block heaters

Worked on the GH on Saturday morning, new battery, sharpened blades, greased everything and got it to fire up.
It was only 50* that morning, but it fired fairly easily. I think between the battery going bad and trying to start with throttle at idle, those were some of my issues.
Still need to change the oil and filter, but it can be used for mowing.....which will happen very soon

I put a stick on pad heater on my Satoh Diesel last fall, It was slow heating the motor up (3-4 hrs) but it started when it was 15 degrees out last winter. Also my tractor has about a 5 gallon fuel tank on it and I added a pint of Marvel Mystery oil to the fuel.
I'm sure it wouldn't have started without these helpers.

The pad heater is 150 watts 115 Volts

Funny thing about Diesels, I have a Ford 6.0 and it will start without touching the accelerator pedal, Also have a Cummings in a motor home and that needs 1/2 throttle and the Satoh has a sweet spot at about 1/3 throttle for starting. They all seem to be different.
My thought on the pad heaters is that with the bottom of the motor warm and heat Rising up under the pistons it helps the motor spin faster and with warm internals in the motor it helps with cold weather starting. For the $12 I spent on the heater on Epay I feel it was well worth it. With that said the best heaters I have used were the frost plug heaters and radiator hose heaters although sometimes they are difficult to find a spot to install them on a small motor.

Back