Coal Miner's Daughter

Loretta has gotten herself in a bit of trouble with the current "country music" producers this week! She was never afraid to speak or write her mind and she has done it again. Saw her post about it on facebook but for folks that want to read it, here is People magazine's version.

I have to agree, that there should be standards to preserve country music, but money dictates the "crossover" trend and the lines between genre's are blurred so much any difference is nearly gone. I think there is a certain amount of "political correctness" involved with current marketing too so it appeals more to the folks that listen to pop, soul, hip hop and the like.

DAC

Loretta has gotten herself in a bit of trouble with the current "country music" producers this week! She was never afraid to speak or write her mind and she has done it again. Saw her post about it on facebook but for folks that want to read it, here is People magazine's version.

I have to agree, that there should be standards to preserve country music, but money dictates the "crossover" trend and the lines between genre's are blurred so much any difference is nearly gone. I think there is a certain amount of "political correctness" involved with current marketing too so it appeals more to the folks that listen to pop, soul, hip hop and the like.

DAC
Some of the crossover singer are driven by $$$. They see a chance to make a few more on the coutry side so they make their song sound a bit like country and call it "New Country". I think that sucks and don't listen to it. If I want country I want pure country and no new country, pop, hip hop or anything else.

What do you guys consider country?

Growing up my mom always listened to 98.7 in the ohio valley. Even in the late 80s early 90s a lot of country songs had a rock or pop undertone. Do we need to go back earlier?

Most songs were a lot different than Loretta Lynn's style. My grandmother loved the grand ole Opry stuff. And that steel guitar country music. She was not a fan of country on the 90s at all. She was quite a musician herself and even ragged on how new country played. Real work into the music. She called it lazy.

Music evolves like everything else. Even considering pop music today is a lot different to what was on the radio 20 years ago.

Last edited:
Music evolves like everything else. Even considering pop music today is a lot different to what was on the radio 20 years ago.
I could tolerate pop even 10 years ago, can't stand it now. I can and do occasionally listen to pre 80s country, I'm just partial to 80s and 90s country as that was what I grew up with.

True Country is the Grand Ol Oprey like it was on WSM radio before TV was popular. Lot of the Saturday night shows on RFD are country as they go back to the 50's era. Artist like Marvin Rainwater, Little Jimmy Dickens, Ernest Tubb, Farren Young, Box Car Willy, and many others. That is the Country music I listen to.

True Country is the Grand Ol Oprey like it was on WSM radio before TV was popular. Lot of the Saturday night shows on RFD are country as they go back to the 50's era. Artist like Marvin Rainwater, Little Jimmy Dickens, Ernest Tubb, Farren Young, Box Car Willy, and many others. That is the Country music I listen to.

That was my grandmother's era of music.

I gotta confess---I stream WSM on the comuper sometimes. Normally they are country punk, country hip hop country pop, like all mainstream stations, but now and then they have a "throwback" show like a throwback Thursday.

I still dig the different sounds of older genre's, 50's 60's and some 70's rock. The southern rock movement of the 70's was awesome and did sway how country was done. Nowadays Lynyrd Skynyrd seems to be more country than many new acts---to me anyway! So many of today's "country" songs have a very broken and awkward key range which confuses my ears. Synthesizers often replace actual musicians. I've even tried to stream the "Americana" movement and there's a lot of good stuff there but lots of stuff that makes me think WTF? I was born a generation late!

No real way to describe it for me Aaron, but Loretta said it's supposed to come from the heart, and a lot now is shallow and designed to sell and the masses buy it. I've never been real big on evolution I guess---LOL!

DAC

Not sure how I missed this thread.

I grew up in the Nashville area, and I knew her sister Denise pretty well. In the Coal Miner's Daughter movie there is a sister they called baby. Denise did not want her name used in the movie. I never got to meet the famous sisters, but I used to get to go to Opryland on Loretta Lynn's pass quite often.

I did know Garth Brooks when he worked at CowTown Boots in Rivergate. Nice guy.

Not sure how I missed this thread.

I grew up in the Nashville area, and I knew her sister Denise pretty well. In the Coal Miner's Daughter movie there is a sister they called baby. Denise did not want her name used in the movie. I never got to meet the famous sisters, but I used to get to go to Opryland on Loretta Lynn's pass quite often.

I did know Garth Brooks when he worked at CowTown Boots in Rivergate. Nice guy.
That's pretty cool Willie! I can't remember right off hand how many kids were in that family but it seems like there was a "passel" of 'em! Is "CowTown Boots" a store or a boot manufacturer? There's a guy that blew everybody away on the music scene for quite a while!

DAC

That's pretty cool Willie! I can't remember right off hand how many kids were in that family but it seems like there was a "passel" of 'em! Is "CowTown Boots" a store or a boot manufacturer? There's a guy that blew everybody away on the music scene for quite a while!

DAC
Cowtown boots was a boot store.

My dad owned a burglar alarm company and we were installing an alarm in the building while they were setting up and hiring employees. A guy walked in in the whole cowboy get up - boots, jeans, wrangler snap, shirt, big hat - to put in an application. While he waited he was talking to us. He said he came from Oklahoma ( I may be wrong on that) to Nashville to be a country music star. My dad told him he thought he might make it. Guess he did.

I also got to go in Barbara Mandrell's house when we worked on her gates, and I met her. She is a tiny little woman.

There were several other stars I got to meet.

I would have liked to meet Johnny Cash but never got to.

Cowtown boots was a boot store.

My dad owned a burglar alarm company and we were installing an alarm in the building while they were setting up and hiring employees. A guy walked in in the whole cowboy get up - boots, jeans, wrangler snap, shirt, big hat - to put in an application. While he waited he was talking to us. He said he came from Oklahoma ( I may be wrong on that) to Nashville to be a country music star. My dad told him he thought he might make it. Guess he did.

I also got to go in Barbara Mandrell's house when we worked on her gates, and I met her. She is a tiny little woman.

There were several other stars I got to meet.

I would have liked to meet Johnny Cash but never got to.

I'm pretty sure Oklahoma is right on Brooks home. Your Dad should have bought stock in him right then and there---LOL!

I remember Barbara Mandrell's variety TV show. Both of her sisters were on it too. She was a super talent that could play any musical instrument with strings or keys, much less sing and write!

"Coal Miner's Daughter" played tonight on my Ipod, and she sang right there in the song that there were 8 kids in the family---same as my Mom's gold miner family had! None of them got rich though---LOL!

Mom had these Cash 45's in her stuff when we were cleaning her apartment. Looks like someone spelled one wrong!

DAC

Johnny Cash Sun 45s 002.jpg

Back