Ballast

Cvans

Tractorologist
Did some fabrication of a ballast frame and installed it on the JD2032. Trying to come up with a combination that will allow me to move snow without using the chains.
The weights are 35 lbs. pieces of 1" steel scrap. The local machine shop uses their flame cutter to make parts for another company and these are the drops. The first time I saw them laying there they looked like good weights that would be simple to hang. Purchase a bunch of them when the scrap prices were low and have never regretted it. Should have gotten more and probably will when prices go down.
There are 15 of them hanging there and with the bracket and it comes out to about 550 lbs. The frame slides into a 2" receiver on the bottom of the utility tool. Was able to get the frame painted today but the rest is going to wait until warmer weather as it's hard to paint with the doors open and 10 degrees outside. Think I'll cap off the ends of the open tubes at the same time as those open holes look kind of unfinished.
Used it to move some packed snow piles today and the tractor ride nice and was able to push into the piles without using differential lock or the 4x4. Looks like the Son in-law gets the chains.
:thumbs:

ay did Ballast 1.jpgballast 2.jpgballast 3.jpgballast 4.jpg

Thanks Daniel. I like that it's compact and the weights can be used for other applications in the summer. Too bad you don't live closer. Suppose I can use the postal flat rate packages to ship them to you? :rolleyes:
I'd still go broke getting them! Oh well, I have scrap steel, just not thick stuff. One of these days I'll build a weight box I can fill with bits of steel.

Wow what a great find looks nice and handy. I tried to paint some inside last week it worked out well until I realized I had a fire going on in the wood stove. I got the overhead garage door and man door open ASAP before I ended up through the roof. After I calmed down my first thought was what an idiot!

Got any railroad track near you? I hear that stuff is pretty heavy. :p
I actually have 2 cattle guards we built from rail track. No need for them now so I could pull them up and use them. Guess I have a good 120' total. Got them filled with gravel to prevent us from spraining an ankle crossing, but can easily pull them out of the gravel. Thanks Chris, you gave me a plan! Sometimes things are right in front of you and you look over it! I could also make a long shop anvil out of a piece of it

Hope it works out for you. After having this ballast on the Mitsubishi I can tell you it makes a huge difference.
Sometimes things are right in front of you and you look over it!
I hate to think how many times I've walked in those shoes. It's really disgusting when you go buy the stuff needed for a project and about half way through it you discover you already had everything. That really bites.

My rail is the small size.... maybe 6" tall??
I think 6" tall is a pretty hefty rail, Daniel! The tallest I have found around here is 5". I'm no railroader but do have a couple pieces of rail here. This weight was on my MF12G when I bought it back in 2011. 2 chunks of 5" tall rail welded on top one another.
DSCN3993.JPG

This piece is 3-1/2" tall. Makes a good doorstop.
DSCN3994.JPG

DAC

Looks like my rail is #8540 as it's 5 3/16 tall and wide. Got a total of 10 sections 15' long too! Likely be a while getting it pulled out as I'll have to take torch to cut the welds from the I-beam set in the concrete. But I definitely have needed ballast!!!
IMG_20211231_095609.jpg

Back