Converted the Mechanical VR to an Electronic unit

MNGB

Tractorologist
On my 58 Country Squire I've had the feeling that the old mechanical voltage regulator for the starter/generator was not working 100% the Ammeter needle would jiggle and at higher engine R's it seemed to stop charging. So I decided to install an electronic generator control / VR I've used these on another B&S with a starter/gen and they work great. Its made for Harley Davidson motorcycles PN is 74504-87, you have to cut the HD 3 prong connector off ( couldn't find one anywhere) an used insulated slip connectors made a mounting bracket to mt it to the side of the trans as I didn't want to fight with the hood at this time will in the fall. Mounted it connected the wires started the engine and happy days it was charging 15 amps on start up dropped back to 5/6 after a less than a minute had 14.6 VDC pull the lights on and the amps went up some and held its a keeper

HPIM1479.JPGHPIM1480.JPGHPIM1481.JPGHPIM1482.JPGHPIM1484.JPGHPIM1486.JPGHPIM1489.JPG

Well that’s neat Gary. How did you come across that idea.

Noel
Noel, I converted my airplane to an electronic generator controller and it worked so well I just started searching for tractor Delco Remy generators and this is what I finally found this one and am very happy with how it works

Very cool invention, Gary! If you trust that style of controller in an airplane that can fall out of the sky, I would say it's good to go on any application!

I gotta ask what the AA batteries are for though?

DAC

Very cool invention, Gary! If you trust that style of controller in an airplane that can fall out of the sky, I would say it's good to go on any application!

I gotta ask what the AA batteries are for though?

DAC
Hi Doug they power the digital tach those things have a non replaceable battery in them and after a few years it goes dead and the tach is useless so I removed that back cover removed the dead battery soldered wires to the leads of the AA battery holder and I have a useful tach/hr meter again

Hi Noel its like the one linked you can kind of see it in pic 5 these work on B&S and Tecumseh but not Kohler's

Amazing what they can make for the price of it. I bought one 15 years ago to put on the LGT 165 Ford tractor, different brand, but basically the same functions for over $100.00 Canadian. It’s installed on a kohler. Why won’t that one work on a kohler Gary.

Noel

Last edited:
Amazing what they can make for the price of it. I bought one 15 years ago to put on the LGT 165 Ford tractor, different brand, but basically the same functions for over $100.00 Canadian. It’s installed on a kohler. Way won’t that one work on a kohler Gary.

Noel
The Kohler ignition system emits so much EMF that drives these cheap tachs crazy the B&S with a magneto with the coil farther away is ok, they do work ok on the Kohlers with the breakerless / solid state ignition

Heck yeah, Gary, good way to re-use a "disposeable" tach! Much better than throwing it in the garbage!

DAC

I was guessing EMF meant something like emitted microwave frequency---LOL! Over my head too but kind of understood what you meant Gary.

DAC
Microwaves are under the umbrella its a lot of excess transmitted electric energy that mess's with checp digital meters , tachs and Voltmeters etc

Back