Another tractor, a Ferguson this time.

Until you have to start buying batteries and tires for them. Not to mention numerous other items needed just to maintain them whether your using them or not. If it wasn't for that I'd probably still have a bunch of garden tractors.
Yep, batteries and tires, I agree with that. The old hand start tractor's are nice that way, no batteries to worry about. I guess we need to find some steel wheels for them to eliminate the tire problem. We have over 30 of both the antique/classic tractors and garden/lawn tractors. We regularly use about 15 of the antique/classic tractors and about 6 of the garden/lawn tractors which is plenty to keep up with when doing yearly maintenance.

Batteries are definitely the worst part. We keep good batteries in 4 GTs and the rest share a battery....

I've never worn out tires on a garden tractor. Even the cub 128 with thousands of hours still rolling on the factory tires from 1973. They look good yet.

Since Dad just finished up the Ford 9N charging system he went to work on the Ferguson last week. He has the alternator mounted up and all of the wiring done. After a short run to check it out it was time to get the water pump changed and and pull the fuel tank for cleaning. We found some play in the steering that we will try adjusting out once we get the steering wheel pulled.

GOPR0713-m.JPGGOPR0716-m.JPGGOPR0781-m.JPGGOPR0782-m.JPGGOPR0784-m.JPGGOPR0785-m.JPG

Looking good cjet69, is it a 1950 or older tractor ? Or a 54,55 ? Somethings make on it make it hard for me to tell a year

Just a suggestion. I don’t see a grease nipple in the front axle center pivot. Now would be the time to drill, tap and install a nipple so you can lube the bushing. I did it on my 1951 Ferguson. Newer models had it there.

Noel

Last edited:
Looking good cjet69, is it a 1950 or older tractor ? Or a 54,55 ? Somethings make on it make it hard for me to tell a year

Just a suggestion. I don’t see a grease nipple in the front axle center pivot. Now would be the time to drill, tap and install a nipple so you can lube the bushing. I did it on my 1951 Ferguson. Newer models had it there.

Noel

its serial # 14588 which looks to be 1949. Probably a good plan on the grease fitting. We did that to our fords years ago.

The lift lever quadrant has been bent and welded and sits at an angle. We thought about straightening, but decided to get a used one in good condition. The used part has a broken aluminum piece that the lever mounts too which we hope to swap with the original on our tractor that is still in good condition.

GOPR0783-m.JPGGOPR0788-m.JPG

We got everything pulled apart on the old and new lift quadrants. Neither one had a fiction disc left in them so we will need to get one. We used some heat to remove bolts and warmed the aluminum lever mount. With a little light tapping it came off undamaged.

100_3566-m.JPG100_3571-m.JPG100_3578-m.JPG100_3579-m.JPG

These last 2 pics show the welding and how sprung the old quadrant was when you compare the angles of the mounting flange to the outer lever guide.

100_3575-m.JPG100_3577-m.JPG

We set it in place to see how it looked. Its a lot better now, not askew like before. The new friction disc gives it a really nice feel. We still need to make a mounting flange gasket and read up on adjustment procedure's and then we will be ready for final install.

100_3583-m.JPG100_3585-m.JPG

We decided to open up the upper steering box. Found rough, rusty bearing's that were stuck on the shaft preventing any adjustment. Got the bearings loosened up and off of the shaft so its ready for new one's.

100_3588-m.JPG100_3590-m.JPG100_3591-m.JPG100_3592-m.JPG100_3593-m.JPG

Dad decided to pull the lower steering box for inspection and maybe some new seals. When he lifted it off the tractor he found a big mouse or rats nest underneath. I'm not sure how they got in, but the flywheel cover is missing so I assume that there is access to this cavity from behind the flywheel. Everything inside the steering box looks good.

100_3594-m.JPG100_3595-m.JPG100_3597-m.JPG100_3598-m.JPG

Hey cjet looks like they had a nice condo in there, those darn things seem to be able to get in anywhere, boy I have to say the sector gears look really good. A long time ago I had a wore out 2N and the sector gears got so bad it wouldn't steer I barely had 2 quarters to spend so ended up taking them the local blacksmith he welded up the gears we ground them with a angle grinder put it back together and it steered good sold it a few years later to an older guy that wanted to restore it he was happy with it and got it looking and working and running good., anyway your making progress

Last edited:
Back