I listened to the banker, should have passed.

I didn't even have a load on the loader one time and had it low enough I could see over it.
I ran over a small chunk of snow that had rolled out the side of the back blade the day before then froze over night , was maybe as big as a basket ball.
Up came that side and gave me that sick felling and another seat pleat was made.

Before.

vsBvofL.jpg

After.

x2vM2KK.jpg

Need mud guards now really.

:D Al

I don't have a close up of the scabbard. It is simple to make, measure bar width with chain, cut the in my case T 11 two inches wider, cut a 1" strip of 1 by sandwich the 1by strips between the my case T11. I drilled holes for the ROPs bracket in the scarbbard added the bolts and bracket.

How much wood do you burn?
With all this cutting, it would seem that you wouldn't even need to burn it to stay warm.

Dan

Well if you take 4 saws, 2 big ones for blocking and a medium one for blocking and limbing and a little one for limbing.
When the chain gets dull on a big one you just change saws not need to stop and sharpen the chain. If the second big one gets dull you use the medium one so you don't have to sharpen a chain. the little one is th ahandiest one for limbing and noodleing a round enough a wedge will split it to handling size.
After a bit set down on a stump and change chains on the saws taking a break. Drink a good bit of water to rehydrate while your doing it. Then get off your duff and get back to work.

Back at the ranch take all the chains and sharpen them for the next day. then you can go in and relax with a supper knowing you put in a good day cutting fire wood. Al

The entire house is heated with fire wood only. I burn around 12 to 14 face coard a year in our England 28 3500 ad on furnace. Keeps the coldest room in the house (NW corner) a comphy 75F all winter, even the coldest days.

A cord is 128 cubic feet if wood. So it wouldnt matter how long or big the pieces are.

You would have the same area of wood but fewer pieces being longer.

A cord is a measurement that is so often twisted and messed with. Sellers often short it to the point that some buyers stack and measure immediately.

I have 3 saws only because the third one is the biggest and was free for getting 2 others running. Use the big one for blocking the big (24" +). I have cut all day with 2 saws and never had to change chains. I keep them out of the dirt, frozen ground, etc. Cut mostely dead Oak. If it ever quits raining I might be able to get some wood cut. Have 1/2 mile of dirt road to get to the timber.

Back in the Mid 80's I would take my tri axel trailer to my dads place SE of Cadillac Mi and leave it there for a week. Following week end I would go up and get it. There would be 10 full cords on it (cord 8'x8'x4') bring it home and unload it. Return the trailer the next week end for another load.

Once I had 3 loads 30 cords here at home I would put the buzz rig on my Massey Harris 30 get my brother and a cousin to come and we would buzz wood all day. We were just leffitn the cut pieces fall off the saw and back the tractor and buzz rig along the piles. I'd give both 2 pick upo loads of the cut stuff fo helping me buzz it.

By the 90's the loggers stopped dropping loads on my trailer. They had bought a fire wood processer and were selling all they could cut every year.

If you are only burning 4-5 cords, that's not bad.
Years ago my neighbor up North would buy 10 cord loads (100") every summer/fall of birch/maple mix from local loggers, and then cut and split it for the next year. This a large house with a wood furnace. He got them cheap enough it wasn't worth it to go into the woods to cut it himself.
(this is near the Canadian border where it can get cool)

I don't miss not burning wood. Too many years of stacking and cutting.

When I helped Graham with a tree this summer he kept splitting it down to kindling size. He couldn't understand that it would burn up very fast and he should leave larger pieces.

I can fit 12x25 inch stuff in the furnace. I usally split the 12 down to 6 so I can handle it.
But some times I will slide a big old piece in there.

If you are only burning 4-5 cords, that's not bad.
Years ago my neighbor up North would buy 10 cord loads (100") every summer/fall of birch/maple mix from local loggers, and then cut and split it for the next year. This a large house with a wood furnace. He got them cheap enough it wasn't worth it to go into the woods to cut it himself.
(this is near the Canadian border where it can get cool)

Cool? Canadian border?

It’ll get cold enough that when you’re takin a leak here it’s frozen before you get yellow snow.

Back