Cast iron Kohler question

I know, I know. Everyone says to leave em out...
But just for curiosity does anyone know a common bearing industry part number for the needle bearings used for the grenade gears?
At the moment my asking is about a k301 out of a cub 129 that I have apart
I left them out of the K321 I rebuilt and I kind of wish now that I had rebuilt the grenade gears too. That engine, even on rubber mounts is a shaker at lower RPM's. Smooths out at operating RPM's.

DAC

When I did my 1st K321 I left them out, I found the same as Doug at idle to about 2500 R's its got vibration (not horrible but noticeable;e) over 2500 it smooths out and you can't tell the difference Can't help you with a generic PN for the bearings poncho62.

I was debating on seeing if Kirk still had his add on weights for the crank counter weights but all I could find on him was where his ignition parts like the points saver etc are no longer available. Didn't dig enough to find those plates.
I looked also and didn't find the CS balance kit he use to offer, kind of surprised me I was thinking that's the way I'd go if I did another K series engine

I'm finally getting back to this engine project. Its collected dust long enough. Ive had the machine work done for about 6 months now...
according to "I save tractors" the old one is 0.6825 to 0.6828". These are 0.686". I've seen the "old style" anywhere between $46-79 EACH. The newer style is listed around $20-30 ea. Several places. I Drove them out, I have 2 different sets (teeth are different between them) but the numbers on both sets I have are the same. Hard to see, had to zoom my phone to "5x" to decipher them. They say Torrington B-88. I can find a pair of "those", on Ebay, a few different brands, USA MADE even, for around $5/ea. There's a seller with a lot of 5 for $15. A whole lot better than "Kohler's prices".
which was why I was asking for alternative numbers (hint; Kohler outsourced these even way back then. They didn't "make" them in house)
these are the same exact parts as Kohler repackaged. hope this helps others around here. Bought the 5, $12.71 for the lot. $3.95/ ship, plus a little tax, comes to $17 and change.... enough for a couple of engines.

Just like I have left the grenade gears out of every Kohler I have been inside of before now, I also have never replaced crank bearings on one during a rebuild either. I was looking around on Feebay again, and found a set (again a well known name brand) of the crank bearings at a price I figure too cheap "not" to/ while I'm in there. My old ones out of that engine, feel fine when I spin them, but this engine is also 52 years old now.
I have 2 of them bearings coming for $30.... I have 10x that just in machine work on this motor, which seems like a whole lot more than the last few "like" engines I have done... I have the reciept on either the last one or next to last, have to look for it to compare.... the last couple were also each a couple years prior to each other..... I know that about 10 years ago I did an M12 and after buying all NOS parts I had $500 into that one when done.... $500 into a cast iron K series when all said and done does seem a common theme.... this one's gonna wind up a little more than that.
I have tried plain "white box" connecting rods in this one and the last one I did also for teh first time. .... a K321 that has been done a couple years now and do far never fired. Redid the original engine on another of my machines, that I stuck "something else" on just to get it mobile while I redid the original engine. and that "someting else" is still doing the job. That 321 took a 20-under rod, also a first for me.

This engine is from my Cub 129.... small base plate, so I had to rebuild "this" engine for that machine, wish that wide base 321 would fit a Cub.

Back