I hate philips screws

Ok then,
What's the difference between a Phillips and Reed prince?
I remember seeing crapsman screwdrivers in the set of 14-ish that they used to sell and the Phillips ones had a blue band where the Reed prince had a red band on the handle.

And when I was in high school one of my shop classes we had a "tool test" and the pix were typical 80s Xerox school printer quality, both looked identical on the page.
I think that the idiot shop teacher did this just to mess with me, he marked mine as having-2. 2 wrong answers. Supposedly I mixed up Phillips with Reed prince.
Other than on that stupid test (I think that it was sophomore year) I don't think I have ever seen or used a Reed prince fastener or driver.
I have one of those Reed prince drivers that came with the biggest crapsman set sears sold back in 1980, and every time I had tried to use it, it would want to jump out of the screw head. I never did figure out what it's supposed to be used on. Not even sure where it's at anymore. You don't keep track of useless tools you know.

Rick

Any thoughts on removing panhead philips screws with stripped heads? They're holding the throttle position sensor on the throttle body of my truck, have throttle body off and soaking back side of screws with deep creep, help!

I know got it fixed now, but I would have suggested that you grind the heads off of the screws, slide the sensor over the rest, and then use vice grips to turn the screw shafts out.
But not knowing how much room you have to work with, that may or may not work.
Glad you got it fixed though.

Rick

I know got it fixed now, but I would have suggested that you grind the heads off of the screws, slide the sensor over the rest, and then use vice grips to turn the screw shafts out.
But not knowing how much room you have to work with, that may or may not work.
Glad you got it fixed though.

Rick
That's exactly what I did, but instead of grinding, I used a drill.

Found that reed prince screwdriver today. I've had it since 1980 and it looks almost as good as it did in 1980. That's because it's useless and never gets used.

Attachments

• 20200820_130725.jpg
    20200820_130725.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200820_130730.jpg
    20200820_130730.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 16
I know it's been a while since you posted about those frustrating stripped panhead Philips screws, but I thought I'd still drop a friendly reply in case you're still following the thread.

Found that reed prince screwdriver today. I've had it since 1980 and it looks almost as good as it did in 1980. That's because it's useless and never gets used.
Reed and Prince ( Fearson Drive ) screws are generally used in wood working. The driver is made with a steeper angle than Philips . They are also designed to closely fit the slot in the screw and go in deeper. Fearson screws are designed to withstand more applied torque than Philips screws.

I know it's been a while since you posted about those frustrating stripped panhead Philips screws, but I thought I'd still drop a friendly reply in case you're still following the thread.

Dealing with stripped screw heads can be a real pain, especially when they're holding important parts like the throttle position sensor on your truck's throttle body. I hope you were able to resolve the issue back then.
I think you might find scrooz.com.au helpful. They offer a wide range of fasteners and hardware solutions, which could be helpful if you need replacements or other tools for your truck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back