Bought a Case Ingersoll 446

Hi, got the new spindle shaft last night so this morning got the deck reassembled with the new shaft and 2 outer drive pulley's and new belts, got the deck attached to the tractor got the mule drive belt installed and run the tractor for a test run deck was running smooth and quite so I tried mowing found the PTO clutch would disengage after about a minute (the Case has a manual clutch) so I attached a bungee to the lever and mowed for 1.4 hours it does a good job mowing but is much slower than my Suburban with which I can mow the same area in 1 hour. The Onan ran good with plenty of power and no noticeable oil usage but a pesty oil leak became appearent so will have to check that out and will have to adjust the clutch all in all its working
HPIM1304.JPGHPIM1306.JPGHPIM1307.JPG

Last edited:
Thought I would adjust the PTO clutch this afternoon well as so often happens with this old tractor someone had worked on it and reassembled it wrong really wrong so now I'm sorting that out trying to see if I'm still missing parts or if there installed somewhere in the wrong position guess I'll learn tomorrow> Have been watching a very good video of how to assemble and adjust the Case EZ adjust clutch the fellow goes by Hemlock Case Guy has a number of good videos for working on Case Gt's

Got the clutch apart checked it over found it had a washer in the wrong location and the spacer was not installed at all along with the cupped washers in the wrong location got it bat together and have been working on getting it adjusted right, it seems to be really sensitive to adjust thought I had it toke it out and did a test run but it released a couple og time then stayed for a longer time so I'm still working on adjusting it but making porgress I think, got it adjusted as close as it can be did a test run and it released once but then held good so real test will be when its time to mow again

Last edited:
This morning I checked the clutch linkage etc over and found that when it was assembled wrong the engagement lever must have been pushed foward very hard to try and make it engage / stay engaged so the clutch fork was bent got it straightened and n ow it snaps in and out ran it out and gave it a test run and its good to good.

Hi yesterday I was just doing little things on the 446 like worked on the hood got some of the dents and bends out straightened the hinge had to use the smoke tool but it came around the hinge pin is a 1/4" rod about 12" long originally it was drilled in the middle and a cotter pin was usaed to keep it in place well it broke at the hole so I gas welded it and just installed it it go for now. I was having a time finding the engine oil drain plug at first I thought it was the pipe plug on the right rear of the pan at the engine mt and it looked bad it was a square internal type plug that someone must have used a long breaker bar on it is broken out on 2 sides was thinking how could I get it lose really not enough sticking out to get a grip on with a pipe wrench was thinking of drilling and tapping for 3/8" pipe but then when down looking with a flash light I discovered a drain plug on the side of the pan that put a smile on and was a relief. It has a oil leak not serious but any oil makes a mess and I can't see where its coming from may be the crankshaft seal may be the hyd pump or I'm wondering if its the crank bearing cover. a picture of the broken plug that's were the oil runs down I think someone tightened the plug to stop the leak but that's not were the oil is coming from
HPIM1308.JPGHPIM1309.JPG

Those square socket pipe plugs can be a pain when they are recessed. Had to make a special tool to remove one from an Olds engine.
Yes especially when they are broken lucky for me it doesn't have to come out but some people can screwup the square extended ones also have seen them rounded and beat up like the old saying some guys can ruin an anvil with a rubber hammer

Have not done much with the Case as I've been busy mowing and using the Earthcavator behind the Power King to get the driveway in shape did order a LH step it was missing and the fellow that I got the Case from thought it was around his place but he can't find it now so it is suppose to come tomorrow then I'll try fabricating a belt cover for the decks LH side and by Tuesday or Wednesday it will be time to mow again around the shop so will see how that goes. I did fabricate a new travel control link that is between the motion control lever and the control valve that will be a fall winter job. I was able to make use of some of the left over parts from the helicopter maintenance days

HPIM1687.JPGHPIM1688.JPGHPIM1689.JPG

Hi the left step came today so I got it installed and its good nice to have the step also fabricated a deck belt/pulley cover got it done and installed kooks good so the Case is now ready for another mowing secession that will tell if its good to good or needs more tweaking

HPIM1310.JPGHPIM1312.JPGHPIM1313.JPGHPIM1314.JPG

What would make the difference in mowing times Gary, between the Case and Suburban. Different size deck, slower tractor ?

Noel

What would make the difference in mowing times Gary, between the Case and Suburban. Different size deck, slower tractor ?

Noel
Hi Noel both decks are 48 inch so its the speed the Suburban is manual transmission and I mow in 2nd hi with it it its a bit fast but mows good the Case is Hydraulic drive and not as fast probably about right maybe a bit slow (it could be a bit slow because of wear in the motion control link) if I keep the Case I'll replace the link this winter with the one I made up last week. Tomorrow its time to mow at the shop again so will give the Case a try again. So maybe should atart a poll will GB keep the Case or sell it

I was cruising thur CL Friday and saw an add for a Cozy Cab off a John Deere 112 price was good so I called right away he wasn't home at the time but could meet me at 3 a clock so got the trailer hitched and off to the meeting went to his place looked at it the glass was all in place doors were good and said yes so now its in my shop. Was hoping it could be installed on the Case 446 but now I'm not so sure anyway if I can't make it fit will put it on CL in Nov - Dec

HPIM1315.JPGHPIM1316.JPG

Back