Good price for LEDs

I bought whatever brand of 6’ that rural king has. Hung them in my basement. They have been on for 2 or 3 years now without ever really being shut off. So far so good. These Chinese brand lights are hit or miss.

I bought whatever brand of 6’ that rural king has. Hung them in my basement. They have been on for 2 or 3 years now without ever really being shut off. So far so good. These Chinese brand lights are hit or miss.
Just about any led is a hit or miss. I have strung a lot of led under cabinet lighting over the years. I wonder how many of those are still working.

I had to buy LEDs for my garage not long ago. I found a website with lots of reviews, which helped me choose. I got a pack of four 5000-lumen, 60-watt LEDs, each 4 feet long. They cost me about $50, which is a reasonable price for how bright they are.

Before you decide, check out some reviews. It's beneficial to see what others say, how long they last and if they save energy. You can also see the reviews and choose the one suitable for you.

Last edited:
Mine are almost five years old now and still very happy with them. The brightness is good but I like the quick start up in the winter time vs the old fluorescents with the ballast. We’ve had everything converted to LED’s for about four years now. I’m not sure if I actually see a change in the electric bill concerning the lights but it’s got to have some savings.

Mine are almost five years old now and still very happy with them. The brightness is good but I like the quick start up in the winter time vs the old fluorescents with the ballast. We’ve had everything converted to LED’s for about four years now. I’m not sure if I actually see a change in the electric bill concerning the lights but it’s got to have some savings.
Yea I have everything switched over to LED's. Thought the electric company would owe me money....
NOT...
Honestly didn't see a penny difference...

I still need to see about going to ballast bypass 4' LED tubes for my shop. Since the fixtures are so high and I'm becoming an unsteady geezer I don't want to take down heavy old fixtures and hang new ones, all off a ladder. Be much easier to just disconnect to ballast rewire and install the new tubes. I remember struggling by myself to hang the fixtures 30+ years ago so it's out of the question now. When it got down into the 20's out in the lift room last week the lights barely even lit up right away. So dim I almost thought the breaker must have tripped. It was well below zero air temp with high wind outside.

DAC

I have 3-4' florescent lights in the shop area. Have 3 or 4 regular tubes yet so when they are gone will change over. Put two of the 3 panel LED panels lights up in the machine shed. One is a nice bright white I got at Menards. Other is a yellow color and not near as bright I got at a close out F&H store. Brand does make a difference.

This is what I used in my shop. Best thing I ever did.
Thanks for the link, Ducky! My tubes have the 2 exposed pins rather than these socket end ones. Will need to research that.

My shop has over 50 4' tubes in it. 4 -4 bulb fixtures just in the office. Will have to make the transition a little at a time. I still have 21 new tubes, BUT there are 7 out there that are burned out that I need to get changed!

Better start figuring out what I'm going to do.

DAC

I had to change some 4 footers also. These are the ones I used.
Exactly what I would need, Ducky, Thank you! Looks like 600 bucks might convert the whole shop.

I had several 8' fixtures at one time but didn't want to buy tubes for them any more. Got rid of them back when I could still handle awkward stuff on a ladder. Glad I did it then!

DAC

Exactly what I would need, Ducky, Thank you! Looks like 600 bucks might convert the whole shop.

I had several 8' fixtures at one time but didn't want to buy tubes for them any more. Got rid of them back when I could still handle awkward stuff on a ladder. Glad I did it then!

DAC
Doug you need to do some research before you buy. There are a few variables when converting. You definitely won’t need the same amount of LED tubes that you have now. I have a 22’x 32’ shop that had 14 of the 4’ two tube fluorescent fixtures. I only replaced them with 8 of the 4’ two tube LED fixtures. Mine can be linked up to 4 together by only plugging them into each other. I divided my shop in half and only need 4 most of the time.

Doug you need to do some research before you buy. There are a few variables when converting. You definitely won’t need the same amount of LED tubes that you have now. I have a 22’x 32’ shop that had 14 of the 4’ two tube fluorescent fixtures. I only replaced them with 8 of the 4’ two tube LED fixtures. Mine can be linked up to 4 together by only plugging them into each other. I divided my shop in half and only need 4 most of the time.
Jim you make a good point about the amount of lights needed.
I went from 8 - 8' fluorescent (64') to 10 - 4' (40') LED and have more light than before.
Only paid about $20-25 per lite , don't remember exactly but not more than that. Up 5 years now so they're doing good yet.

Back