I think I'm losing my mind.

bbuckler

Tractorologist
So my farmall cub started flooding and leaking out the mouth of the carb. I rebuilt the carb twice once with a amazon kit then again with a kit from TM tractors that alot of the farmall guys recommended , adjusted float and it still flooded so I broke down and bought a new carb and still it flooding it acts like it wants to start but when you choke it gas pours out the mouth. Any ideas ??

A couple thoughts for you:

1) On my Cub setting the float height did not give me the correct fuel level, I ended up actually measuring the level to get the correct float height. It takes a hose barb in the bowl drain hole and a piece of clear tubing. To compound your potential problem there are apparently some Cub kits floating around that have the wrong float height in the instructions.

2) It's normal for an updraft intake to spill some fuel when starting, particularly in cold weather. Your Cub has a drain near the choke butterfly to dump that fuel. If the tractor doesn't start for any reason it will dump enough fuel to be easily confused with a flooded float bowl.

Re-reading your post it appears that the gas doesn't run out until you crank it with choke. That sounds like #2 above.

The reason I was measuring the fuel level in my Cub was because it was almost impossible to start hot. After chasing a lot of things it turned out the carburetor was not my problem. In hindsight it seems the Cub is tolerant of a wide range of fuel levels. If it's not spilling fuel until you crank it you should probably be looking for a different cause.

Cleaned the points , drained the carb and fuel tank it did start when I added a little fuel to the bowl and played with the throttle. Tomorrow I will re hook up the gas tank and put in fresh fuel. I guess the issue was the fuel I thought was fresh wasn't the kids left out the can in the rain.

I think it still needs points , plug wires and Im not sure about that amazon carb maybe I will buy the good one. While it will start and idle it takes alot of cranking

Last edited:
Back