Interesting Deck Spindle Design

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
I seen a video about why so many deck spindle bearings are failing on the newer tractors. Both upper and lower bearings are the sealed type. The zerk if there is one is basically there to make you think your maintaining the deck. Even if you fill the large housing no grease will enter the bearing. He suggested removing the bearing and remove the bearing seal ring facing the inside of the housing then reinstall. He never said so but the thought is this was an intensional design to cause failure in a short time.

My thoughts are pack the open bearing like we use to do and leave the inner seal off then fill the housing with grease.

I often just use a razor knife and take a nick out of the inside seals, next to center. This way grease gets in, but gyro forces grease outward, and with bulk of the seal in place, it keeps grease from falling out of top bearing when hot, leaving all in lower bearing and top bearing running dry. Of course you can completely remove the inner seal on bottom bearing.

I think that the reason for the greasing of the space between the bearings is to keep out any water. In my opinion, grease also makes its way into the seals and bearings.
Sheenist

I seen a video about why so many deck spindle bearings are failing on the newer tractors. Both upper and lower bearings are the sealed type. The zerk if there is one is basically there to make you think your maintaining the deck. Even if you fill the large housing no grease will enter the bearing. He suggested removing the bearing and remove the bearing seal ring facing the inside of the housing then reinstall. He never said so but the thought is this was an intensional design to cause failure in a short time.

My thoughts are pack the open bearing like we use to do and leave the inner seal off then fill the housing with grease.
When those bearings are made they are assembled with a minimum amount of grease and sealed. A tech a long time ago told me if those bearings were packed with marine type grease from the factory they would probably outlive the mower deck. As far as the grease zerk, it is to fill the void , if possible to keep moisture out. The grease cannot reach the bearings and the inner race. When I completely rebuild the 48M on my Homelite I will remove one side of the rubber gasket / seal and fill the bearings with red and tacky grease a reinstall the gasket / seal.

Back