JD 316 3-Point Hitch Build

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
I got this poor old 316 a while back. I hope to replace the 16 HP Onan with a rebuilt P220. I have been looking at the rear lift as it is and plan to add a 3-point to the back. I have the plans for a 318 3-pt.
DSCN3996.JPG

Here's is what is on the back right now. I added a close up to make it easier to see. I think this tractor had a bagger on it at one time. I have no use for those parts, so if you want them, speak up.
DSCN3995.JPG DSCN3995(2).JPG

I started with making the plates for the lower arms. They have some extra holes in them, but shouldn't cause an issue.
DSCN4241.JPG

Next I made up the top center link parts to weld to the rockshaft.
DSCN4242.JPG

Here's a screenshot of the hitch. The red #'s are what I have made so far. I'll have to find some 2" x 3/8" bar stock to make the upper lift assy's.
318 3-Point layout2.jpg

I may step out a bit from the JD plans. I am hoping an extra set of Sears FF/20 lower arms will work with this. Won't know until I get the lower arm plates attached. From what I have found, they have about 5/8" more offset in them.
DSCN2740.JPG

It may take me a while to complete all this but I will post updates as I make progress.

I got the lower plates off the tractor. I wanted to move it to the shop, but the old starter just wasn't up to the task. And I can't get it off without pulling the engine! :(
First off was removing the bagger parts as they hang way low for plowing.
DSCN4243.JPG

Then I turned the plate over and located the parts for the lower arms.
DSCN4244.JPG

Got that one welded up.
DSCN4245.JPG

Then got the other done. Been some time since I arc welded but I bet they hold.
DSCN4246.JPG

Hope to paint tomorrow!

Last edited:
I got the parts painted today! I went ahead and did up the hitch since it will be right with these parts. I'll put them on tomorrow maybe!
DSCN4247.JPG DSCN4248.JPG

Last edited:
The paint dried enough I could put it back together. Stuck the Sears arms on and found them to have too much offset. Need to build some to JD specs. At $30 for one stick of 2" X 3/8" X 36" bar stock (X3 I need), may be a while before I finish this.

DSCN4249.JPG DSCN4250.JPG DSCN4251.JPG

That is like throwing a wrench in the gears of progress. It looks like the JD has a fairly wide mounting on the arms.

That is like throwing a wrench in the gears of progress. It looks like the JD has a fairly wide mounting on the arms.
A lot wider than the Sears (Peerless) mounts!

About like what I have on the Gravely. Which is about 14" apart. And then my arms are straight, no offset.

Well I did a regroup on this! The JD lower arms sit at about 14" apart. The Sears (Peerless 2500 rear end) is right at 13". JD calls for a 2.85 off set in the lower arms. The Sears has a 3.5" offset. Plus I found one of mine was bent outward, adding to the mess. After closer scrutiny, I feel I can use what I have. So I just need one 3' stick of the 3/8" bar stock and one of the 1.5" X 1/4" for the lower brackets. Won't be 'pure JD', but it'll work.

Another regroup! It's about a 60 mile round trip, but I can get a 20' stick of 2" X 3/8" for less than $35. That beats TSC prices! I got to looking at how the lift links work on this and the length of the lower arms. The Sears lower arms are 2" longer and where the lift links hook in is at a different spot. So I'll have to go get some metal as I want this to be close to the JD plans, just not exact.

Looking good Kenny! I've always wanted to put 3pt on my JD 430, but haven't felt up to doing it yet. I do have the OE lift arms, and lower half of the link arms, but nothing else.

Looking good Kenny! I've always wanted to put 3pt on my JD 430, but haven't felt up to doing it yet. I do have the OE lift arms, and lower half of the link arms, but nothing else.
I have the drawing for a 318. You may have it too.
I did some thought process today for the ball mounts for the upper arms. Finally found a configuration to weld the studs to the ball mount decently.
DSCN4252.JPG DSCN4253.JPG

DSCN4254.JPG DSCN4255.JPG

Now for some 3/8" bar stock!

Looking real good Kenny especially the jig. You know any lack of detail can be made up once it gets green paint.

Well today I decided to see what was up with the starter on this thing. Last time I tried to start it I had a 700 CCA battery and 200 amps on the charger. Barely got it to turn over. Good old Onan's, gotta pull the engine to get the starter off. Proud to say this 70 year old man can still lift an Onan out of the frame.
DSCN4256.JPG

Found the starter bendix still out at the flywheel. But I could barely turn the engine over with this:
DSCN4257.JPG

I believe it has issues! Tried getting the flywheel off this afternoon, but that was not happening!

Well today I decided to see what was up with the starter on this thing. Last time I tried to start it I had a 700 CCA battery and 200 amps on the charger. Barely got it to turn over. Good old Onan's, gotta pull the engine to get the starter off. Proud to say this 70 year old man can still lift an Onan out of the frame.
View attachment 7108

Found the starter bendix still out at the flywheel. But I could barely turn the engine over with this:
View attachment 7109

I believe it has issues! Tried getting the flywheel off this afternoon, but that was not happening!
Hope this is the original 316 you are talking about, not the rebuilt p220. Don

Hope this is the original 316 you are talking about, not the rebuilt p220. Don
It's the original B43. Been a b***** to start all along. Very hard to turn over! Seems to be behind the flywheel, but haven't got it to come off yet! Even some love taps from a 4 lb. hammer haven't helped!

Update! I took the outer half of the PTO off and now it turns over very easily. Funny thing is the outside bearing in the PTO is not locked up, a little tight, but still spins on it. Weird!

I'm unsure on how to get the inner half off, no way to put a puller on it.

Back