Cushman Front-line mower

Leave the glow plugs off and try a very small shot of ether. If it starts remove the valve cover and find if an intake valve is sticking. If it is there will be excess lash in one or maybe more of them. It might also help to squirt a little motor oil in the cylinders as the rings may be too dry to make full compression.
Mike

Reset the valves and still have two leaking. One intake and one exhaust. So I pulled the head. This is the first time I've seen a head gasket on a diesel installed with black silicone. Anyway the cylinders look very good with no scoring. The valve stems are carboned up not nearly as bad on the D905 that I did earlier. I think I will pull the valves and check them while the head is off.
I sure miss not having a pressure washer in the winter.
If you click on the photos they are a lot clearer.
20181117_182932.jpg20181117_182949.jpg

I now have the head gasket but it did not come with the seal for the oil passage. Would like to get this back together. Any one know if an O-ring can be used?

Yes and no. It starts right up BUT it sounds like there is one bad injector. I've run it a couple of times hoping it would come out of it but no go. I've put it back outside until spring. Smokes up the shop too bad. :mad:.
Can't tell if it uses oil yet. If nothing else I will use it as a parts engine for the Kubota snow blower.

Chris, I just registered to ask this question! Do you still have the PTO clutches off this machine? I would also be interested in the hydrostatic unit also. I have two of these mowers and need this to get my 2nd running.
Thanks Ben

Last edited:
I believe it is still out there. I'd have to look and see. Family is staying here this week so if you haven't heard back from me send me a private message on Saturday as a reminder.

Thanks for the reminder. Just wrote a note to put by the door. I'll try and get back to you this evening or tomorrow at the latest.
Chris

I just signed up to look for a gear box for the deck on my Cushman . The tractor is a model 898807 and the deck is a model 886972. If someone out there has a deck to sell with the late model front wheels I might be interested in the whole deck. My tractor has the Kubota engine. It is not stuck but has not been run in 25 years so I plan to rebuild it.

Ive got a frontline mower also with the 950 D motor. Love it but I need a starter. Does anyone have a part#? I dont know what year it is but its got the 21hp motor I think.

I bought a gear started for my d600 last year for under $100 off ebay. Made a world of difference on starting. I think the starters are the same for all the 3 cylinder but could be wrong on that. I have the OEM starter that is good, just changed for the faster & cold weather starting.

For those that have a starter cranking slowly, I had a 90 HP outboard several yrs that was doing that. After checking all the wires, solenoid etc I disassembled the starter, cleaned it up and greased the shaft bushings and for 8 yrs until I sold it it cranked like a new one. Ever since I've wondered how many starters get thrown in the junk pile for that reason.

Back