How to remove chute 917.290680

Jazz

Tractorologist
Now that we are in the midst of a blizzard I decided I would like to fix chute. Anyone know how the chute is fastened. If I can see what its resting on I can possibly do something to keep it from wobbling around and then the screw crank will work. I have the manual but it really does not show how its attached.....I have another method as back up but wife not to crazy about sitting on hood and adjusting hood manuallyIMG_3181.JPG

I think mine has three set bolts that are equi-distant around the area below the ring gear

I tried looking up your model # at Sears Parts and can't find that. Did find a snowthrower with the model # of 917.250680. Has the set of three clips Alan spoke of.

I did find a manual for a 917.250660 that be real close to yours.

Attachments

• 917.250660.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I tried looking up your model # at Sears Parts and can't find that. Did find a snowthrower with the model # of 917.250680. Has the set of three clips Alan spoke of.
There are a set of three bolts around the chute but I cant access the bolt head which is inside the chute. I could not find any info online and no doubt removing chute is a simple procedure but there is some welding on chute that might be part of the problem.

Page 3 of the manual says how the chute is installed when new. Hope it helps you!

Unless you have an impact wrench, it might be easiest to cut the heads off those bolts and replace them with new ones.

I think mine has three set bolts that are equi-distant around the area below the ring gear

I removed chute today. I’m assuming those tabs are to be adjusted to keep chute from wobbling about as well as fastening it to unit???
Maybe mine are worn, I can add metal to make them thicker.

64E3B0D1-669B-4EEE-91E6-F73DA02A9322.jpeg

The manual I posted above says to put some on there.

Biggest issue is all the wobble in chute causing worm gear to bind. I will be sure to lube it, silicone lube should be excellent unless I find a tube of synthetic grease. Dinosaur grease gets like tar up here in cold weather. It will be nice to get chute moving without having to get off machine and move it by hand. Been using my walk behind most times, actually changed oil in walk behind today as I am expecting a foot of snow in driveway when I get back in the morning.
The chute could use some love as well.
IMG_3310.JPG

Would you be able to get a piece of that white plastic they use for wear areas? I've seen that in stuff less than a quarter inch thick.
Don't even know what it is called, but I hope I'm explaining well enough.

Would you be able to get a piece of that white plastic they use for wear areas? I've seen that in stuff less than a quarter inch thick.
Don't even know what it is called, but I hope I'm explaining well enough.

I had considered that. Make a plastic ring. Cheapest product is Teflon cutting boards from Dollarama. First I will see if adjusting the TABS will tighten it up. Replacing tabs with a roller bearing would be slick as well.
Just dealt with a foot of snow with walk behind so maybe tomorrow get to tinkering with chute

While you have it torn down, it might be a good idea to close the gap between the paddles and the back wall.

PO did some brazing at some time and I have found chute does not sit quite level due to this area causing the wonkiness of chute.4DC65393-569E-448D-AFD9-1779790625D3.jpegi will tinker more this week if life does not get in the way.
I am starting to think Kenny’s suggestion of putting reins on the chute quite brilliant.
These chute controls are really a PIA considering the lift lever interferes with the control

Last edited:
Okay,, I think these chutes were wonky right out of the factory. I am not going to get to carried away with thisED5BC59D-7B29-4989-86CD-16DD26663501.jpeg

Back