block heaters

TAHOE

Tractorologist
I use a Grasshopper Zero turn at church, it has a Kubota D722 3cyl diesel. It does not liek the cold, it will not start under 55-60*. I ran 2 good batteries down with a boost from my charger trying to get it started yesterday. I got to wonder about some type of block heater, what are your thoughts?
I have read about the magnetic heater ( most people say they are junk) and mat type heater that stick on oil pan. Then there are expansion plug type and also different type of in line cooling system heaters. I would like to keep it cheap as I will be buying it and it will only get started a couple, threes times a winter.

It doesn't have glow plugs? It should start with glow plugs down pretty cold. But the best block heater is the type that replace a freeze plug, and use an o-ring to seal. Not cheap at over $60 to $90 but do warm them fast. 30 minutes to an hour in bitter cold and they fire right up.

You are best off with a block heater. Easy to install and last for years. Looks like block heater may install on driver's side of block, trickiest part can sometimes be getting the frost plug out. Once out the block heater installs in a minute.
Won't start under 55-60 i think you have other issues, that mowing in the loincloth weather up here.:cool:

Last edited:
Yep, freeze plug style still is the most efficient. If you have sufficient access, drill a small hole in the plug near the edge.Screw a large sheet metal into it attached to a slide hammer. If that isn't possible, drill a hole in it large enough to insert a #3 philips screwdriver and pry it out. I've had some of the cup shaped ones where I've had to drive it on in and let it lay in the water jacket.
If it doesn't have or has non working glow plugs, some judicious use of starting fluid will probably get it started. Just remember too little starting fluid is much better than too much!!
Mike

It doesn't have glow plugs? It should start with glow plugs down pretty cold. .

yes it has glow plugs, it normally starts with only warming plugs about 15-20 secs. I can hear a ticking when using them, I figured that was them working or the metal expanding as they heat.
I did try a shot of starter fluid, it coughed and sputtered but would never start on it's on. We've owned it about 5 yrs, it's always been hard to start under 50* outside, but I could always get it to fire, seems it's getting worse though.

Is there a resistance test or something to check the glow plugs? maybe they all are not working?

Won't start under 55-60 i think you have other issues, that mowing in the loincloth weather up here.:cool:

yea maybe thats the issue, I'm wearing to many clothes :thumbs: Need to do last of year mow and clean up a few leaves,
I maybe hauling my Sears suburban out and doing it with that.

yes it has glow plugs, it normally starts with only warming plugs about 15-20 secs. I can hear a ticking when using them, I figured that was them working or the metal expanding as they heat.
I did try a shot of starter fluid, it coughed and sputtered but would never start on it's on. We've owned it about 5 yrs, it's always been hard to start under 50* outside, but I could always get it to fire, seems it's getting worse though.

Is there a resistance test or something to check the glow plugs? maybe they all are not working?

If the glow plugs are original they draw a lot of current out of the battery. The indicator is a voltage drop to lower the glow plug s to 6-8 volts. I got rid of all of that on my d600 Kubota CC and put in full 12 V glow plugs, powered through a heavy 30A relay. Helped considerable. Also the starter may be the original and turns it over to slow. I changed mine out to the new geared starter and it turn it twice as fast. Either change is not cheep but can do EACH for under $100 if you look around. Check on Only Cub Cadets forum and on the Kubota forum for all the info of the different heaters, etc. Most recommended is the lower radiator hose unit.

The freeze plug heater do work good. Some times it is a real problem to get to the freeze plug though. I picked up a lower radiator hose heater fo mine yesterday from NAPA. $34.95 - believe it is a KRT 16600 but not positive. Can put it on the back side of the engine so the heated water goes up. Mine still wouldn't start yesterday but it was down to 10 in the shed and the battery was low. Will probably start this afternoon.

Some times coming up with a soft plug heater that will work in these small diesels can be a real problem. The big issue is that there is not enough room behind the soft plugs for the element. This is an option that I came up with that seems to work good.
First thing is to purchase one of these Kats-11409-400-Watt-3/4-NPT.
s-l225.jpg
You will have to remove the soft plug your going to use and measure the diameter to determine the O.D. of the pipe coupling you purchase. Cast iron or steel both work fine. You'll want the outside diameter a little bigger than the inside diameter of the hole. With a lathe, grinder, file or drill press reduce the outside diameter of one end of the coupler until it is just a snug fit into the soft plug hole. You only want it to enter the hole far enough to be flush with the inside of the block. Now clean the coupler good and the inside of the soft plug hole with appropriate solvent and let dry. Mix some JB weld "not the quick cure type" and apply to the outside of the the coupler going into the hole and the inside of the hole. Insert the couple and support it until the JB weld is completely cured. Now screw the block heater into the other end of the coupler, refill the cooling system and you should be ready to go.
I've been using this system for several years now with good results. There are two advantages to this. Much lower wattage and it heats the engine faster than a lower radiator heater.
In the photos below the first two are of an installation in a Kubota Z620. The third is installed in a Kubota D950.
20190125_132909.jpg 20190125_132928.jpg20190125_132721.jpg

You do not have to pay so much for a Bota engine block. Measure your freeze plug do a engine block heater search on NAPA"s web site. They show several sizes, I believe the one I needed was like 35.00.
Easy to install, start by removing anti freeze from the system so you don't have to clean up a mess when finished (or kill any critters.). Once the antifreeze is down use a large flat drift on the top area of the freeze plug. the plug will tip side ways in the hole. Grap it with a large pair of channal locks or vice grips and pull it out.
Insert the heated plug and tighten the screw, add anti freeze and run to make sure there is no leaks

:D Al

The glow plugs should have a low ohm reading around 1-2 ohms. Open means it is bad.
I have to glow plug my d1105 below 60F. Common for a Kabota engine. Around -10F it take a lot of glow plug time to start.
The biggest problem is the drag on the starting engine from the hydro and hydraulic systems.
I have use those stick on pad heaters on the bottom of the oil pan and they do quite well for price and ease of installation.
Also Also be careful with starting fluid and glow plugs, they do not mix.

I am just wondering if you add anything to the fuel in the winter. All us diesel owners put winter additive in the fuel to boost the cetan and is has anti-gel in it. If the fuel gels, all the glow plugs in the world won't help. Fuel should not gel at 50 degrees but keeping an additive in it sure won't hurt.

We don't have #1 and #2 fuel. Come October only "winterized fuel" is available. I have not had fuel gel in 30 years,,,last time was Lake Station In. Added conditioner and let the truck idle for 10 hours while i went on pub crawl. In the morning the Motown Missile was purring. It was rare for our trucks to have fuel issues as we had tank heaters.

I am just wondering if you add anything to the fuel in the winter. All us diesel owners put winter additive in the fuel to boost the cetan and is has anti-gel in it. If the fuel gels, all the glow plugs in the world won't help. Fuel should not gel at 50 degrees but keeping an additive in it sure won't hurt.
We do not use any winter fuel or additive as we do not use but for mowing. I was trying to start this in Oct and temps were above 50*.

I may just put one of our sticky reptile heat pads to the oil pan if we need to start it in colder weather and see if it helps, those pads get to 105-110*.

I was reading manual recently, I think one thing I was doing wrong was I had throttle at idle, manual said to have at 1/2 when starting cold. We are getting a new battery soon so I will see what it does this spring.[/QUOTE]

Back