CC/MTD 2166

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
Brought this home yesterday! Owner got it a bit warm shall we say. Very nice looking machine for a late 90's model!
DSCN0303.JPG DSCN0304.JPG DSCN0305.JPG DSCN0306.JPG

Here's the carnage:
DSCN0307.JPG DSCN0308.JPG

Only has 389 hrs on it:
DSCN0309.JPG

Pulled the solenoid and carb bowl. As I suspected, the solenoid was toast and full of crap. Along with the carb bowl having crap in it.
DSCN0310.JPG

Caught this as I cranked the engine over:
DSCN0311.JPG

This was in the solenoid:
DSCN0312.JPG

Snipped the end off the solenoid and cleaned the bowl out. Took a bit to get the carb filled back up, but it ran on it's own.

That’s weird a lot of those shaft drive Cubs almost free around here. You can also see them sitting as scrap in yards or fields. I’ve been curious about why so many of these have so many problems. They look like they are built well.

Not sure I'm following Kenny.
Melted cause the engine got hot or caught fire.?
Sure looks like a fire....
HI Kenny I understand the heat part but what was the cause of the heat was it like the Russian ship did a cigarette get dropped into the bowls :p
The owner caught it on fire using ether to try to start it.

Good score, Kenny, but dang it really melted some stuff! Never seen a plastic blower housing before. Didn't hurt any plastic fins on the flywheel?

At work we have a mostly worn out Lincoln electric grease gun that once a month there are 128 zirks outside to grease. will go through 3 or 4 tubes of grease, and the damm thing gets so slick it's hard to hang onto. A couple weeks ago I was cleaning it with brake cleaner after installing an new tube and bumped the switch when I was flipping it over. Instant fire! I had a quick thought about letting the old thing burn but smothered it with some grease rags instead. It still worked fine after that---LOL!

DAC

Good score, Kenny, but dang it really melted some stuff! Never seen a plastic blower housing before. Didn't hurt any plastic fins on the flywheel?

At work we have a mostly worn out Lincoln electric grease gun that once a month there are 128 zirks outside to grease. will go through 3 or 4 tubes of grease, and the damm thing gets so slick it's hard to hang onto. A couple weeks ago I was cleaning it with brake cleaner after installing an new tube and bumped the switch when I was flipping it over. Instant fire! I had a quick thought about letting the old thing burn but smothered it with some grease rags instead. It still worked fine after that---LOL!

DAC
I think a couple fins are melted. Got a new one coming anyways. Sure throwed a bunch of crud out of there when it fired off.

DAC
Lol....nothing like extinguishing a fire with " old grease rags"... :p

My rant is for the vendors out there that give a good price so you buy. Then they come back with 'It's not in stock. Shipping will be delayed!' Stupid and I seldom go back to those folks.

My rant is for the vendors out there that give a good price so you buy. Then they come back with 'It's not in stock. Shipping will be delayed!' Stupid and I seldom go back to those folks.
What I like is the phrase now it’s not in stock but they suggest paying now to lock in a price…yeah right. What I’m finding out lately prices can vary within days of talking to somebody or having items in a cart. I’ve been on the phone the past two days with three vendors plus my items online for Carol’s clothes dryer. I’ve always told folks on the phone to pull the part and I’ll be there later. Now it’s like they decide they want to add their lunch money. I don’t want to hack your thread Kenny but I’ll post my dilemma when it settles down later on another thread.

I have one order out from last April that is still not shipped. Need to cancel that one. Just wish the order page would check inventory so you know up front it's backordered. I checked several other sites and they state up front it's not in stock.

Back