Bought a Case Ingersoll 446

Today I washed the area under the hydraulic tank thur the access opening below the steering wheel then proceeded to rewire the tractor got it going good got the neutral lever switch connected but not the PTO one need to find a new switch as old one is broke. then had no charging after a number of test finally figured out the rectifier voltage regulator was bad didn't have the type that was installed so I tried a B&S one and it worked so I installed it and its charging good tomorrow I'll install a voltmeter looked in the parts room and found an analog aircraft one that mount vis screws thur the instrument flange

Hi, well I've been working a little on the 446 everyday have mowing to do and with this heat and humidity a couple of hours in the shop and I'm ringing wet but its progressing have the fuel system working as it should rewired it as the wiring was butchered and some of it seemed to just go in circles its working now did get the motion lever neutral switch on line again also had to repalce the rectifier voltage regulator didn't have a Case or Onan type so I tried a B&S and its working good, got it greased and the brake adjusted so it stops now when you step on the brake pedal,

The Case is coming along nicely had to replace a missing engine mount rubber biscuit and another mount bolt had no nut on it changed gear lube in the trans-axle got the hood reinstalled its tweaked / twisted to the right and am having a time trying to get it to close and stay its better but I'd like better if I decide to keep the tractor may look into buying a straight hood need a LH foot rest also at some time it was removed. The Onan is running very nice (I'm not an Onan fan at all but one is good) Today I got the deck into the shop after power washing off about 2 inches of oil grease and mud it looks to me that when ever to oil was changed it was just run on the deck and left, removed the blades was pleased to find they are just like new some surface rust that cleaqned up nicely with a wire brush on the angle grinder then sharpened them they had never been sparpened and were in good shape. Turned the deck over and worked on the hitch / mule drive got it back in good shape and got the deck under the tractor and installed tomorrow I'll install the drive belt and will see how it runs

Attachments

• HPIM1293.JPG
    HPIM1293.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 12
  • HPIM1294.JPG
    HPIM1294.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 12
  • HPIM1295.JPG
    HPIM1295.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 13
  • HPIM1282.JPG
    HPIM1282.JPG
    318.8 KB · Views: 12
Well I got the mule drive belt installed started the tractor engaged the clutch and belts moved pulleys were spinning so I thought I'd give it a try mowing went about 50 feet and the deck belt came off got it reinstalled tried it again got about 60 ft same story so back to the shop to check things out. Mowed around the shop with my trusty Suburban got finished and checked the Case deck found the RH spindle pulley was wobbling on the shaft got the pulley off and it it egg shaped the spindle shaft is badly worn to the point that the key way slot is all but gone. Removed the deck checked the other spindles and the LH spindle pulley is loose got both spindles removed from the deck and dissembled the LH spindle shaft is good so just need a pulley for it will order new bearings and will see if my friend can made me a new spindle shaft then its to find a couple of pulleys

Well I got the mule drive belt installed started the tractor engaged the clutch and belts moved pulleys were spinning so I thought I'd give it a try mowing went about 50 feet and the deck belt came off got it reinstalled tried it again got about 60 ft same story so back to the shop to check things out. Mowed around the shop with my trusty Suburban got finished and checked the Case deck found the RH spindle pulley was wobbling on the shaft got the pulley off and it it egg shaped the spindle shaft is badly worn to the point that the key way slot is all but gone. Removed the deck checked the other spindles and the LH spindle pulley is loose got both spindles removed from the deck and dissembled the LH spindle shaft is good so just need a pulley for it will order new bearings and will see if my friend can made me a new spindle shaft then its to find a couple of pulleys
Does this look like the pulley?
Case Pulleys

How do you like the hydraulic drive?
Hi Cat385B, its ok personally I prefer hydrostatic both of the Case's I've had seems like you have very little speed control its either creep or go but its reliable

Hi Cat385B, its ok personally I prefer hydrostatic both of the Case's I've had seems like you have very little speed control its either creep or go but its reliable

On the 446 there is a linkage that goes to the speed control valve that gets worn and that limits your control of the speed.
It goes from the bottom of the speed control lever and is located behind the removable panel under the steering wheel and goes directly to the valve under the floorboard.
A small amount of play makes a huge difference on these machines.

On the 446 there is a linkage that goes to the speed control valve that gets worn and that limits your control of the speed.
It goes from the bottom of the speed control lever and is located behind the removable panel under the steering wheel and goes directly to the valve under the floorboard.
A small amount of play makes a huge difference on these machines.
Thanks Arti I'll look and see what I find it make sense what your saying, do you know what gets worn is it the bolts or?

Last edited:
This morning we went for breakfast then stopped into the Fleet Farm store checked on cast iron pulleys just to get a price idea well I might as well order the OEM Case pulleys price is about the same and they will be right, also picked up 2 gallons of 80-90wt gear oil on sale price was $21.99 last week I bought 3 QTs at the local NAPA store for $22.65 I knew it was to much but wanted to get the transaxle drained and new gear lube in it.

This morning we went for breakfast then stopped into the Fleet Farm store checked on cast iron pulleys just to get a price idea well I might as well order the OEM Case pulleys price is about the same and they will be right, also picked up 2 gallons of 80-90wt gear oil on sale price was $21.99 last week I bought 3 QTs at the local NAPA store for $22.65 I knew it was to much but wanted to get the transaxle drained and new gear lube in it.
I get a lot of spindles and blades from those folks. Usually fast service and reliable parts. They do not tell you when something ships, though. But most things I get within a few days!

Thanks Arti I'll look and see what I find it make sense what your saying, do you know what gets worn is it the bolts or?

The rod has a 90 degree bend on one end that gets a lot of play in it also the connection to the valve gets some play in it, A little here and there and it all adds up, Sort of like a control valve for a hydraulic spool valve , they all seem to get some loose joints with age.

As I get older it seems like all my joints are stiffing up !!!

Talked to my friend and he's going to make me a new spindle shaft for the deck then its to get a couple of pulleys and reassemble it, this morning got the headlights wired and they both work installed a US Flag on the dash because I have flags on most all of my machines and to cover up my boo boo was cleaning the dash decal with some lacquer thinner first pas was good really made the decal look good second not so good took the black paint off lucky I was paying attention and only had a small area that the flag covered looks good now. Hotter than hot here with humidity

Last edited:
Well this morning while I was in town buying a mule drive belt for the PK 1620 my brother dropped off a couple of Simplicity deck pulley the shaft size was the same diameter slightly smaller thought I had saved some money then got to looking again and wouldn't you know the Simplicity pulleys are for "B" section belts and the Case uses "A" belts so I ordered 2 new pulleys and keys for the Case from Salem Power Equipment cost with shipping & tax was/is $71.62

Hi, got the pulleys and keys from Salem Power good service, awaiting my friend to make me a new spindle shaft then I can reassemble the deck checked the bearings all are good got new belts touched up the paint did a quick job but it looks a lot better it had been repaint and the paint must have been really cheap it had faded to a pink look. The grass has really been growing the last couple of weeks so I've had plenty to keep me busy

Hi Chris we got 1.5" today but I really like the cool down right now its 63*F and that is nice, yes generally I mow once a week but that wasn't enough lately

Back