Cub Cadet LT 1050

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
I got this tractor back in the summer last year from my daughters neighbor. He knows I like tractors and said if I don’t want it he’s going to scrap it. After putting new coils, fuel pump, plugs, and a fuel filter in it he couldn’t get it to start. I’m not a fan of the newer tractors but it was free.

First off it barely turned over. I took the starter off and it was burned up. I installed a new one and like he said no start. First thing I seen was no gas in the filter. I pulled the line off and shot a blast of air through the hose into the tank. Gas is flowing to the filter now and it started right up.

I really like this thing the PO said he bought it new 8 years ago from CC but it’s got the dreaded Kohler Courage 23hp engine. It runs smooth, the 50” deck cuts well, rides smooth and steers almost as good as Rogers power steering. :D I used it all summer until Fall it got to where it didn’t want to start again so I just covered it up and parked it.

I got it back out a couple weeks ago and same thing good spark, getting gas but no start but an occasional spitting. It also turns over like it’s dragging. I didn’t know when I bought a starter last year that Kohler up graded their starters for these because of past problems. They don’t recommend replacing with an aftermarket which is what I done.

I checked the valves and all four were different. I gapped them several times according to the manual and what others were doing on YouTube but an occasional start but not every time. I found a guy that mentioned to disregard what Kohler says and gap them .004 intake and .006 exhaust. I couldn’t believe it this thing fired right up with no starter drag and ran well. All day long I started it several times with no failure. I did notice a few times a little drag but by turning the flywheel a little by hand to a different spot it starts. If this works out I might go ahead and buy a Kohler starter even though they are twice what I paid for the aftermarket one.

I pulled the monster deck out today and cleaned it up and sharpened the blades. Another thing I noticed it’s got foam filled tires. I like these.
A5C7BB63-9184-4EE8-8739-8DE10577EE59.jpegC800A14B-9C3E-4E8F-8B73-3FE34220F46C.jpeg63EFF6C3-8DEF-4B13-ADFD-C54C9AEB4375.jpeg1CF65396-4AF8-4597-A7EB-2432D0547DA8.jpeg5240AEA7-5ED8-4354-AC28-4FF078D48F3F.jpeg

Last edited:
Guys I was wrong on the date I’m not sure what year it was made. The PO told me he bought it new from CC 8 years ago.

Roger it is a nice tractor but the Courage engine has its problems and has a bad reputation. I’ve only got about $50. invested in it so I’ve already done well. I asked the PO if I fixed it did he want it back and he said no way he didn’t even want to know what the problem was.

I thought the newer Kohler twins all had hydraulic lifters? I know the Command does.
I did also Kenny I had a Courage singlr a few years ago didn't have any problems with it must have gotten one of the few but I put an oil pressure gauge on it and when warmed up running it had such low pressure I was concerned called the dealer talked to the mechanic he told not to worry it had hydraulic lifters and if the oil pressure was to low it won't run, so I removed the gauge and installed a light and that worked sold it with about 225 hrs on it

I got the mouse mess cleaned up the other day it wasn’t near as bad as before. The solenoid shows 12 bolts to the starter but no spin. I just bought this after market starter a little over a year ago. I took it apart to find out the brushes are bad. I searched for the proper size brushes last night but didn’t find any. It has a couple of numbers stamped on the housing, since it’s probably China made I may be fighting a lost cause. It’s still listed on Amazon so I’m going to try and contact the seller to see if they can help.
29F69DEF-4640-44B8-947F-1CFF9DE193EA.jpeg5AE8F4EA-5A38-4FEA-9BD2-3F944C3C6C63.jpeg

Good news, I contacted the seller through Amazon this morning asking if brushes were available to order. I got a real nice text message from them this afternoon saying the brushes aren’t available but they refunded my whole amount to my bank and it should show up in 2-3 days. I was really surprised to hear this. Their warranty is the usual 90 days but I ordered this in May 2021.

Somehow I missed this thread, Jim! I knew you had this tractor, but never saw this. That was good of that seller to do a refund past the 90 day warranty! Nice looking tractor. Hope you can find the starter you need without breaking the bank!

DAC

Well this LT sit all year last year until the other day. I done some research back in the winter and found that Kohler made three starters for this tractor and others trying to remedy the dragging problem. The first was not strong enough and parts never held up. The second had a couple of improvements but also never held up. What they call the third generation starter was totally redesigned but is costly. Last year Cub Cadet was selling these for around $230. Now the more reputable parts houses have them for $120.- $180. I ordered one a few days ago and was really happy to see it was what I needed. I found out that some parts houses are selling the 2nd generation starter as a “New and Improved heavy duty “ starter at around $50. The best way to identify the 3rd gen starter is instead of having 10 teeth on the pinion they have 9. and they are shorter.

I had to do some cleaning, darn mice. At least this time no chewed wires like the other time I had to rewire some of it.
IMG_9919.jpegIMG_9920.jpegIMG_9921.jpegIMG_9922.jpeg

I got the starter installed today and was concerned about the gas. It’s been almost two years since this ran. I started draining the gas but noticed it was really clear and no bad smell. I know it had Sea Foam that was added as I do all my equipment at the end of the year because I never drain the carbs or tanks for storage. My curiosity was killing me. I stopped draining the gas and hooked it back up. The gas was flowing very slow which has always been a problem or not flowing at all because of the tank clogging up. I shot a blast of air up through the hose to the tank and it started flowing again. Now new starter, filter full of gas I’m ready to go. I’ve never seen this engine spin that fast, starter engaged and after about five seconds it started! I let it run with about a quarter choke then it was ready for no choke. I let it warm up then shut it off. I turned the key and an instant start right away. I pulled it out of the shop and everything works as it should. I done this three more times then later no gas in the filter again.
IMG_9929.jpegIMG_9941.jpeg

I’m so happy with this now. It’s going to rain again on Friday so I’m going to remove the fuel tank, clean any debris, and install a new fuel line. This may be a big job. The seat pan, and running boards are all one piece and have to be totally removed along with the pedals. I’ll remove the 50” deck first since I’m going to service it as well.

Well this LT sit all year last year until the other day. I done some research back in the winter and found that Kohler made three starters for this tractor and others trying to remedy the dragging problem. The first was not strong enough and parts never held up. The second had a couple of improvements but also never held up. What they call the third generation starter was totally redesigned but is costly. Last year Cub Cadet was selling these for around $230. Now the more reputable parts houses have them for $120.- $180. I ordered one a few days ago and was really happy to see it was what I needed. I found out that some parts houses are selling the 2nd generation starter as a “New and Improved heavy duty “ starter at around $50. The best way to identify the 3rd gen starter is instead of having 10 teeth on the pinion they have 9. and they are shorter.

I had to do some cleaning, darn mice. At least this time no chewed wires like the other time I had to rewire some of it.
View attachment 79315View attachment 79316View attachment 79317View attachment 79318

I got the starter installed today and was concerned about the gas. It’s been almost two years since this ran. I started draining the gas but noticed it was really clear and no bad smell. I know it had Sea Foam that was added as I do all my equipment at the end of the year because I never drain the carbs or tanks for storage. My curiosity was killing me. I stopped draining the gas and hooked it back up. The gas was flowing very slow which has always been a problem or not flowing at all because of the tank clogging up. I shot a blast of air up through the hose to the tank and it started flowing again. Now new starter, filter full of gas I’m ready to go. I’ve never seen this engine spin that fast, starter engaged and after about five seconds it started! I let it run with about a quarter choke then it was ready for no choke. I let it warm up then shut it off. I turned the key and an instant start right away. I pulled it out of the shop and everything works as it should. I done this three more times then later no gas in the filter again.
View attachment 79319View attachment 79320

I’m so happy with this now. It’s going to rain again on Friday so I’m going to remove the fuel tank, clean any debris, and install a new fuel line. This may be a big job. The seat pan, and running boards are all one piece and have to be totally removed along with the pedals. I’ll remove the 50” deck first since I’m going to service it as well.
Thanks for that update, Jim. Glad that starter is going to solve the dragging problem. It really looks like it's going to be a good tractor for you.''I have never heard of foam filled tires. Can you fill me in?

DAC

Not sure Doug I went to check the tires and there’s a valve stem but no valve. Lol They are factory filled. They grip like no other turfs I have, they’re soft and so far puncture free. They feel more like a gel because of the way they flex. I know on YouTube some try the spray foam but from all the years I’ve used that stuff I wouldn’t do that.

Yes, the Courage single was junk! Twin cams that often snap in two! I have two CC 1040's I can make one runner to sell if I had time. One has broken camshaft and other had caught fire, but just melted some engine plastic. One deck is std v belt and other one has timed deck with tooth belt. If I ever get to them, I'll have to decide which deck to go with.
IMG_20240307_114149.jpg

I got the seat and fender pan off to remove the fuel tank today. Only six bolts holds it on. There is one carriage bolt on each side to the frame. One kept spinning on me with a nylock nut. I used my Dremel tool with a mini cutoff wheel to cut a slot in the top of the bolt so a screw driver could hold it.
IMG_9937.jpegIMG_9940.jpegIMG_9942.jpeg

I found out what was blocking my fuel tank as I was blowing it out. Out came a red rubber gasket that belongs inside the fuel cap. Other than that the tank was clean. I ran a new hose from the tank to the shutoff valve. I had more 5/16 hoses than I do 1/4 so I used the 5/16 from the tank to the shutoff valve. I have some fuel filters coming tomorrow so I’ll replace that later. I had already replaced the hoses from the filter to the fuel pump.
IMG_9956.jpegIMG_9957.jpegIMG_9958.jpeg

I got it all back together and went for another ride, a lot farther this time. Lol

I started cleaning the deck and it was a mess. I sharpened the blades and cleaned the deck. It’ll be a few weeks before I need this so I’m debating wether or not to wire brush it and spray a coat of Rustoleum rust reformer. I noticed the belt has a small cut in it but looks minor. The center spindle has a little play in it. I priced a pair of bearings for around $30. but I can get the whole spindle assembly with almost 2K good reviews for $27. Plus tax. I think I’ll do that.
IMG_9961.jpegIMG_9962.jpeg

Can't go wrong for 27 bucks on the full spindle, Jim. The one thing I do like about more modern decks is the "spoke" design of the spindle housing. That probably lets a lot of crap fall through and even more if the operator actually cleans the top of the deck after each mow. Not many regular folks think of that. Yeah us tractor fanatics I suppose are irregular---LOL!

DAC

Back