Another Case tractor project

Propane1

Tractorologist
Senior Member
Member
Done of the 446, so I’m going to move on to the snocaster for the 224.
This snocaster was sitting outside, along with the tractor, for about 5 years, before I got it. So every thing is seized. The little bit I’ve looked at it, nothing moved. So will see if I can get it operating, and if so, the mower deck will come off the 224 and snocaster will go on. Then the next thing to do, is a quick fix to the mower deck. Mowing will be here before you know it. Hehe.
So hopefully next week I’ll get the caster on the bench and begin. NO painting on this one.

Noel
 

Attachments

Propane1

Tractorologist
Senior Member
Member
There Gary. I did some painting. Hehe. Got most things loose today but needs a bit more work. Auger moves. It needs a lot of lube here and there. Going to clean out auger tube. Full of dirt, same as the other one. And I’ll fill it with oil till it starts to run out either end. And will pack bearings. The chute and universal for the chute crank were not stuck. But need lubing. Any way, it’s a start.

Noel
 

Attachments

MNGB

Tractorologist
Senior Member
Member
Noel I knew you wouldn't be able keep your off the rattle cans :p OH and its looking good so far this fall I have not gotten my snowcaster out of the storage area, I working on a deal to shift our snow allotment to your area as you have all those Case's
 
Last edited:

Propane1

Tractorologist
Senior Member
Member
A little more done today. Auger is out. Cleaned the dirt out of the auger tube. Packed grease in the bearings. After I got the auger out I was able to get the chain apart. Chain is rusty and very stiff. I have another old chain so we’ll see if the rusty chain will work out. If not may use the other old one. Still have one stuck pulley yet.

Noel
 

Attachments

Propane1

Tractorologist
Senior Member
Member
More done. Might be finished tomorrow. Hehe. Any way, auger back in. Need to adjust chain yet. Every thing in the pictures was seized that I’m pointing to. The pulley on the driveshaft that I’m pointing to means that the bearings on each end were seized. Only new parts so far is the connecting link and a cotter pin for the chain. Put about 1/4 or more of a litre the the auger tube. Filled until it was gunna run out. Will oil the bearings for a while. Not hard to refill. Just take one of the auger adjusters of. Used anti-seize on this thrower fix up too.

Noel
 

Attachments

Propane1

Tractorologist
Senior Member
Member
And the pointing to the auger means both bearings were seized. Soaked the chain in waste oil. It moves good now.

Noel
 

Attachments

Propane1

Tractorologist
Senior Member
Member
So did a little painting, somebody was wanting me to paint. Any way, the caster only had one homemade skid on it. Talked with the fella that I buy small engine stuff from and he could fix me up with skids. I guess most skids are 3” centre to centre for the bolt pattern. For some reason Case casters are 3 3/8” centre to centre, so would have to modify some thing. Then I figured, why buy skids, I could make one similar to the other homemade one. So that’s what I did. Found some old metal and made one. Have to adjust them once the caster is on the tractor.
The other thing I did was was cut another notch in the chute so it will turn farther each way. Did that to the other caster on the 446 too.
And finish putting other stuff back on, so it’s basically done now.
Also got the 1/2 link out out the chain and it’s adjusted good now, with lots of room to adjust it when needed.

Noel
 

Attachments

Top