Barn Find J.D. 110

CRF6179

Goofologist
A guy here in town sold a pole barn and had to clear it out. This J.D. 110 was one of the occupants.
He offered it to me and I took it. The steering is pretty loose. The engine rolls over by hand but hooking up a battery
will only illuminate the generator light. Everything appears to be there. It needed a good pressure washing.

Attachments

• IMG_0314.JPG
    IMG_0314.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0315.JPG
    IMG_0315.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0316.JPG
    IMG_0316.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0317.JPG
    IMG_0317.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0318.JPG
    IMG_0318.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0319.JPG
    IMG_0319.JPG
    262.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0320.JPG
    IMG_0320.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0321.JPG
    IMG_0321.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0322.JPG
    IMG_0322.JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0323.JPG
    IMG_0323.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 11
More pics. 8 H.P. Kohler, 4 speed. serial number says it is a 1965 model year.

Attachments

• IMG_0324.JPG
    IMG_0324.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0325.JPG
    IMG_0325.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0326.JPG
    IMG_0326.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0327.JPG
    IMG_0327.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0328.JPG
    IMG_0328.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0331.JPG
    IMG_0331.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0332.JPG
    IMG_0332.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 9
Wow, what a find Rick! Tractors seem to hunt you down! You don't even have to look for them---LOL! Keep us posted on what is going on with it. I almost shoved my '68 110 in today but got too tired after chores. Gotta know if it will run!

DAC

Downloaded a wiring schematic for this model.
I'll be removing the hood, grill, gas tank, and battery tray.
Then start trouble shooting the circuits.
I'll have to find an air filter housing for the carb.

Did some investigating today. Seems as if it needs a new solenoid to start with. If I bypass the solenoid it will fire off on carb cleaner. Fix it, then check the V.R. and charging after it is running. The carb is in sad shape. May rebuild it, or replace it. I have three more new carbs but none are close enough. The local mower shop probably won’t have anything I need but I will give them a chance at it first.

Replaced the solenoid today and polarized the S/G. Engine turns over and has spark. Tried firing it off on carb cleaner and it kept spitting back through the carb. Pulled the head and found that the intake valve was intermittently sticking open. So I put some marvel mystery oil down both valves and let them soak While I decarboned everything. I also let the piston sit in a puddle of MMO. Hopefully it will unstick any sticky rings. Put it all back together and it fires up and runs on carb cleaner. Changed the oil and lubricated everything. Should have a new carb in tomorrows mail. Once it is running right I can check out the tranny and vari-drive, and brakes. Also make sure it is charging.

Whoever set this up for storage had completely drained the fuel system. The tank was the best shape I have ever dealt with on something sitting for so long. Reinstalled it with a new bowl filter/shut off and fuel line. Just need that new carb.

Replaced the solenoid today and polarized the S/G. Engine turns over and has spark. Tried firing it off on carb cleaner and it kept spitting back through the carb. Pulled the head and found that the intake valve was intermittently sticking open. So I put some marvel mystery oil down both valves and let them soak While I decarboned everything. I also let the piston sit in a puddle of MMO. Hopefully it will unstick any sticky rings. Put it all back together and it fires up and runs on carb cleaner. Changed the oil and lubricated everything. Should have a new carb in tomorrows mail. Once it is running right I can check out the tranny and vari-drive, and brakes. Also make sure it is charging.
Coming along nicely Rick. Why did you choose to buy a new carb vs rebuilding your old one. Did you buy an aftermarket carb.

Coming along nicely Rick. Why did you choose to buy a new carb vs rebuilding your old one. Did you buy an aftermarket carb.
The old carb was kinda crusty and hard to disassemble. The choke had to be unstuck with pliers as did the high speed needle. The throttle shaft is actually wobbly and had to be allowing a lot of extra air into the system. I had to put the carb in a vise and use a long handle 1/2" wrench to remove the bowl. Used a small punch and hammer to get the float attachment pin loose and out, This carb fought me on everything. It also does not have an adjustment for the low speed circuit. I'll clean it some, then bag and tag it for spare parts.
I ordered a new carb off of Amazon. China clone no doubt. I'll see if it is any good. It has both high and low speed adjustable circuits. The carb was supposed to be here today. (The 17th) It said free overnight delivery. Last I checked the tracking it says delivery on Tuesday. (The 20th)
I will be complaining.

Attachments

• IMG_0353.JPG
    IMG_0353.JPG
    303.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0357.JPG
    IMG_0357.JPG
    221.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0360.JPG
    IMG_0360.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0361.JPG
    IMG_0361.JPG
    241.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0362.JPG
    IMG_0362.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0363.JPG
    IMG_0363.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 6
  • znew carb.JPG
    znew carb.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 6
  • znew carb1.JPG
    znew carb1.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 9
The old carb was kinda crusty and hard to disassemble. The choke had to be unstuck with pliers as did the high speed needle. The throttle shaft is actually wobbly and had to be allowing a lot of extra air into the system. I had to put the carb in a vise and use a long handle 1/2" wrench to remove the bowl. Used a small punch and hammer to get the float attachment pin loose and out, This carb fought me on everything. It also does not have an adjustment for the low speed circuit. I'll clean it some, then bag and tag it for spare parts.
I ordered a new carb off of Amazon. China clone no doubt. I'll see if it is any good. It has both high and low speed adjustable circuits. The carb was supposed to be here today. (The 17th) It said free overnight delivery. Last I checked the tracking it says delivery on Tuesday. (The 20th)
I will be complaining.
Looks slightly better than mine, Rick but mine also has the loose throttle shaft even though neither that or the choke were locked up. I wentahead and ordered the same one. The air filter doesn't look right but I bet it will work on something I have. Think I have a new air filter that will fit anyway. It's supposed to be here Thursday.

DAC

I could probably have rebuilt this one and put a bushing in it for the throttle shaft.
But Ilike the idea of having two adjustable circuits.
Yeah but for 22 bucks plus tax it isn't worth the labor for me at least. Probably would break butterfly screws off and who know what else would not cooperate!

The one I took off did have both circuits. Low screw doesn't want to turn.

DAC

You guys done well sometimes it’s not worth effort especially not having both adjustable screws. The carb on my Cub 108 with the K301 carb body is in good shape no slop but the needle valves are worn and no low speed adjustment which is my problem. It just won’t idle well at all. Once I get the clutch worked out I’ll probably do the same as you all done.

I planned on having this running last Saturday. Delivery was supposed to have been no later than Saturday. When I checked the USPS tracking , it sat in an Amazon warehouse 91 miles away since Friday. I was hoping to get it going today.
The mail usually comes between noon and 1 P.M. It is pushing 4:00 and still not here. Of course the one day I'm waiting is the day they run late.
And now I need to get going.
Since today is Trail95's birthday, he, our younger brother , I and our spouses are going out to eat tonight. So I'm shooting for tomorrow to be driving this little J.D. around.

The carb was supposed to be here today. (The 17th) It said free overnight delivery. Last I checked the tracking it says delivery on Tuesday. (The 20th)
I will be complaining.
Did they say what overnight. :thumbs:

If it isn't too bad of a delay, I wouldn't do much complaining. Why? I've seen people end up not having a warranty honored due to some glitch or blame on the buyer all because of complaining.

Back