck new, then went to BC, Canada then to NS, Canada , then PEI.

Noel
Would love a truck like that, but I'd want a 4x4, I get in too many situations where I need it.

I had a truck same color but a 1991 4 speed stick, cummins 4x4. I would load the box down with all my hunting gear a genorator 55 gallos of water and about 8 20 pound propane tanks then throw in my buddies gear hunting gear. Get 24 MPH going up north to my deer camp. OH it had a Flite Weight cap on it above cab high about a foot.

Back home going to work would get 26 MPG with empty.
Great truck but wanted a Stealth and the 91 had over 195K miles when I sold it. Then got a 98 3 gen truck later Not near as good milage with the 4:11 gears. Who needs 4:11 gears with a stick shift Cummins?

Al

I've heard those are very reliable. Down side is they were kind of slow in the mountains.
There were factory turbo 22R engines but ya those stock 22R would be working hard just to move the motor home. This model I had not seen,,,
1986 atwood ks
'86 Sunraider

Just any real farmer how the like the short boxes. I recently bought some 8 feet fence post and rolls of woven wire. Had to tie the wire in as it wanted to roll out the tail gate, couldn't just shut it.

City slickers love them as they can get them in a city parking spot and even in the garage.

Al

A "rear farmer' would put the rolls of wire lengthwise with the post so they would not roll either way. By the way, most of "us" are smart enough to clean our feet off before we get in out vehicles. We also know what floor mats are for and use them.

Back