Has anyone ever seen one of these?

Cadman-iac

Tractorologist
I got this tractor several years back just because it had this front loader on it. Well, that, and because the tractor itself was almost identical to the one I already had. The only difference was the engine. Mine has the onan 2 cylinder, this one has the Briggs 1 cylinder.
But I have never seen another one with this attachment on it before. Anyone else?

Rick

Attachments

• 20200817_152612.jpg
    20200817_152612.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 37
I'll try to get some actual pictures of the unit today and post them here so you can see this thing. It's in pretty rough shape but it's mostly complete. I'm only missing a couple small brackets if I read the destructions correctly.
I'm still soaking the pump pulley to try and get it off of the pump so I can take it apart and inspect and clean it.
The control valve has to be soaked and disassembled as well.
It's all been sitting out in the weather for years. I'm hoping that the rams are still good too. If not, I don't know if there's a source for new ones. Since Sears has gone belly up it's a crapshoot at best.

Rick

Another thing about this unit is that it's apparently hard on the tractor. The one it was used on has had multiple repairs to the front axle assembly and both spindles had to be reinforced.
It also came with a dual tire setup for the rear axle, using these square adapters that fit between each wheel. Both of these are rusted solid and the bolts are all broken off of them. One was so bad I tossed it in the scrap pile.
It would be nice if I could get it working again, if only for the novelty of it. It's not something that you could get much work done with as it's too small to be effective. But in a small garden with loose dirt I can see where it could help. It beats a shovel and wheelbarrow.

Rick

so here's some pictures of this thing. Like I said, it's rough, but I think it's salvageable.

Attachments

• 20200818_105304.jpg
    20200818_105304.jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200818_105253.jpg
    20200818_105253.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200818_105318.jpg
    20200818_105318.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 32
Looks like an interesting project. What tractor will you mount it on?
Wellif I can get it operational without too much cash outlay, it's going on my '75 Sears tractor. It was an ss16 with the Onan engine, but that's worn out, (the engine), so I'm working on getting this 15hp Briggs in it.
You know that you have to change the front of the frame to match the engine you're using? I didn't realize that until I started this project. Here's a picture of what I have done so far to the tractor itself. It's painted Pontiac blue because that is as close as I could get to what the other tractor was originally. I guess that was the color Sears had them painted. Regardless, it looks good, so why not?

Rick

Well, I know nothing about Sears tractors (hit up member Tahoe for that stuff!), but that loader is certainly not a novelty! It looks like the Johnson loaders that John Deere sold, although someone else will be able to identify for sure. It is a bit lighter than the custom-built one on my Massey, but they can do a LOT of work!

Yep. Got one on a Sears 18-6 Onan powered.
Sears 18   6 010.JPG
Built it a wider bucket for handling snow.
20191113_130143.jpg
The original bucket wouldn't cut a path wide enough for the duel wheels so the outside duel would ride up on undisturbed snow and lose traction.
Also made three rail chains.20191113_130201.jpg
Without the duel wheels and wheel weights it is not useful at all. No traction when loaded and very unstable. I very nearly turned it over several times. The front axle pivots in the center so provides no stability. If one of the back wheels runs over a pine cone or large rock it kicks the bucket sideways, the higher the bucket the more the sideways movement and the high center of gravity can easily take over. I use that tractor more than any other I have.
MH81 can you post detailed pictures of your forks. Materials list. Did you do a build thread? I did trash forks for mine but they were a fail. Used them for sifting rocks out of lose dirt but they didn't last long.
Don

Wow! I guess there's more of these than I thought. Thanks for the pictures, it makes me want to get it going all the more.
I don't really need it to do a lot of work with, I have an old Ford Jubilee with an adapted front loader on it for that, but the bucket on it is only 4 feet wide, and the wheels are close to 6 feet wide.
I know what you mean about having the extra weight on the rear though, I had to fill all the tires on the Ford with water. The rear to keep it on the ground, the front to keep it from collapsing when there's a load in the bucket.
I'm just figuring that this little unit will be able to get in places that the Ford won't.
Yes, your pictures are inspiration for me to keep after this. I'm glad I never got tired of looking at this and threw it in the scrap metal pile. The thought has crossed my mind once or twice before, but the cool factor of having this actually working stopped me from going through with it.
Thank you all for the information and pictures. It's been an eye opener.

Rick

I don't know if the hydraulic rams on mine are any good yet, eventually gotta check those out somehow.
Has anyone else had to replace one, and if so, where did you get it?

Rick

The rams on mine are fine. I have no idea about availability of replacement. It is likely that having your existing rams repaired would be much less expensive. It appears from your pictures to have been left with the rams retracted, that is a good thing. I believe that these were originally built for a high end market and very good quality. I have a Ford 8N with front loader. I Adapted forks to it and it will lift and transport a one ton pallet of stove pellets. To do this requires a massive amount of counterweight. For any thing under 400 lbs and about 6 foot lift I will walk right past the ford to go to the Sears every time. The sears is much easier to get on and off. Much more maneuverable, and with the High low transmission much more delicate and controllable. If I am moving any thing more than a few pounds more than a few feet it is in the bucket.
Don

Thanks Don, I'm hoping that they are ok because as you said they are retracted. I made sure they were when I put it up for storage.
I am unaware of any place around here that can service one of those rams, but I haven't really been actively looking either. I just threw the question out there to get an idea of what if any sources others have used. I appreciate your response. Thank you.

Rick

I would love to find a loader for Steph to use to clean up the rabbit poop with. Gertie is way to big to get in there, so she winds up shoveling poop in to the bucket. A small loader would be so much nicer.

The rams on mine are fine. I have no idea about availability of replacement. It is likely that having your existing rams repaired would be much less expensive. It appears from your pictures to have been left with the rams retracted, that is a good thing. I believe that these were originally built for a high end market and very good quality. I have a Ford 8N with front loader. I Adapted forks to it and it will lift and transport a one ton pallet of stove pellets. To do this requires a massive amount of counterweight. For any thing under 400 lbs and about 6 foot lift I will walk right past the ford to go to the Sears every time. The sears is much easier to get on and off. Much more maneuverable, and with the High low transmission much more delicate and controllable. If I am moving any thing more than a few pounds more than a few feet it is in the bucket.
Don
Mine is a hydro, so infinite speed control and rapid fwd-rev

The axel on mine is not Sears. It's off a 300 series JD and has 2" of forward sweep. HUGE difference in capabilities.
I have 2 sets of weights on the rear plus another 400# behind the axel.

The rig with me but without a load is close to 1800 lbs.

It lifts far more than I should ask of it.

As for the build, no I didn't.
I keep meaning to take detailed measurements, but life keeps happening

Mine is a hydro, so infinite speed control and rapid fwd-rev

The axel on mine is not Sears. It's off a 300 series JD and has 2" of forward sweep. HUGE difference in capabilities.
I have 2 sets of weights on the rear plus another 400# behind the axel.

The rig with me but without a load is close to 1800 lbs.

It lifts far more than I should ask of it.

As for the build, no I didn't.
I keep meaning to take detailed measurements, but life keeps happening
Maybe some close up pictures?
Don

I have thought about transferring mine to my John Deere 235 with the foot controlled hydro. I know if I do that I will immediately locate another loader that would fit it better.
Don

I would love to find a loader for Steph to use to clean up the rabbit poop with. Gertie is way to big to get in there, so she winds up shoveling poop in to the bucket. A small loader would be so much nicer.
For just rabbit poop a johnny bucket may work. I moved a lot of dirt with mine.
Don

Back