Badlands 5000# winch repairs

I took the winch back out of the box this morning. Studied things a bit. Gathered some things together.
DSCN4576.JPG DSCN4577.JPG DSCN4578.JPG

Marked the part and made a bend in it. Located the spot to rotate the plate and added some bushings.
DSCN4579.JPG

Figured out where I wanted the tension bars to be.
DSCN4580.JPG

Went down to the trailer and drilled holes. Got it mounted and ready to use.
DSCN4581.JPG DSCN4582.JPG

The only thing you have to watch out for is cutting it on something sharp. Just be mindful that you can't pull it across something like you can steel cable. The greatest benefit is if it breaks it just falls on the ground. And you can tie a knot in it and get back to work.

Looks good, kenny!! That was simpler than what I envisioned. Should work very well. I think you'll like it even with the rope preventing snarls when free spooling. I bought some of the HF kevlar rope to try on my 2k# winch on the wheeler. Didn't care for it much snowplowing as it wanted to pull down between the wraps and i sometimes couldn't get the plow to lower. It's all wrapped around the front rack in case a I need to make a reach longer than the cable.
Mike

I hadn't put the hook on the new rope so I went down yesterday to install it. Those springs are a bit strong as I had to pull a little back out. The thimble was a little too wide for the hook, but a hammer fixed that!

My old 2000#'s used to have a spring plate around the drum which acted as a tensioner, don't think the new 2500 I got has one.
Both of my Badlands winches have the stainless steel spring plate around the back side of the spool to keep tension on the cable while spooled.

What is the breaking point and how much stretch does the rope have? That would be my concern.

Like the tnesioner set up you came up with Kenny. If you can pull that plate back by hand your good to go.

The more stretch it has the better the chance it will pull down between the spooled rope before the other end starts to move. Then you have a real mess to deal with. I tried some of HF 900 lb rope for a tire swing for the granddaughter. 25' up it would drop about 10" with her one it and only weight 70 lbs. Hate to theik how much it would stretch pullling a dead tractor on a trailer with the back tires flat ! No thanks. I'll stick to steel cable, when the winch moves so does the other end.

We use 120v portable winches at work. Throw a bunch of sheave wheels in it and pull a bunch of weight. Nylon ropes were terrible. They stretched. They seemed to have a mind of their own when spooling back on. They hate water. Get it wet then it freezes into a block. Sun can bake it up.

Aside from the burrs from steel cables, I much prefer steel cables. Not much stretch, easier to control, and the abrasion resistance makes it first choice in my book.

Back