April car show cancled.

alleyyooper

Tractorologist
The first car show of the season here is at Northwood instute in Midland Michigan. It is put on by the students in the autmotive section every year.
Of course with the avoidance distanceing the kids were sent home and can not put the show together.

Second show of the season is the Maple syrup fest in Shephard Mi has cancled for social distanceing also. it is alwas held the first Saturday of May.

Next show still showing as not cancled is 5-9-20 St. Johns touch a truck and car show.

I had told my friend Bill we would just have to call a few friends and cruise M25 up along the Lake Huron shore line.
Then Bill reminded me high lake levels and easterly winds have washed part of the road away.

Al

Yea we won't see that many ( if any) around here in a while. I don't even have the car out yet. They have a " no joy riding thing" in effect here too.

I haven't got the Buick out yet either. they have been stopping cars/suvs and pickup trucks on certien roads here to check why your out.
A nurse friend has been stopped twice on the interstate going to work at the hospital twice.
Once by a state cop and once by a snotty county female cop. she ticked Carol off so she called the sherriff finally getting a hold of him the second time and ripped on him.

He had her stop by the station and a big life saver decal was placed in the rear window of her Jeep.

If it ever warms up here I am getting the Buick out and raiseing it as high as my jack stands go. The under sides will get a por 15 coating.

Al

They have a " no joy riding thing" in effect here too.
That is one I have not heard of. With the cheap gas and nothing better to do, we got people joyriding all over the place here.
They put the county road next to me on the list of ‘best scenic roads to bike’ on a website a month ago.

So far just a few car shows had been cancelled here, earliest of course. It's still winter though. What was a huge success was a local car club publicized a cruise last week. Friday night was chosen and the weather worked out wonderful with it! Several hundred cars showed up to cruise what used to be the "main drag" here in Rapid City. There were people that stopped to shoot the bull with each other, but mainly people kept running the loop like the good old cruisin' days! Cops only hassled people doing burnouts or driving like idiots. I couldn't take the old trucks as I had a tractor project I needed to stay working on. I'm thinking they will do it again if the city doesn't put a stop to cruising again like they did in the late '70s.

DAC

The in thing to do when I was in high school was to cruise through town and then drive down into the park. The park had a circle walking trail/road that encircled 4 base ball fields in the center, then on the outside was a pool, horse shoe pit, pavalions, basket ball courts, tennis courts, ect.

This is a small town. Main street was 3 blocks long with 2 traffic lights. The buildings on either side were 2 to 5 stories tall. It was always fun if you car had a loud exhaust to redline it in 1st and let the sound echo up off the buildings. My trans am I had in high school would roar, let off the gas and it would cackle and pop all the way down through. I could only get one pass through doing that because after that the town cops would wake up and start patrolling.

When I got my WRX exhaust done me and the wife were in that town picking up some stuff. I went down through the main drag and roared through the block. My wife thought I was stupid, but it still made me smile thinking about all those friday and saturday nights spent riding around.

Now the kids & older kids want pickups with straight pipes. Nothing wrong with straight pipes if the driver uses his head when driving in town. Add that to the blasting loud stereos add up to noise and problems on some type.

Now the kids & older kids want pickups with straight pipes. Nothing wrong with straight pipes if the driver uses his head when driving in town. Add that to the blasting loud stereos add up to noise and problems on some type.

We were much the same in the late 90s. Trans am had headers, no cats, no resonators, short "turbo" mufflers, and big tips out the back. It would set off car alarms. It was tame under normal driving conditions.

My cruseing days were the mid 1960's. A 1958 Ford Fairlane 4dr. ht. with a 352 police interceptor engine (360HP) Fordamatic trans.

Our cruise circle was two routes from the Hill crest drive in south end of town about 2 miles to the north end of town at the A&W. second route was mid way thru town along the north side of the lake across the cause way at the west end and down the south side of the lake.

Lots of strip malls and shopping centers to gather in and shoot the bull and talk to the girls. North end of town was air port road where you could have to occanial drag race it wasn't built up so very few got caught.

That was Cadillac Michigan till the mid 1970's when gas prices stopped a lot of thre kids from the surrounding farms logging operations from crusing.

Now days it is a tourist town full of traffice in the summer. the old Platters dance hall is gone and putt putt golf go cart course and other tourist persuits are there.

Al

If I could auction off the contents of our (back then-1990) high school parking lot, I’d be a millionaire.
69 Mach 1
70 Mach 1
69 Roadrunner
69 Camaro
70 Chevelle
70 Nova SS
69 XR7
71 Demon
70 Cuda
67 Vette

Hehe...we were on the lower end of the scale...
I'm thinking of some in my HS parking lot ...
68 Rambler Rogue
64 Corvair
57 Chevy (4 door)
65 VW
Not exactly drag cars....

There were some good too! I Just remember some of the guys that had these these cars and they were God to them. Just happy to have wheels..I

Just having a little fun with topic.

We never had any really cool cars in our parking lot at high school. It was mostly hand me down sunfires, cavilers, civics, and beat up trucks.

Although high school for me was 98 to 2002.

The only cars that anyone drove to school that I wanted: A couple fox body mustangs, and a chevy celebrity eurosport. The celebrity was just cool to me. His grandmother bought the car brand new in the late 80s and never drove it much. I think it had around 25,000 miles on it! Black with the red trim.

There were not a lot of kids that drove to school any thing other than the farm truck because you were supposed to pick up a part from a welding shop, equipment dealer or a load of feed from the elevator.

The school prohibited students from driving to school so most all parked in the streets a block or so away from school.
there was a 57 Ford 90% bondo, a 57 Chevy with the whole right side nearly wiped out be cause the car was loaned and the driver speeding lost control in a curve and hit a tree.
A nother fellow had a what i thought cool 52 Dodge with a automatic trans you were required to use a clutch to put in drive and reverse.
One of my friends had a 52 Ford 4 door so rusted out a 2x4 went across the frame rails that held the front seet in place a rope tied around the door piller kept the drivers door shut.
We were all kids from struggleing country farms. the more aflunt town kids all walked to school even in the winter.

Al

Look at the school parking lots of this day and age. 90% were farm kids and drove a heck of a lot nicer vehicles than what their folks drove.

If you go over to the "rich" town you see mostly BMWs, Hondas, and a nice new domestic cars in the high school lot. My SIL drives a 2019 Honda Accord to school every day!

Go over to the district where I went to school and it's still mainly hand me downs and beat up stuff.

Port Huron Main street Meneroys for the end of July cancled here this week.
The letter said they may try to come up with some thing in the fall.
I am suprized we even got the letter since I had sent them notice we would not attend this year because we feel it is BS to prereguster then set in line for over a hour to get parked like every one else.

We had planed on doing the one in Lansing Mi this summer same week end instead. Haven't heard from them yet.

Al

Back