Do you have . . .

We have many of those too. Some the size of a small car.
The head size rocks that I mentioned earlier is the size the retailer prefers.

Ah, got it. That makes sense. I am dealing with a "small-car" size one right now. Not sure how to proceed. Was thinking of digging a large hole right next to it, and let it drop down into the ground further, so it's fully buried. Alternatives are to rent a rock hammer, or to blast it.

(sorry to hijack this thread from a cordless hole drill-bit to rocks in PA! ;))

No that's fine. Apparently, this post wasn't appealing to anyone.

"Actually there's been a guy around here that's taking stones off the stone rows and selling them to a landscaping place down Jersey somewhere. They were free at first till the farmers got wise to it.... "
Does this refer to the old stone walls that I have seen in eastern PA?

No that's fine. Apparently, this post wasn't appealing to anyone.

Does this refer to the old stone walls that I have seen in eastern PA?
It does.
In fact an old wise tail was that the stone rows could be used for fence lines to keep cows in. Said they wouldn't cross them....

Well I'm here to tell you that I got my ass chased out ,up and over a stone row by a bull that didn't feel I belonged on his side. He scaled like it a mountain climber..! o_O

One man's useless rock is another man's decorating treasure. Around here an unusual or large rock brings decent money in landscaping circles. One small town near me got tired of replacing post and cable barricades to keep vehicles off the grass at their little park and replaced the fences with rocks the size of stoves and fridges. Problem solved. Here's my lawn ornament rock.

Attachments

• IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    433.6 KB · Views: 12
If I tried to put a big rock in my yard my wife would disown me. She was raised on a farm and rock picking by hand was not one of her favorite pass times. Now we own the land and after burying a huge rock pile and hand picking the rest I understand completely.
++++++Question. Why is it rocks come up from under the ground and yet dropped coins go down? It does seem that large stones float on dirt better than small ones. Yes I own a metal detector and this is something that has puzzled me.+++++

If I tried to put a big rock in my yard my wife would disown me. She was raised on a farm and rock picking by hand was not one of her favorite pass times. Now we own the land and after burying a huge rock pile and hand picking the rest I understand completely.
++++++Question. Why is it rocks come up from under the ground and yet dropped coins go down? It does seem that large stones float on dirt better than small ones. Yes I own a metal detector and this is something that has puzzled me.+++++
Frost heaving and erosion causes it. I get a nice crop of rocks every spring when I till my garden. After 17 years, it’s slowed down but they still pop up. Now that my boys are grown the game of let’s see who can throw the most rocks the farthest into the woods doesn’t work anymore.

Ah the old frost pushed it up... no you driving over the soil pushed it up! And mother nature took the soil it displaced by erosion. My daughter learned this earlier in the school year .

Here's a discussion of the same subject:

Back